Have you guys heard about the guys lost in a submersible looking for the titanic?

Ms. Spam

They ran out of air days ago. Unless the HMS Deathtub surfaced miles away and is adrift, things are not looking good. Sad to report.

This is NOT related to Orcas around the globe suddenly attacking yachts and fishing boats. which, in general, I am cool with.

I asked a group of coworkers today at a summer meeting if they'd rather die in space like that or die under the sea like that. Space has a better view.

I am definitely for becoming space junk.

Turns out this company's Yelp rating is the suck.

And it's hilarious the amount of meme's this generated. America proves that it's way of coping with stuff is, well, cracking jokes. Tommy freaked out on Facebook and was like it's NOT FUNNY YA'LL!

1 hour ago, Ms. Spam said:

And it's hilarious the amount of meme's this generated. America proves that it's way of coping with stuff is, well, cracking jokes. Tommy freaked out on Facebook and was like it's NOT FUNNY YA'LL!

That goes back to the Challenger tragedy back in the 80s (NASA = Need Another Seven Astronauts). It's odd I keep hearing about ocean related deaths lately. There was the kid who jumped off the party boat at night who was lost, a dude who was eaten by a shark while his dad and girlfriend could only watch from the beach, now this...I think I'll be avoiding the ocean.

If I hear one more person compare this bullshit to the Challenger disaster I'm going to lose my mind. The Challenger crew and Christa McAuliffe were true heroes who died in pursuit of knowledge and truly being explorers. This sub contained a bunch of rich- ass ghouls going someplace they were in no way  prepared for and need not have been.

Trust issues with the government and media should be thought about. Apparently the Navy heard the implosion of the sub and knew what happened but the search and media about it kept on for days after the implosion giving people a kinda story and hope they'd be found and spending tons of money to find said sub which literally blew up. I guess searching for the sub was a kind of sea exploration. UGH.

At least they died instantly.

My heart truly breaks for the families of those men, and especially for the 19 year-old kid that was with them. But the absolute hubris and privilege on display from all of this is just...I don't know if there's a word tbh. It's anger inducing for sure. 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:19 PM, Tank said:

Honestly, it's the 19 year old that's keeping me from making jokes. His only crime was being born to millionaires.

I believe his father was a billionaire. You'd think that a person with the smarts to invest and create businesses, would have looked at the track record of the craft, before spending $500,000 to risk his and his son's life on such an endeavor. I've seen videos of what the craft looked like, inside and out. The craft had no seats, minimal space and what appeared to be, very limited technology. I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten on that craft. 

I’ve been mulling this over and over in my mind — much like Russell Crowe’s, it’s a beaut! — because the takes just keep on coming re: this thing. The world wonders!

Here’s what I’ve arrived at:

I feel like a bunch of people sinking themselves by the Titanic is just innately funny. Doesn’t matter who it happens to. There could have been among the dead an innocent babe who has not yet known the breath of sin upon its naked nape — there kind of was; nineteen years old is awful young + of course, everyone who ever lived was once a baby, was once loved — and it’d still have been funny. A bunch of people sunk themselves by the Titanic! It’d be like if somebody, anybody, got shot at Ford’s Theatre. Oh no!!!1 Not again!!!1!

It’s so funny that it’s almost hack. The Almighty’s packet needs a little work!!!1!? Just a few days ago Robert Smigel commented on that big list of half-jokes on the whiteboard that the Workaholics (‘11-’17) writers declared verboten, unusable, because the stuff was so clichéd. He said that when they were starting on Late Night with Conan O’Brien (‘93-’09) they tried to avoid the obvious stuff too. Pirates, aliens, Lincoln. But I kind of feel like Lincoln is one of Conan’s go-to’s. I don’t think they could keep away from it! The obvious stuff only became obvious BECAUSE it’s so funny!

My point is that I think as G-d has settled into Himself as a comedic force He has maybe decided that it’s okay to indulge Himself now and again. Really let loose. Don’t second guess things. Be unafraid of repetition. Whatever next? RFK Jr. gunned down in a hotel kitchen? Planes flown into One World Trade Center on a cold September morn? Is Mr. Hitler going to start another war?

Originally the kids Mom was slated to go on that sub with her husband but for fathers day it was deemed the boy would go because Mom had a case of HELL NO'S. The kid didn't want to go but was going to make something out of it by breaking a Rubiks Cube record under sea. Try and make Dad happy. Suddenly healthy boundaries seems like a good thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.