I think I might be done guys

Tank

Not like, suicide done, but like… done trying? I’m tired. I’m almost 50. I have no savings or assets, some years I make six figures, some years I make nothing. My kid had moved out. My health is meh.

I just want to eat snacks and watch movies and not work.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

Not like, suicide done, but like… done trying? I’m tired. I’m almost 50. I have no savings or assets, some years I make six figures, some years I make nothing. My kid had moved out. My health is meh.

I totally hear that, but you gotta try.  It's never too late, 50 is still young, and you are too talented and smart to just give up.  Maybe you just need a solid side gig to get by  during the lean times?  I'm 51 and some days I feel like shit and I want to just retire and watch movies all day too!  I fucking hate my job so I'm working on a management degree so I can get the FUCK out of IT in a couple of years.   

On 9/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, Tank said:

Sounds likes you got a mean case of the burnouts. You should go on vacation and consume art instead of constantly creating it.

So yeah eat snacks and watch movies. Just make the snacks healthy tasty ones too. Connect with nature and shit. Walk barefoot in a forest. Hug some redwoods. Get out of LA for a bit. Youll find your mojo again. Grind culture is toxic. 

Also I'm pretty sure mercury is in the Gatorade or something 

Hey congrats on the best seller!

Are things still going OK with the lady friend? Is the strike getting to you? I mean, I can understand how your lifestyle is a little stressful when you have to create to earn your living. Maybe Odine is right and a little vacation is what you need. Doesn't have to be extravagant, can just be a quiet getaway.

I get the consistent income. Is there a part-time gig with a steady paycheck that you could pick up? I think if you became a full time working stiff you'd feel kind of stifled and wouldn't have the time or energy to create.

And heard on the body thing. I'm north of 40 now and it's just harder. The COVID 19 (lbs) was not kind and I've not recovered from it. I think a lot of people are in this boat but the reality is it's just harder as you age. I've never felt my age, I don't wake up feeling like shit every morning other than never getting enough sleep (I've always had high sleep needs, even in college). But it's definitely creeping up because I'm just tired every night.

Even before Destiny brought it up, my mind was jumping towards horror comics.  I can’t remember if you brought those up, Seth, in one of your other threads where you talked about AI, though. Of course, I know comics aren’t an easy field to get into either,  but it seems like an environment you could get some creativity going in, too. Is it something you’ve thought about?

I don’t know. Stop trying? Doesn’t feel like the time, really. Looking at it from the outside and from a great distance I kind of think your career has never been on more of an upswing. I can’t turn around these days without seeing you retweeted on someone else’s Twitter — forgive me, I don’t have a Twitter account, I don’t know how it works, I don’t follow you, I don’t follow anyone, does the Twitter computer know I ‘know’ you? — like, I knew about your book coming out before seeing it in this thread because someone else retweeted your tweet about it. Someone else is always out there retweeting your tweets! Stop trying now? When you are so Twitter famous that even I see your Tweets? Seems like a bad idea to me.

My advice is to wait for the strike to be over. Wait for the inevitable victory over the dumbest rich people ever AND THEN maybe consider stopping trying. At least go out on top! If you need to make money in the interim, well, I don’t know. Welding? If you want to, sure, but at this point you talking about going back to school to weld sounds like when Greg Behrendt was on his old podcast talking about going back to school so he could become a barber. I don’t know. How long does it take to do that? I guess it all depends on what’s practical.

I don’t see how it’s, like, ‘stopping trying’ to pay the bills any way you can in whatever way you can. There’s that bit in Martin Short’s biography where he talks about dealing with the fact that his career wasn’t always going great and sometimes wasn’t going at all with just doing whatever he was allowed to do whenever he was allowed to do it and not saying no to stuff and just being happy to get the chance to work — if ‘they’ would let him do movies then he’d do movies, if ‘they’ would let him do TV then he’d do TV, if ‘they’ would let him be on stage he’d be on stage, if ‘they’ would let him do voice work for a direct-to-DVD animated sequel he’d do that, whatever came his way. I don’t know what is and isn’t practical but considering you must have a resumé substantially different from lots of people out there it shouldn’t be that difficult to stretch the truth and ... there was that Twitter thread giving advice on this subject.

I don’t know. This is kind of what Kirk was going through in WoK and everything worked out great for him!!!!1!

21 hours ago, Tank said:

Believe it or not, mainstream comics is harder to break into than TV. I’ve done a few issues here and there, but it’s a very low paying, low reward, industry unless you’re writing a famous superhero.

I fully believe mainstream comics is a real bitch to break out in, especially since the medium is not attracting a huge audience anymore outside of manga.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of something from outside of one of the big two publishers, like Dynamite or maybe even Dark Horse, or perhaps even something even more independent or even crowd-sourced. I know the big money isn’t there in any of those cases, but since it sounded like there is a rut with things the way they are now and I didn’t know whether any of your movie work might be able to help get you an in somewhere if you wanted something different.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.