What YouTubes do you sub?

Tank

I need new stuff to watch. What do ya'll subscribe to?

I watch a lot of Smosh even though I am Way out of the demographic... but I have to know what the kids are into and taking like and they help with that. Also follow a couple horror, filmmaking, and design channels to stay educated. Adam Savage is always fun. Also a couple gamers who I enjoy seeing reactions from.

What I DON'T need-- any more pasty white dudes with glasses and beards who look like me talking about Star Wars.

I'm boring I guess.  I watch a lot of CNN news or history stuff, or videos of how to tear this laptop apart, how to play a song on guitar, or how to install this or that, or general car stuff.  I also like to watch interviews of actors, especially Star Trek actors like the Shuttlepod Show, done by they guys who played Trip and Reed on Enterprise.  Another wierd random thing I like is watching videos on which animal would win in a fight like on wildciencias,  and sometimes light spoilers on upcoming movies like Godzilla X Kong.  

What I hate are youtubers who make a living trashing Star Wars or Marvel.  There are literally hundreds of those.  Examples of that trash are Doomcock, Midnights edge, and Critical Drinker.  For some reason those pop up from me watching spoilers I guess.  Never sought that shit out, but watched a few minutes of each and they just babble about this or that being woke or whatever.   I don't know how someone can make it though one of those videos and actually like it.  

Mostly sci fi and nerdy science channels I watch with my boys:

Isaac Arthur

Quinn's Ideas

Kurzgesagt

DestineSpace

And channels of video games I like that I watch for strategies:

Rimworld (Noobert) and a bunch of super nerdy shit like that.

Music. Nothing but music for me. And it's probably not music you guys would listen to as it's mostly for parts I sing in choir. So church music. I'm working on learning to do solos so I need free voice lessons. HA

Oh and math nerd tutoring videos to learn new math stuff because I came up in old math teaching but I am forced to teach in new math speak and UGH. 

So probably nothing you guys want. LOL

So...so very many...too many...

But here are some recommendations!

Creature Features! Great channel if you like old, and some pretty bad, horror and sci fi movies.

The Late Late Horror Show! If you like listening to old radio shows.

The Protein Chef! Want some more protein in your diet? All kinds of recipes!

Orbital Bacon! For when you want to relive Saturday mornings in the 80sa and 90s.

Navajo Traditional Teachings - Just because I'm into that stuff.

Nutty History - Lesser known things in history, can be both weird and/or gross.

Vampire Robot - Want to see a day in the life back in the 80s or 90s?

I watch of TON of old Late Night w/Conan O'Brien clips, specifically the clips where he talks to Arnold Schwarzeneggar via satellite.

Caravan of Garbage

Pitch Meetings (occasionally)

Lots of Music Videos

Classic and new SNL sketches

Tosh Show

We Might Be Drunk

The Jeselnik and Rosenthall Vanity Project

Late Night w/Seth Myers clips from the previous night's show

19 hours ago, Zathras said:

What I hate are youtubers who make a living trashing Star Wars or Marvel.  There are literally hundreds of those.  Examples of that trash are Doomcock, Midnights edge, and Critical Drinker.  For some reason those pop up from me watching spoilers I guess.  Never sought that shit out, but watched a few minutes of each and they just babble about this or that being woke or whatever.   I don't know how someone can make it though one of those videos and actually like it.  

Amen.  Critical Drinker is a joke.  It started off making valid points but then her realized and even admitted that those videos get the most views, so that's all he does now.  So you are basically admitting that you sacrifice the quality and validity of your chanel just for the sake views.  Actually, he literally admitted that in an interview once.

2 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Amen.  Critical Drinker is a joke.  It started off making valid points but then her realized and even admitted that those videos get the most views, so that's all he does now.  So you are basically admitting that you sacrifice the quality and validity of your chanel just for the sake views.  Actually, he literally admitted that in an interview once.

Yeah I have no doubt all those bro tubers are all about the clicks.   What is odd is they don't realize how dependent they are on Star Wars or Marvel, or whatever it is they are bagging on.   They literally make a living bitching about that stuff.  I don't know what is weirder though, that, or the audience that laps that shit up.   

There’s a massive amount of people whose entire personality is based on hate. I was like that in my late teens/early 20s. I thought it made me edgy and interesting. Thank god I grew out of that (though admittedly it can still come out from time to time, but I try not to). A lot of people never do at all.

