dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

TLJ is easily the best looking Star Wars movie out there. Also some of the biggest swings, coolest designs, most interesting additions to the universe, and has probably my favorite lightsaber duel... but at the end of the day it is criminally boring and while I don't think giving fans exactly what they want is something filmmaker should do (cause most fans have terrible taste) to actively try and subvert and ignore what they want isn't a game to play with a franchise this big. It literally broke fandom in half twice as hard as the division between PT lovers/haters.

I maintain AOTC is still the worst Star Wars ever, with TROS being a close second.

TLJ is a movie of two halves for me. I mostly like it until Rey leaves Luke, but I think most of what happens afterwards is a mess and I find myself thinking of alternatives to what was shown if I allow myself to think about it too much.

If I love a movie I can forgive any flaws (like people), but there's a dissatisfaction threshold where I start thinking about alternatives and nitpicking stuff (like some of the choreography in the duel between Reylo and Snoke's guards) and that's a sign to walk away.

The ST is like a series of dates for me that started out promisingly but just got worse. TFA is the one that went well and got my hopes up. TLJ didn't go as well, but I thought I'd give it one more chance. TROS was the third date where they turn up drunk and throw up on your shoes outside the venue, but you go through with it anyway.

The ST is mostly a memory for me now. I haven't watched any of it since I saw it in theaters (4 x TFA, 3 x TLJ, 1 x TROS). R1 is the only recent SW movie that has the power to disrupt my day if it appears on free-to-air, but I also seem to like it for different reasons to most people I know.

I still think Rey / Ridley and Kylo / Driver are great in all three movies, and Luke / Hamill in TLJ, but they can't save TROS from being a cowardly and cynical pile of trash

53 minutes ago, captainbleh said:

dissatisfaction threshold

Love this term and adopting it immediately. It's the prefect definition of why I can forgive so many B horror films for being terrible so long as they are fun, and yet, won't cut the PT much slack.

It also explains why I like the X-Men movies even though they are mostly terrible.

57 minutes ago, captainbleh said:

Of course you would

I'm not surprised

For me just has so many great sequences. The whole thing around the throne room, the Holdo manuever, the battle on Crait, Luke vs Kylo. Just all top tier Star Wars stuff. 

I watched the final trailer for TROS yesterday. I remember that trailer making me really excited about the movie. It was how that scored it. That feeling didn't last.

As for TLJ, save the Finn-Rose side quest, the movie I thought did a lot of good things. What it did bad was not acting like the second of three movies. I walked out of the theater thinking "they're never going to resolve this with one movie left". 

Next dumb question. How real are all those YouTube “reaction” videos? I saw one the other day where this guy was supposedly watching ESB for the very first time and when it came to the “I am your father” scene, he freaked out. He kept repeating things like, “it makes sense now, ‘Luke, I am your father.’” That line is so imprinted in pop culture psyche that he knew it even though he didn’t understand it until now. I thought it was even more hilarious because he knew the line the way it’s always misquoted by non-fans and now he heard the actual line but was still thinking the misquoted line was the real deal. 

Apparently it's called the Mandela Effect, whereby a mass number of the population all miss-remember a thing from the past in the same way. Named after the phenomenon where a large amount of people all believed that Nelson Mandela died in prison.

his hand was cauterized so he might not have lost that many

maybe his hand survived because of the midichlorians and could have been trained in the ways of the Force, like Thing from The Addams Family with a little lightsaber

TLJ was mostly ESB assembled in a different order.

TROS was like taking a burns victim to a fireworks show.

TFA is just Abrams' hard on for ANH. He did the same thing with Trek (2009) that he did to Episode VII.

The soft reboot of the OT approach the ST took was a mistake and has already aged badly. 

Disney Star Wars should be shoved into an alternate universe type deal. All they've done since 2015 is riff on Lucas' ideas from 40 years ago and they're unable to move on and establish something new.

14 hours ago, Mike_Droideka said:

TLJ was mostly ESB assembled in a different order.

TROS was like taking a burns victim to a fireworks show.

TFA is just Abrams' hard on for ANH. He did the same thing with Trek (2009) that he did to Episode VII.

The soft reboot of the OT approach the ST took was a mistake and has already aged badly. 

Disney Star Wars should be shoved into an alternate universe type deal. All they've done since 2015 is riff on Lucas' ideas from 40 years ago and they're unable to move on and establish something new.

This is why I liked Andor. Its the only Star Wars since ESB that doesn't expand half its energy reminding you that it is Star Wars.

I really liked Andor too, I think its the best Star Wars TV show by a fairly wide margin, but I do think in alot of cases the distance for many fans between "this is just a rehash of Star Wars" vs "This just doesn't feel like Star Wars" is very very small. 

With the other Disney stuff obviously TFA is a partial remake of ANH. No sane person could deny. Its just so well done that it still works very well. I love that movie. As for TLJ, Im sure most people here know my feelings about the movie, but as for this specific discussion I do think it uses the familiar to then give us the unfamiliar. Obviously there is a throne room scene, Jedi training, a battle on a white surface with walkers. I do think its using the familiar to then not do the exact things wed expect. Having said that the idea it is so subversive or whatever I don't agree with. The basic plot of Rey finds Luke, he dont wanna train her, he is convinced to, she wants to leave against Lukes wishes, she and the Resistance get into trouble, Luke comes to help and is killed by Kylo while the Resistance escapes is a pretty simple plot and if i had told most fans before the movie that was the outline they;d all have nodded their heads.

As for TROS, I just don't know what to make of it. It feels just like a mess of ideas where very little works outside of the comradrie and interactions between the main characters. 

27 minutes ago, The Choc said:

The distance for many fans between "this is just a rehash of Star Wars" vs "This just doesn't feel like Star Wars" is very very small. 

This is 100% true, and think it is why TLJ is so divisive, as is the opinions of most of the Disney era entries. It's funny how everyone was celebrating Disney when Mando came along to anchor D+ and deliver on the post ROTJ most people wanted... but it didn't take long for points of view to shift. My thesis was if it is legit GOOD, then you can get away with anything. If it's BAD, you can't get away with anything.

But I think Andor is legit good, and the most hardcore of fans like it least. Fandom wants the same stuff over and over, but also doesn't;t but does but doesn't.

At least most people agree TROS is objectively bad. It's a reddit thread turned into a movie.

With Mando I feel most fans really enjoyed the early stuff, obviously Baby Yoda is just an all time genius creation. However they wanted to story to become less story of the week and more of something larger. Then when it did that most people didn't like it. Which was fair because the whole story about the Mandalorians wasn't very good.

Also just the Favreau/Filoni stuff with the intertwined storytelling just doesn't work in 99% of cases. There are obviously episodes of BOBF that are Mando episodes. There is a Mando episode on Coruscant about how crappy the New Republic is. It just doesn't work. Marvel was a once in a generation thing that needed 10 different things to work perfectly to work out. And it did in the biggest way possible culminating with End Game. Since then even the "Marvel way" hasn't worked for Marvel. Its never going to work for Star Wars. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.