Tropes you hate

Hobbes

On 1/5/2024 at 5:59 PM, Hobbes said:

One warrior killing dozens of enemies in a sword fight, especially when it is a movie set in antiquity.

Missiles doing nothing against Hulk or Iron Man or whatever. 

Technology that is completely out of the realm of human capability and is against fundamental laws on the universe.  I understand Iron Man has this super power source, but where is all the heat going?  And in Infinity Wars the suit is self-assembling nano robots??

Unlimited ammo 

Not to nit pick cause I largely agree but I'm going to pick some nits...

I can get past the chainmail wearing Ubermensch  warrior taking out scores of enemies single-handed, cause from what I've heard a well trained and seasoned mideaval warrior could be worth at least half a dozen regular men at arms, and a half dozen more untrained levies. But what I can't get past is how few men at arms wear actual fucking chainmail or armour in supposedly historical TV series. They're all in some crazy waffle knit leather patchwork stuff that looks ridiculous! 

12 hours ago, Zathras said:

Here's a few more I thought of:

1.  The girl, much of the time blind, who doesn't know she is hot.

LOL the She's All That trope. Well, not the blindness but the hotness. Like all it takes is removing your glasses and getting a new hairstyle and suddenly you're hot. If that movie was realistic, the bet would have been to make someone like Martha from Heathers prom queen.

On 12/22/2023 at 2:58 PM, Tank said:

...I will turn off any show or movie if somebody finds the keys to a car that isn't theirs in the visor, OR, if there's a order scene and the detective shows up and says to the beat cop on the scene "What've we got?"

Right?

On 12/22/2023 at 4:23 PM, Zathras said:

1. Time travel (done to DEATH!)

2. Alternate reality/parallel universe (usually our heroes trapped there)

Disagree! I still can't get enough of time travel and will be okay with the parallel universe thing until Rose comes back for the Doctor

On 12/29/2023 at 8:31 AM, Quetzalcoatl said:

When the entire story is magically erased at the end.  We’re made to believe the stakes are high, but ultimately nothing you saw mattered because it all got undone.  They show us something and really play it up, and then yell psych.  A good example is the Prince of Persia movie that came out around a decade ago.  The characters were after some magical artifact that could turn back time.  At the end it was used to reset everything.  So nothing you saw for the past two hours mattered because it all got erased.  Sitcoms used to do this a lot too when you find out a character was dreaming the whole time.  Always bugged the hell out of me.

This is honestly why I hate multi-verse stories. There's no tension because anything can be changed or fixed. It's honestly why I quit reading comics, because both DC and Marvel rely on it so much. Tony Stark is dead? Don't worry, we'll just bring his alter in from another dimension!

Oddly it bothers me less with time travel starts, because in that case you have to generally work for a change, which gives you story... but a multiverse is always a push-button change. It's also a lazy set-up I think. I think Sliders is one of the stupidest shows ever made.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:39 AM, RUAJedi2 said:

Outrunning explosions. Or,my personal favorite, in The Mummy Returns, characters outrace the rising sun.

Nothing will ever top The Day After Tomorrow when the heroes are out-racing the cold.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:59 AM, Hobbes said:

Technology that is completely out of the realm of human capability and is against fundamental laws on the universe.  I understand Iron Man has this super power source, but where is all the heat going?  And in Infinity Wars the suit is self-assembling nano robots??

To sell Wakanda, they had to present them as having tech that was borderline magic, which Thor had also set up to some extent. After seeing what Black Panther had thanks to Shuri, and what Ragnarok and Guardians showed us was being used by alien races, they had to upgrade Tony. He's the central hero of the MCU, he can't have the clunkiest tech.

Though I always love Rocket's line to Tony in Endgame-- "You're only a genius on Earth, pal."

There's also a practical/filmmaking aspect to it. Most everyone but Cap had an on/off helmet. FX has gotten good enough enough that most everyone's suit is CG enhanced and no one actually acts with a helmet on anymore. They are the most difficult to work with so now most everyone just shoots without them and adds them in post. It also allows them to deliver the lines with their faces. In the final fight in Endgame, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Spider-Man, Quill, and Black Panther all have masks that pop on/off when they deliver bigger lines.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:58 PM, Zathras said:

Here's a few more I thought of:

1.  The girl, much of the time blind, who doesn't know she is hot.

2.  Getting shot in one scene, usually the arm or shoulder, and the next scene our hero is kicking ass like nothing happened.

3. Someone has a dream that foreshadows the rest of the movie.

4. Girls who suffer some trauma and then cut all their hair off to signify...Change?

5.  Someone yelling "I've got your six,"  "I've got a bad feeling about this,"  "There's no time to explain"  or "We have company!"

6.  Computer hacking, usually  a snarky teen who is quippy.

7. Geniuses who seem to know everything about everything. 

To be fair, there's a pushback against a lot of these from writers, but studios see them as a familiar short hand audiences will get which saves time and money. I hate it.

Dreams I will stand up for, especially in horror movies. Nightmares let you get in scary stuff early in a story without escalating the real world before you're ready to.

