CONFIRMED Star Wars Episode 7 news

Driver

Hahaha, I'm sure some of them do, but most of them are pretty cool. 501st and Rebel Legion (not sure about the Mando Mercs or other cosplay groups) have requirements for admittance, because they want everything to be screen accurate. Your costume has to meet certain criteria and it has to have at least three reference images (this is mostly for EU costumes). You submit pictures of your costume and they either say "yes" or "you need to fix this". (Full disclosure: I'm a member of the Rebel Legion although I've never actually trooped with them.)

Guest El Chalupacabra

That wasn't why Luke was in black. Luke's look was what was developed to be Jedi garb. That changed with the PT when George either forgot or changed his mind and had the Jedi all wear the clothing of Tatooine peasants.

That wasn't why Luke was in black. Luke's look was what was developed to be Jedi garb. That changed with the PT when George either forgot or changed his mind and had the Jedi all wear the clothing of Tatooine peasants.

This is true. There is a flashback scene in one of the old Marvel comics to Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, and he is wearing tight-fitting, all-black outfit similar to Luke's.

Also, I heard somewhere that Luke's Jedi uniform was inspired by the outfit of a priest.

What Torch says is true-- I had hoped that as the Clone Wars started the Jedi would shift from the brown and white robes to the black jumpsuit.

Ultimately I'm okay with it though because it fits my narrow head canon that Luke basically does everything his own way. The old Jedi order failed-- Luke's way, which is more grey then light and dark is unique.

Well, I seem to remember an interview where GL addressed the question of why Luke was in black, which was supposed to mean Luke was unconventional, and make the viewer wonder if Luke was in danger of going to the darkside, but my memory fails me as to when/where I saw it. That isn't to say what you guys are saying isn't valid, because that too could have been stated by GL. Hard to pin stuff like that down, due to him constantly changing his mind.

But I do remember darkhorse comics where jedi from the old republic, where the jedi had no set uniform, and some looked similar to Luke's ROTJ uniform, with various colors. Also the old mcquarrie concept art had various jedi outfits too, as I recall.

But I will stick to my theory, just the same.

That's right. I think GL said it in those interviews accompanied with the 1997 Special Edition. Otherwise, it is still obvious.

I looked it up again. Yes, a it's brown version of what Luke wore underneath Yoda's beige robe. I'll give Torch that, but what bugs me is he said it like it was set in stone that that was 'Jedi garb.' Where did you hear this? Forget the EU, though!

Also, what Driver said: the original Anakin ghost before Christensen wore the same brown and beige robes! That was obviously the Jedi look. I don't mean to sound like THIS is written in stone, but I think the Jedi robes look like the peasant clothes because they're supposed to be humble.

Ramon, curiousity demands I ask; How old are you? You post with such a conviction of your own knowledge that I'd have to guess you're a teen or college aged young adult. We've all been there, however rarely are we as informed as we believe.

The sources for what I posted are various interviews, articles, merchandise, concept notes and behind the scenes specials which as a geek I have dutifully consumed over the last thirty years. I profusely apologize for not being able to Wikipedia sourcelink your insatiable skepticism to satisifaction.

It should be noted at no point did I dispute what is, only pointed out what was intended.

To calm an additional point of contention however, I shall assure you I have never in my life argued something from the EU to prove a point in the films. Not that I expect this to mean anything to you, obviously. :-) I've been there too.

The point was to churn out books and make money.

Well, it worked, and it kept Star Wars alive for decades, allowing George Lucas--and now Disney--to produce more films as interest is still alive. You're welcome.

I actually do appreciate it. No snark. And I tried to support the books. I bought the first dozen or so. Eventually I just couldn't take the punishment anymore but I do appreciate where it got us.

Well, it worked, and it kept Star Wars alive for decades, allowing George Lucas--and now Disney--to produce more films as interest is still alive. You're welcome.

Without doubt... now just imagine where Star Wars would be if the Eu had been GOOD!!!

;)

Ramon, curiousity demands I ask; How old are you? You post with such a conviction of your own knowledge that I'd have to guess you're a teen or college aged young adult. We've all been there, however rarely are we as informed as we believe.

The sources for what I posted are various interviews, articles, merchandise, concept notes and behind the scenes specials which as a geek I have dutifully consumed over the last thirty years. I profusely apologize for not being able to Wikipedia sourcelink your insatiable skepticism to satisifaction.

It should be noted at no point did I dispute what is, only pointed out what was intended.

To calm an additional point of contention however, I shall assure you I have never in my life argued something from the EU to prove a point in the films. Not that I expect this to mean anything to you, obviously. :-) I've been there too.

I'm 900 years old, I live on Dagobah. And you're just fumbling with your argument that the EU counts as canon, which it doesn't.

Without doubt... now just imagine where Star Wars would be if the Eu had been GOOD!!!

;)

Comments like this I find to be, quite frankly, moronic. Considering how much these boards hailed The Clone Wars, as well as the Tartakovsky series before it, while harping on the EU (nevermind the fact that both of these series were part of the EU at the time, and that the latter still is) tells me that the majority of you got a bad taste in your mouth based on a few books here and there. (Which is another point: when you hear "EU," so many of you just think of the novels. It is more than just that. It includes comic books, video games, and even television series, the majority of which were well received. Not to mention that you probably missed out on all the good novels in the glory years.)

It isn't hard to imagine where Star Wars would be if the EU was good, because that is exactly where we are now. Yes, this includes Disney's current trashing of the EU, on whose back all of this work was built.

I can appreciate the more intelligent comments, like those who have voiced their dislike for the EU but acknowledged its importance without trying to stereotype the whole thing based on what little they have been exposed to, but your comment is simply infantile.

I'm 900 years old, I live on Dagobah. And you're just fumbling with your argument that the EU counts as canon, which it doesn't.

I hope you're only referring to the current state of the EU as "Legends" under Disney. If you're suggesting that the EU never held any canonicity, I've got news for you, buddy.

As for the discussion at hand, I'm hoping this Kira character is not a Solo or a Skywalker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.