Flying!

My Dad is turning 80 and they want to surprise birthday party my old man in Georgia. I want to go but I have no more paid time off from school so basically I'm flying out Saturday early and coming back possibly on Monday or Sunday. 

WHO the hell flies Spirit? I think I'm going to pay extra and fly on Delta because non-stop and I trust them to be less stupid.

You know how adventure movies sometimes show an American getting on a bus in a third world country— people are packed in tight, there’s loose goats, some old lady has a chicken in a cage on her lap, the route is treacherous, and usually the bus breaks down in the middle of nowhere so the hero gets off, but then the bus leaves them behind?

That’s basically flying Spirit.

16 hours ago, Tank said:

You know how adventure movies sometimes show an American getting on a bus in a third world country— people are packed in tight, there’s loose goats, some old lady has a chicken in a cage on her lap, the route is treacherous, and usually the bus breaks down in the middle of nowhere so the hero gets off, but then the bus leaves them behind?

That’s basically flying Spirit.

I got tricked in to boarding a Spirit flight once

When I realized this and asked the pilot where we were flying to, they got distracted and we crashed into another plane

Spirit and Frontier was about $100 cheaper but one of the flights had me going from San Antonio, to Seattle and then to Atlanta. I was in the air for 18 hours. Southwest was the most surprising. Delta had non-stop (keep in mind Atlanta is Delta's main hub) and before points it was $429 for a week out from flying while Southwest's comparable non-stop flight was $639. When I fly to the western states I try and book on American as they're often cheaper than Delta. But American had me going to Dallas and no direct non-stop flights for $459.

To be honest I am a flying snob. I like the way Delta preboards better than Southwest. Flying out of San Antonio is expensive but I didn't have time to drive to Houston and fly out even if it saved me over $100. Delta and American Airlines tend to have a better class of people flying sometimes too. I can't explain it. The times I flew Southwest I sat next to a girl who was obnoxious with eating, kept fidgeting like she was on drugs and had to get up nine times to go to the bathroom or families with lots of kids kicking seats or begging you to change seats so they can sit together. Spirit and Frontier tend to nickle and dime you. Oh you want to take a bag with you on the flight? Welll that going to be more. Pick a seat? Okay that's more. It's constant upsell. I hate that. Although Delta was pushing all kinds of things on me while booking. I have lots of family so I don't have to rent a car in Atlanta. Someone will pick me up and drop me off. 

I have flow spirit and frontier both multiple times.   Never again.  Sure, every now and again you have a bad experience with an airline but it usually pretty easy.  It is the exact opposite with Spirit and Frontier.  Every now and again you have a good experience but it is usually shit.  

Like, I could tell you about how are bags took six hours to get from the plane to the pick-up because they didn't pay their baggage handlers, or how I was standard at the airport (along with the rest of the flight) for TWO days for them to get a working airplane to us and didn't tell us it would take two days and didn't give us ANY vouchers until minutes before the working plane arrived and then wouldn't accept the vouchers on the plane. 

The last time I flew Frontier it was out of desperation because I missed my connection in Denver thanks to weather and it was literally that or get a hotel. It wasn't as bad as some people's experiences but it was still a cluster fuck and the seats are the worst. I remember when they used to be a good airline with DirecTV in the seat back!

Because I went to an aviation college, I have a lot of friends who are pilots. 90% of them are at Delta at this point. One thing they universally agree on is that they would never get on an Allegiant flight because they have horrible maintenance. Spirit is the next worst airline on their list (and one of them was a pilot for them before they went to Delta).

• 2 weeks later...

Ewwwwwwww. There was a really obnoxious woman on my last flight out of ATL last Sunday. We had the middle seat open between us because it wasn't a full flight and she spread out. I think she actually managed to kick me in my fat calves in the window seat when crossing and uncrossing her legs and she threw her coat across like I wasn't even there, so it fell partially on me and listened to her iPhone without headphones, but the Delta stewardess was like MISSSSSSSS here's some headphones and asked her to not block the aisles. and other seats without me saying anything. HA!

People ruin everything with there weirdness.

2 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

When did flying go from being a treat to like being on a foreign bus?

I recall dressing up to go on a plane and looking forward to the meal

Did you fly in 1937?

Yeah, I never understood. Sure let me dress up. Let me be as uncomfortable as possible as I’m crammed into a flying tin can stuffed to the brim full of humanity. Let me make it worse on myself! Wouldn’t want other people’s feelings to get hurt by me being comfortable instead!

tami I know that’s not what YOURE saying but it’s the sentiment I dislike 

The couple of times i flew in the 80s the flights were never packed. There was also more leg room. The dressing nice part I think is relative. Wearing jeans, T-shirt, a slip ons make getting through security a lot easier. People forget how easy it was pre TSA. 

What makes flying so bad these days is that people  have no problem being ***holes while flying. Someone being a dick on a flight could be the difference in you missing a connector. 

I think some people are too comfortable for public life. Tina and I used to talk about that because our Mom used to be like "You're going out dressed like that? At least put lipstick on." My Mom would dress to go to the grocery store like in an actual outfit. There was no pj bottoms and braless and crazy hair to pick up potatoes and wine in my Moms book. So Tina was always done up. It took her 45 minutes to get ready to run to Walmart. I would tell Tina she had to let that go and be comfortable in her skin because she had mental issues stemming from that type of being. But people are getting more in that comfort zone regardless like everythings meant for public business. They talk like they're at home or with a group of close friends in public - like those people who yak on the phone and everyone can hear ALL their business as they shop or ride in a plane. They wear whatever and do whatever they'd do at home behind a closed door but out there like the line to check out is there living room. I want more boundries about that. I don't want to wear lipstick and do my hair to go to the grocery store but clean pants and not screaming at your kids like crazy person on a phone in public would be good. OR maybe I just hate messy people because it reads like you're a cluttered mind and to avoid LOL I say this as a fat girl and a lot of people probably make a lot of assumptions about me.

15 hours ago, Gamevet said:

Fly Southwest. They have good prices and pretty nice planes.

They also have the most inconvenient chaotic loading strategy, which is why at any airport on the west coast, the terminal is always chaos outside Southwest's spot.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

They also have the most inconvenient chaotic loading strategy, which is why at any airport on the west coast, the terminal is always chaos outside Southwest's spot.

It's been a few years. It used to be that you would approach to the podium to get a group number to board the plane. Now, I think it's the time that you check in at the airport, terminal, where you get to choose your seat. It's a bit inconvenient, but at least you're able to sit together with your group on the plane. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.