why do people post things like this

This is in a facebook group, the main post is a guy asking for collectible shops along a road trip he's taking.

image.png.0e68ae258d69de14426ad5ce1917a3d6.png

Dathan clearly has nothing to contribute here, so why did he make this comment? You see this kind of shit all over the place online. What compels people to say absolutely nothing at all, when they could LITERALLY say nothing and be just as helpful?

Apparently not to Hawaii. But I just got back from a week there and shared a lot of pictures, so I felt pretty targeted. 

Like, I get that there is some contempt for tourists from native Hawaiians and that it is very expensive to live there (high real estate prices, most modern conveniences need to be brought in, etc). But I think there's a big difference on the scale of Awfulness between me taking a vacation to pretty much any tropical island and going big game hunting for endangered species. Honestly, I don't need some chick I met at the gym trying to guilt me so she can virtue signal. Bye Felicia.

Haha 

I mean, what are you going to do, NOT go on holiday to a tropical Island? 

Interestingly, Hawaii isn't actually a US state legally. I think Dole corporation just moved in there and kind of annexed the place without ever putting in legal legislation to make it part of the US. Technicaly it still isn't. This is according to some documentary I watched about native Hawaiians organising and protesting the current state of the place on netflix, so...obviously I haven't fact checked myself there. But pretty crazy if true and I can understand the beef. 

But shit, there is nothing white people like doing more than telling other white people off for doing something they deem to be culturally insensitive.

The wikipedia article is an interesting read, at least. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Hawaii

I mean I think most modern Americans acknowledge that what happened in Hawaii in the 1890s was crappy. And well, just about everything that has happened since. Let's face it, the US government isn't exactly all that good at infrastructure and large scale governance. (Not sure anyone is, but we've definitely screwed up on more than 1 occasion.) But my understanding is that the Hawaiian Sovereignty movement is largely a very vocal minority. If they actually wanted to run a referendum for independence, I'd support it. But I doubt it would get enough support. I think in modern times, governance is actually very difficult and I think Hawaii would actually struggle without US government support.

LOL speaking of governance. I joined a Facebook page for weird things you find on google earth. Some of the posts are funny and some are scary and some bring out the tin foil hat brigade. This one guy found Christmas Tree Key in Key West and learning that it's full of "homeless people" living in tents and derelict boats they found after major storms. Turns out it has power and water on it that was paid for by some county but the plans for the key fell through when county laws said it could only contain two homes total for building code. So basically it's full of people who are priced out of any house in the Keys but work jobs servicing tourist and rich people. A couple of artist squatted there. There's also a squabble over who owns it as it maybe a Federal land thing controlled by the BLM or it could belong to Monroe county. A problem for modern times...

https://www.clarkstoeckley.com/art/christmas-tree-island

• 2 months later...

Another annoyance is when people feel compelled to make a comment that was made by 257 previous commenters, as if the original poster didn't get it the first time. This happens in very often in YouTube videos. And then there are those who don't even watch the video but are already asking questions that are answered IN the video. I wish I could reach through the screen and smack people.

On 10/26/2023 at 1:19 AM, Chalcedony said:

Another annoyance is when people feel compelled to make a comment that was made by 257 previous commenters, as if the original poster didn't get it the first time. This happens in very often in YouTube videos. And then there are those who don't even watch the video but are already asking questions that are answered IN the video. I wish I could reach through the screen and smack people.

Or when you watch a youtube video and it takes like 5 minutes to get to the point.  The other day I was trying to make a graph in Google sheets and the data wasn't aggregating properly.  So I found a Youtibe video on how to do it but she spends like 5 minutes describing the problem and why it is important the graph is made properly.  I am like, "listen kind sir, this is the reason I am here".  The solution was literally less than 30 seconds in a 10 minute video.

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Or when you watch a youtube video and it takes like 5 minutes to get to the point.  The other day I was trying to make a graph in Google sheets and the data wasn't aggregating properly.  So I found a Youtibe video on how to do it but she spends like 5 minutes describing the problem and why it is important the graph is made properly.  I am like, "listen kind sir, this is the reason I am here".  The solution was literally less than 30 seconds in a 10 minute video.

I use Chat GPT now for spreadsheet help. Then I just copy and paste. And if you don't get the result you wanted, you can ask it to modify it or just tell it the issue and it'll self-correct. 

7 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Have you ever searched for a recipe online? Dear God. Its the same.

Holy crap, I HATE this! I just want to see the recipe, but instead I get 17 paragraphs describing every single thing about the recipe that the author felt was vital to know, such as how much her kids loved it, and how it was a great hit at the church picnic, and the history of the vanilla bean. Some of them are kind enough to include a "jump to recipe" button, but not all of them do. I usually end up just looking for another website.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, Cerina said:

I use Chat GPT now for spreadsheet help. Then I just copy and paste. And if you don't get the result you wanted, you can ask it to modify it or just tell it the issue and it'll self-correct. 

Do you use the free version or the subscription?  If so, do you notice any significant differences between the two?

So this wasn't someone posting, but we stopped at a store for coffee and my husband went inside. Another car parked next to us and a couple got out. I started to notice that the car seemed to be rocking and heard thumping. I thought maybe there was a dog inside. My husband got back and said there was a kid making a ton of noise in the car, so we rolled the window down and distinctly heard HELP. My husband told me to call the cops, so I called 911 and reported a child in distress. I couldn't tell how old the kid was because the windows were heavily tinted. I got out to read the license plate number and the kid starts tapping the window at me. Another person thanked me for calling 911, he was also very concerned. Then 2 teenage boys get out of the car and try to act like they weren't doing anything. So I told the operator it was just some asshole teenagers. Then the kids went to the front of the store to wait for their parents, and they all come back smirking, including the father. They left before the police arrived, and I let the operator know they were leaving. They told me I could hang up but took down my name and number.

Why are people idiots?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.