CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

A cross guard that is more dangerous to the user is not a helpful feature. The hilt limits the range of motion of the user.

I have to say that the teaser looks like a fan film. I don't mean that in a good way, either. I know Abrams is a fan but if I didn't know this footage was from an official production I wouldn't believe it.

That teaser almost wiped away the years of Star Wars cynicism built up by the prequels. I'm freakin' excited.

I like the lightsaber. I'm sure if it were actually impractical (or unwieldy) or looked stupid in combat, they wouldn't have used it. I really like how the "blade" is more like a blowtorch or something and not one, clean, solid laser. And maybe (just maybe) his style of fighting is less "twirly" and acrobatic, and more like a knight using a broadsword.

A cross guard that is more dangerous to the user is not a helpful feature. The hilt limits the range of motion of the user.

I was actually thinking about that earlier. The next time I watch a PT fight (whenever that may be) I want to see how many times the person wielding the lightsaber would have been taken out by their own cross guard.

Looks very JJ Abramish... I'm excited.

The very first thing that came to my mind was how much of a different style there was to the trailer from what we've previously seen from SW. IT got me all excited, too, but I'll have to let it sink in (and watch it about 50 more times) before I have much else to say!

The only way that thing is justified to me is if it is actually a very ancient sith lightsaber that is out of date with the more recent design

The idea that it protects against your opponent sliding their lightsaber down and cutting your hands is moot because there is still hilt down there. You slide it down and you'd just cut it in half.

Also, this shot wins the trailer:

http://i.imgur.com/ZRLJUg1.jpg

Yeah-- the dish difference was spotted in set photos awhile back, Lando knocked the old one off. Torch noticed it's the same dish as the Tantive has.

Other details:

-You can see the X-wing wings split down the middle like some of us suspected

-everything is similar but slightly newer in terms of costumes, which is great.

What I liked:

- it felt real. What I think Ramon was trying to say, was we didn't get CG overload in terms of the environments. No LOOK AT THIS GIANT PURPLE FLOWER THE SIZE OF A BUILDING. The completely cg environments of the PT were a major factor in making it feel sterile and fake. CG is expected, but when every little think is cg your brain can sense it

-the fact we didn't see the OT cast... a stylistic choice for the teaser, but we got Isaacs, Ridley and Boyega our new young heroes

-they fact that all three of them were "lower decks." That's a reference to one of my favorite TNG episodes, it followed junior officers who had no idea what the classified mission they were working on was, they jut had to take orders. In just a teaser I got Boyega was a stormtrooper that didn't know what was going on-- his first shot of being panicked, the troopers lined up in the carrier, the door opening into the unknown-- it's pretty amazing they could sell that in 3 shots. that's expert filmmaking. Lucas had entire movies to make character points and couldn't do it. This gives me a TON of hope these characters will be fully realized. It also harkens back to Luke in ANH to an extent-- a lead who really has no idea of the bigger galactic picture

-only one lens flare, and it was when we were actually looking at a sun

Things I'm not sure about:

- I agree it felt kinda fan filmy in parts. The frame felt empty in a lot of shots-- maybe this is just due to the PT getting me used to every shot having a million details crammed in? Maybe we just didn't see enough here?

-The cinematography was very NOT Star Wars. The OT had a very precise visual narrative that was part of the Star Wars vibe. While the grand CG establishing shots added to the SE and ever-present in the PT pushed those rules, they still kinda worked. Lucas broke his own rules in AOTC by doing faux handheld shots and rack focuses and zooms during the battle of Geonosis that were way out of place. The camera work just in this trailer is very modern, and not the classic locked-off style of Star Wars. Part of me feels like that is a big no no... getting the "feel" of Star Wars is really important. JJ captured the camera style of vintage Speilberg in Super 8, I was expecting the same emulation here... but another part of me thinks that it's okay to re-establish some of the rules is needed to make Star Wars exciting again and break from the sterile boring-ness of the PT. Somethings do need to stand out as different and this is one of the easiest ways to do it. I'll have to see more obviously to decide how I feel about it.

Things I didn't like:

-- It wouldn't be Star Wars if there wasn't something cutesy to dislike... I don't like soccer ball droid. I think it's dumb. I appreciate them wanting to try and give us the new R2D2... but it was just too silly. Sorry, but Chopper on Rebels stole that thunder.

--No clues about Adam Driver... I don't think he's the Sith in the end. Driver is a big guy, and we've seen spy photos of him as an X-Wing pilot

--Broadsaber. The arguments about if a hilt would be useful is moot-- if an enemy saber went down that wouldn't block them-- it would just slice through the side emitter. If the hilt was somehow all blade/energy it would work-- but when you have three emitters, what's to stop an enemy blade just cutting between them? I DO like TR's idea that it is an old design from some ancient Sith action.

Lastly, the most damning thing of all-- things glimpsed here confirm a lot of the leaked concept art as legit-- while concept art is just that-- conceptual, by association this teaser has confirmed a lot of things seen. They didn't show us Mr. Broadsaber's face-- but we've seen concept of him so we know what he looks like...