I’ve never subscribed to a YouTube channel. That’s how they get you! I barely subscribe to anything. I gotta know you for years — decades! — before I do that. What can I say? I’m an old fashioned girl. Except I’m not a girl and I’m not fashionable and I’m not — hold the fort! — yeah, I think I might be old. I think I might be officially old. It took twenty five years but it finally happened!

I mostly just watch things and if I like what I watched I’ll check up on that account later. YouTube itself will sometimes throw things my way. On the main page or the like. That’ll happen.

I haven’t been watching a lot of YouTube stuff lately because I’ve gotten out of the habit of exercising regularly and that’s when I’d tend to watch YouTube.

But what do I watch? What do I still watch? Seth Meyers has this routine bit he does Thursday evenings called ‘Corrections’ where he corrects mistakes on his show. I haven’t had a lot of patience — any, really — for the chuckle club these past eight years or so. But I watch ‘Corrections’. I’ve seen every episode! I’ll watch Team Coco clips so long as it’s clearly just Conan and the co-hosts. The guests ... if it’s a guest I’m interested in I’ll just listen to the whole podcast. I don’t need to see them! I’ll let my ears do the looking.

I’ll watch some Red Letter Media. Not everything they do and not every piece of what they do, of course, if they’re covering something that I kind of plan on seeing later or whatever. And I’m not in any hurry with it, neither. I just watched this thing they did three years ago or so about their favourite TNG episodes.

But what did I watch? Hmm. I had a big folder with just about every YouTube video I ever downloaded for maybe the past 27 months. Can’t seem to find it. I might have accidentally deleted it on the last day of 2023. There was a lot of YouTube in it. Oh well!

Oh, I can just check my browser history. the Always Sunny Podcast. I’d watch that!

Junkball. Jacob Geller. Jon Bois. TheRealJims. Did I ... did I only watch YouTube channels which began with the letter ‘J’? TheBadMovieBible. Brian David Gilbert.

I wouldn’t characterize myself as an exhaustive or completist consumer of anyone’s <spit, cough> content. I haven’t seen all their YouTube! I haven’t seen all their Twitch! And I’m not offering an unequivocal recommendation to anyone mentioned. All their works. All their pomps. I’m just saying I’ve seen some of their YouTube.

I feel like there are at least two dozen other YouTube people whose names aren’t springing immediately to mind who I’d consider good. Of whom I’ve watched more than one (1) of their YouTube. But generally speaking I run hot and cold on the YouTube people. Is it a bold new medium which allows amateur documentarians to present their work to a global audience with an ease and immediacy unimaginable in decades past? Or is it a tar pit, a crab bucket, frogs in a pail of milk, is it a narcissistic hellhole for medium talents who can’t hack it in God’s true medium — the written word? Both? Neither? Who can make these decisions? Who will be the judge of all the Earth? I know the answer to that question! Canonically, it is Doctor Jon Osterman! The world’s most perfect man whose omni-consciousness allows him to perceive his entire life as a single glittering moment in spacetime! Who left his wife for a teenage girl! (Talk about YouTube drama!)

Gaming wise, I watch 

AngryJoe (sometimes for the lolz but hes pretty obnoxious) 

RPG Division

CohhCarnage 

Apollo Speaks (for VTM lore and such) 

LegacyKilla (awful name) for gaming news and general industry gossip.

For TTRPG actual plays I watch

Roll4It specifically their VTM series with the PodByNight crew. 

RedMoonRoleplaying 

Other stuff.. 

Jays2Cents for computer building stuff.

MorePlatesMoreDates for nerdy breakdowns of performance enhancing drugs, physical and hormonal health, weightlifting stuff and the odd Trenbolone horror story.

But I'll admit most the stuff I watch on YouTube is trash. 

I watch lots of live music as well. Mostly metal bands, but a lot of other guitar based stuff really. KPXP is great for studio quality sound, mostly rock/psych/indie/punk on their channel.

