dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

Next dumb question.

“Look sir, droids!”

When the troopers were investigating the escape pod, did they really not know that droids had been in the pod until one of them found that spare part in the sand? I’m pretty sure the tracks included R2’s three legged wheels. Right away that should’ve told them, well someone was in the pod and they had an R2 unit with them. 

I'll add to this-- did they have Dewbacks on hand or did they stop off at a Mos to get some?

Also, explain to my why people ride animals in Star Wars at all. In Any given Star Wars show it's always the worst effect you're going to get and it's somehow part of the mythos. In a universe where anti-gravity exists, and being a pilot is basically like having a driver's license, why would you ride an animal? The only explanation ever given was on Hoth when they said the speeders hasn't yet been adapted to the cold (even though they clearly could fly other craft, otherwise how did they land their entire organization there?

I'm gonna go with a stab in the dark that some indigenous aliens retain their animal husbandry for traditional/cultural/ and practical reasons. Like Sand People and Banthas etc. But stormtroopers riding dewbacks makes no goddamn sense. 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:02 PM, Tank said:

I'll add to this-- did they have Dewbacks on hand or did they stop off at a Mos to get some?

Also, explain to my why people ride animals in Star Wars at all. In Any given Star Wars show it's always the worst effect you're going to get and it's somehow part of the mythos. In a universe where anti-gravity exists, and being a pilot is basically like having a driver's license, why would you ride an animal? The only explanation ever given was on Hoth when they said the speeders hasn't yet been adapted to the cold (even though they clearly could fly other craft, otherwise how did they land their entire organization there?

Lucky you, that you never had to endure having your 1st ridable in Star Wars: Galaxies, being a Dewback. I think it was well over 6 months before I ever got a land bike and later a land speeder.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:27 PM, Odine said:

I'm gonna go with a stab in the dark that some indigenous aliens retain their animal husbandry for traditional/cultural/ and practical reasons. Like Sand People and Banthas etc. But stormtroopers riding dewbacks makes no goddamn sense. 

Having said that, and after putting WAY TOO MUCH THOUGHT INTO THIS, if you needed to explore a rocky environment like a canyon for example (which are prevalent on a desert world) a Dewback (or similar quadroped) is definitely a superior mode of transport to a landspeeder or speeder bike, which I assume requires a flat surface underneath.

The real question is why aren't storm troopers riding alien mountain goats instead of giant lizards?

10 hours ago, Odine said:

Having said that, and after putting WAY TOO MUCH THOUGHT INTO THIS, if you needed to explore a rocky environment like a canyon for example (which are prevalent on a desert world) a Dewback (or similar quadroped) is definitely a superior mode of transport to a landspeeder or speeder bike, which I assume requires a flat surface underneath.

The real question is why aren't storm troopers riding alien mountain goats instead of giant lizards?

I feel like it's far more efficient to toss a probe droid, which can hover, scan, fly, and attack into that canyon instead of a team of 12 men in heavy armor and gear who need to first charter some local lizards.

Especially when those men suck at their job. While Obi Wan and Luke are in the Mos Eisley cantina, there’s a scene of the troops investigating the buildings nearby. Threepio tells R2 they’re coming and to lock the door. The troops arrive at said door, knock and then one of them says, “door’s locked, move on to the next.” That’s it??? All you have to do to evade Imperial capture is to keep an eye out for them and as they get near, just go inside and lock the door. 

12 hours ago, Tank said:

I feel like it's far more efficient to toss a probe droid, which can hover, scan, fly, and attack into that canyon instead of a team of 12 men in heavy armor and gear who need to first charter some local lizards.

I've heard the wait times on requisitioning a probe droid from tech dept. to the outer rim is an absolute nightmare, what with logistics being understaffed and all due to too many executions and force chokings. Also Kevin from maintenance is snowed under lately with repairs to sandy droids with burned out motivators and fried circuits.  Advice from requisitions is to try your luck with Dewbacks'r'Us. Or, walk. 

On 7/9/2023 at 4:48 AM, Odine said:

If only Zerimar was here he'd be able to tell us the cannon terminology for the process of cleaning the poo-dreads from Bantha fur/hair

I wonder what logic leaps they go through to see their ‘beloved’ zahn characters and others being added to the super duper terrible disney SW stories.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, Tank said:

The only explanation ever given was on Hoth when they said the speeders hasn't yet been adapted to the cold (even though they clearly could fly other craft, otherwise how did they land their entire organization there?

Isn't it also, like...really cold in space, too? Or is that a different type of cold? I'm not up on my space facts!

5 hours ago, CoLA said:

Isn't it also, like...really cold in space, too? Or is that a different type of cold? I'm not up on my space facts!

deep / interstellar space is very cold, 3 kelvins (-270 C)

space near Earth varies between over 100 C and -100 C depending on the amount of shade from the sun

the speeders weren't capable of space flight (possibly high altitude flight too) and were probably designed to be used in the habitable regions of Earthlike planets, so would need modifications for use somewhere that is like Antarctica or worse wherever you go

9 hours ago, captainbleh said:

deep / interstellar space is very cold, 3 kelvins (-270 C)

space near Earth varies between over 100 C and -100 C depending on the amount of shade from the sun

the speeders weren't capable of space flight (possibly high altitude flight too) and were probably designed to be used in the habitable regions of Earthlike planets, so would need modifications for use somewhere that is like Antarctica or worse wherever you go

Yeah, look at the land speeders on Tattooine. They basically have a jet engine for propulsion. Those other ships might also use that sort of tech.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.