I thought that soccer ball droid was pretty cool. Now, if it's got a major role in the movie (IE: New R2) I'll be mad and it will wear out its welcome in about 2 minutes. I think it's more of a background droid though. Maybe they follow it across the Tatooine streets as part of an establishing shot. I'm likening it to the mouse droid in ANH.

Yeah. It looks like that concept art/plot leak awhile back might hold a lot of truth. Then again we know what Obi-Wan says about truths. If the leaks were meh to you, as they were to me, then we can recall Obi while combining that with the fact JJ is self-aware and also likes to play with audience perceptions (in regards to info/teases about unreleased films)... what we see may or may not be what we see.

Is the lightsaber in this trailer longer than what we've previously seen? It looks longer to me... which might be another hint to a much different fighting style. Also, what if the extra blades are like a tactical thing, where if he's locked sabers with someone he can thrust his hands forward and stab them in the neck or chest or something gruesome like that?

I spent a good five minutes trying to make heads or tails of the Aurebesh on Oscar Isaac's flightjacket until I remembered JJAbrams went through the trouble of changing Khan's name to Harrison in the HUD during the sneak preview of the scene where Kirk and Benedict Cumberbatch dive in their spacesuits towards the bad guy ship (USS Vengeance, hah, hope someone's coming up with better names for the spaceships in this one) and so it's probably been changed.

I was thinking it could be more offensive than defensive - when Lightsabers clash with the holders close together, a twist of the wrist and the hilt can do a little damage to the opponents hands/forearms maybe. Not a big fan of the Broadsaber at the mo, but I agree with the comment made that if it wasn't working, JJ would have gone more traditional.

Good trailer I thought - great to see the Falcon swooping through the sky again! Best bit was the X-Wings above the water! Good stuff!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Agreed it does look Abramsish. Which is why I'm nervous about this film.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in the world who thinks Abrams is way over rated.

I have to say that the teaser looks like a fan film. I don't mean that in a good way, either. I know Abrams is a fan but if I didn't know this footage was from an official production I wouldn't believe it.

I hear you on that. I thought the fake trailer was as legit looking as the official one. I think I might actually like the FAKE one, better.

The opening where the demasked stormtrooper appears on screen then turns around (presumably takes off running?). Something just looked silly about that scene, and I can't put my finger on it.

Soccer droid= DUMB.

Block speeder= impractical AND dumb looking.

Saving Stormtrooper Ryan scene looked like a generic action movie scene, with a dash of Star Wars flavoring. It did nothing for me.

I didn't mind the hilt-saber, really. Kind of gimmicky, but doesn't bother me much, either.

The xwing and MF scenes did seem pretty cool.

I spent a good five minutes trying to make heads or tails of the Aurebesh on Oscar Isaac's flightjacket until I remembered JJAbrams went through the trouble of changing Khan's name to Harrison in the HUD during the sneak preview of the scene where Kirk and Benedict Cumberbatch dive in their spacesuits towards the bad guy ship (USS Vengeance, hah, hope someone's coming up with better names for the spaceships in this one) and so it's probably been changed.

People nerdier than thou (THAT"S POSSIBLE OMG ;) ) have determined it is upside down and reads "Pull to inflate" as in it is the pilot's emergency flotation device

I may be in the minority, but I was EXCITED to see different cinematography. I love the old, but I'm more interested in seeing these new films go in a different direction. The way the Falcon scene was shot really reminded me of some of the camera work in Firefly.

Also the lightsaber looks cool but is functionally retarded.

I like the soccer ball droid.

The cinematography was very NOT Star Wars. The OT had a very precise visual narrative that was part of the Star Wars vibe. While the grand CG establishing shots added to the SE and ever-present in the PT pushed those rules, they still kinda worked. Lucas broke his own rules in AOTC by doing faux handheld shots and rack focuses and zooms during the battle of Geonosis that were way out of place. The camera work just in this trailer is very modern, and not the classic locked-off style of Star Wars. Part of me feels like that is a big no no... getting the "feel" of Star Wars is really important. JJ captured the camera style of vintage Speilberg in Super 8, I was expecting the same emulation here... but another part of me thinks that it's okay to re-establish some of the rules is needed to make Star Wars exciting again and break from the sterile boring-ness of the PT. Somethings do need to stand out as different and this is one of the easiest ways to do it. I'll have to see more obviously to decide how I feel about it.

Both Ridley's and Boyega's scenes felt like lacking some kind of lingering pan. (Boyega didn't have any; Ridley's was too brief.)

Not certain how you got that impression. I think the environments look on par.

Every time I make a poignant observation on this thread it's like the stupidest thing everyone's ever heard. Listen, every Star Wars movie the planets are only one environment. All snow, all forest, etc. Look at this trailer. The movie shot on location. You got a forest where the villain shows up. Obviously it looks like it just started snowing there. A Star Wars environment's never been so dynamic. It's really matured.

For a "thousand generations" we survived presumably without a crossbar on the lightsaber, why start now?

Recent history of hands getting cut off?

Boyega's intro looked like 'Lost'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.