Beau of the Fifth Brigade (also Roads With Beau) does very good informative breakdowns of current news. Mostly US but also some international

More on the infotainment side of current happenings  I have Internet Today and Philip DeFranco

On the general video essayist side I have:

Hbomberguy, very long videos but very well researched and the last couple have had impressive ripple effects. PhilosophyTube, like above very well written but more emphasis on set design and theatrics

OverlySarcasticProductions: history, mythology but what particularly draws me in is their Trope Talk

It is a running joke how many channels on how many different topics Simon Whistler has, if you will watch it and he can get sponsors to it he will do it. Still, they have their entertainment value (occasionally) so here are few and you can find the rest if his style isn't too annoying to you: BrainBlaze, Today I Found Out, Decoding The Unknown, Casual Criminalist

Atun Shei Films, does a lot localised history info tours centered around New Orleans but sometimes venturing up east coast to key areas in early American history. They also do amateur film stuff (with at least one funded and finished indie film, that I know. probably more). They also do  "Checkmate, Lincolnites", a mock debate of a confederate and union soldier with more Civil War trivia than I know what to do with.

Three Arrows and Shaun, very long podcast type essayists (I think they might actually be podcasts transferred to YT). General right vs left politics on current issues in the news.

ERB of course but they do stuff so rarely anymore that they don't count. Whitney Avalon did similar videos but now she too takes soooo long breaks between uploads.

I have a nascent interest on D&D and am trying to learn more about the mechanics so I watch Critical Role of course but also their British cousins at OxventurePointy Hat provides me fun infodumps on the character classes and DiceBreakers about tabletop games outside D&D.

There's more but this is the sum I'm willing to expose myself to critique for now.

I mostly watch PC Tech channels and those centered around retro video games.

PC Tech Channels

Linus Media Group

Paul's Hardware

Gamer's Nexus

Jayztwocents

Hardware Unboxed

Digital Foundry

Vidya Games

Sega Lord-X

Retro Bird (funny guy)

Game Sack

Metal Jesus Rocks

Angry Joe

Gaming Historian

There was on tech channel I was subbed to a little over 5 years. He was a guy from New Zealand, that did computer hardware comparisons. His show was Tech Showdown. His final months were just brutal. His girlfriend moved out and decided to take a break from YT. He went to Vietnam and was doing short videos about his trip. He seemed to be having a good time, but then he kind of disappeared for a few weeks. He ended up getting 2 different bacterial infections from the food he had eaten. The doctors couldn't fight both  and he eventually died from it. Still sad about that. He was a nice guy. 

6 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

As if I didn’t know it already, I feel so out of tune with other people from this thread.  It is almost as baffling to me as the old soccer ball thread. 

But hey, maybe it’s not you, it’s me. Or is it?

Same. 

Cinema Therapy 
Midwest Magic Cleaning
Legal Eagle
How to ADHD
Heather Kell of Kell of a Plan
Planning with Bumble
The Speech Prof
Mothers Against Greg Abbott
Hannah Bayles
Mended Light
Clutterbug

And some I'm not subscribed to but must watch a lot because they're always on my home page:

Ms. Mojo/WatchMojo
CNN
all the late night talk shows
Mama Dr. Jones
Charisma on Command
TED-Ed
Howard Ho
Brandon McNulty
ScreenRant
Mountain Rug Cleaning 

I had to stop with ScreenRant. It was just too much. Their pitch meetings series was funny, and I watched a couple Easter Egg videos-- but so much of their content is the sorts of conversations that used to happen on here 20 years ago and it drove me insane THEN.

Mostly Star Wars theories coming from people who have bad taste, hot takes, and have read every single thing with a Star Wars logo on it and act superior about it.

Oh I forgot, whenever there is a hurricane in Florida or some crazy category 5 disaster I usually get on the'Tube and find some storm chaser like accounts. (Sometimes periscope is better for that, maybe I'll try twitch). Other people's misery as entertainment and all that...well, it's more being witness to crazy weather phenomenons that I like. I don't like watching real war videos or streams. That's kind of fucked. Twisters and hurricanes are ok though.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:48 PM, Tank said:

I had to stop with ScreenRant. It was just too much. Their pitch meetings series was funny, and I watched a couple Easter Egg videos-- but so much of their content is the sorts of conversations that used to happen on here 20 years ago and it drove me insane THEN.

Mostly Star Wars theories coming from people who have bad taste, hot takes, and have read every single thing with a Star Wars logo on it and act superior about it.

I get that. I tune out when they start offering opinions. Mostly I watch their recaps or Easter Egg videos for the Disney+ series. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.