15 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

Disagree! I still can't get enough of time travel and will be okay with the parallel universe thing until Rose comes back for the Doctor

Have you seen Billy Piper lately? If she comes back she'll have to play a Plasticine alien she's had so much work done.

This is honestly why I hate multi-verse stories. There's no tension because anything can be changed or fixed. It's honestly why I quit reading comics, because both DC and Marvel rely on it so much. Tony Stark is dead? Don't worry, we'll just bring his alter in from another dimension!

This is what's turned me off of superhero movies lately.  Wolverine can die in one film, show up again in Deadpool 3, and the writers no longer have the burden of acknowledging his prior death.  It isn't relevant.  It never happened.  It feels like we're reaching the point where every film can just do it's own thing without constraints set by any other film, which ironically defeats the whole purpose of a shared cinematic universe.  

On 12/26/2023 at 5:10 PM, R.CAllen said:

There’s lots of things in art I dislike. I’m just not sure they necessarily count as tropes. Shoddy craftsmanship, failed attempts at profundity, the apparently unthinking regurgitation of idées reçues, unfunny humour, unsexy titillation, unthrilling action, the elevation of structure above style and substance, when I have a longstanding grudge against whomever made the art because reasons, I could go on.

But, I have a confession to make. I don’t know what a trope is. What’s a trope? What isn’t a trope? When it comes to art — when it comes to a lot of things! — I like it when things are good and don’t like it when things are bad. If the thing is good I don’t care what the thing is. I don’t care if I’ve seen it before. I don’t care if I’ll see it again. I’m not going to complain that I’m getting too much of a good thing.

It can be the hoariest cliché but if it’s well executed I’m going to clap, I’m going to hoot, I’m going to holler. Oh, an anvil fell on your head and three bumps have grown atop your scalp and you go cross-eyed and stumble about in a daze as little baby blue birds fly in elegant pirouettes around you as they chirp and tweet? Hell yeah! Oh, you’ve disabled the bomb when it was just moments away from exploding? Hell yeah! Oh, you’ve just this very day turned eighteen and you’ve ordered pizza from the pizza parlour but have no cash on hand to tip the delivery driver? Hell yeah!

I come to this stuff with an open heart. My eyes aren’t closed. My ears are clear. Show me what you can do with what there is! They say that it’s a poor carpenter what blames his tools but as far as I’m concerned I’m a customer and what kind of, uh, tool would exchange the pleasure of sitting at a well wrought table for the meagre joys of pointing at various tools in a toolbox and excitedly declaiming “That’s a bad tool. I have seen this tool before.” Not me! There are only so many tools!

Look. I don’t want to go all the way with this and decry the malign influence of Television Tropes Dot Organization on the world or whatever. It’s a nice wiki. I’ve had fun looking at its pages. Sure! I just don’t think there’s much of anything fun for me — the world’s most important person, as we all well know, the man whose opinions REALLY MATTER! — in cataloguing all the ways art can be familiar.

Please don’t mistake this stance as some kind of dumb dumb ‘never yuck a yum’ ‘let people enjoy things’ ‘Josh Radnor from How I Met Your Mother (‘05-’14) took some of his sitcom money and paid an Olsen Triplet to mouth his dumb words’ sort of deal. I am all about yucking other people’s yums! If I could stop other people from enjoying things — I can’t! — you know I would. I dislike Josh Radnor!!!1!! What’s my point? My point is I’m describing the way I feel about things. If other people feel differently, sure, go ahead and talk about the tropes you can’t stand. Do you need my permission? If so, you have it. If not, fly free!

This post is a Nightly trope. 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:44 PM, Tank said:

Have you seen Billy Piper lately? If she comes back she'll have to play a Plasticine alien she's had so much work done.

No!!! What a shame. Just looked into this-like so many others, she has ruined herself.

I see this a lot in movies that try to only show someone is smart:

I have multiple PhDs in physics, computer science, linguistics....blah blah blah

No you don't for many reasons.  I mean you could, but it's pretty much pointless unless there are very specific reasons (Psyc and MD to be a psychiatrist, JD and MD to practice medical law, etc) and none of those reasons are applicable to anyone that says this trope.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably already listed but the supermodel hot looking nerdgirl/scientist/forensics clerk who has no idea she looks like a supermodel and is socially.... I wanna say the R word but I can't use it.. so *awkward* will have to do

2 hours ago, Odine said:

Probably already listed but the supermodel hot looking nerdgirl/scientist/forensics clerk who has no idea she looks like a supermodel and is socially.... I wanna say the R word but I can't use it.. so *awkward* will have to do

The two genuinely cute nerdy girls are Jordan from Real Genius and Ellie from My Science Project!

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 9:38 AM, Darth Krawlie said:

I never understood how poor eyesight = smart ever started anyway

Smart people have an overly large prefrontal cortex, which puts extra pressure on the optic machinery behind the eyeballs, increasing the likelihood of weaker vision, and therefore the likelihood of needing glasses.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:58 AM, Tank said:

and we've done a thread on this, but I will turn off any show or movie if somebody finds the keys to a car that isn't theirs in the visor, OR, if there's a order scene and the detective shows up and says to the beat cop on the scene "What've we got?"

You turned off Terminator 2 and Heat??? :p

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.