dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

7 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I'm all about inclusion but, within the context of the SW universe, how does the Empire explain going from seemingly British men only to having females as well as alien races in stories outside of the original films?  It's probably not even worth asking, as it is a potential problematic question, but I always wondered if that was ever explained anywhere in the EU at all.

From what I remember in the Thrawn trilogy (it's been 25+ years since I read it), there was an anti-alien/pro-human sentiment in the Empire, which made it very rare for someone like Thrawn to make Grand Admiral.  As for female officers, there were a few in EU as well (can't remember the names), and one book centered around one (admiral Daala, I think).  Mara Jade is another example of a female imperial, who was the Emperor's Hand (an assassin trained in the force...a forerunner of Inquisitors I suppose).

4 hours ago, Zathras said:

From what I remember in the Thrawn trilogy (it's been 25+ years since I read it), there was an anti-alien/pro-human sentiment in the Empire, which made it very rare for someone like Thrawn to make Grand Admiral.  As for female officers, there were a few in EU as well (can't remember the names), and one book centered around one (admiral Daala, I think).  Mara Jade is another example of a female imperial, who was the Emperor's Hand (an assassin trained in the force...a forerunner of Inquisitors I suppose).

I remember all this as well…it just never seemed to add up.  Going from the films to suddenly in the EU the Empire loosens their restrictions or something.  I wouldn’t necessarily call it an inconsistency but it felt off to me. 

Well, the galaxy, and the Empire itself, is vast.  We just see a few units in the OT.  It would be like assuming all the military in the US was made of a certain group of people based on the people you see in a few regiments or something like that.  

I first noticed it in video games like Battlefront. In Battlefront II it wasn't an on the nose explanation, but by way of story you met a few non-white Imperials who basically said that they grew up on Imperial worlds. Point being, it's kinda like being a German citizen in the military and all of a sudden the Nazi party takes over and you work for them. It was just a career path for a lot of them, but along they way they may have been indoctrinated. And of course of you were a racist white dude, you excelled.

But yeah, that was why the SS existed, to be military officers loyal to the Nazi party.

I always thought that if Palpatine was Hitler, then the Sith (and Inquisitors) were the SS. The Imperial Army and Navy were made of conscripted/drafted regular folks (like Han or Biggs before they jumped ship. That leaves the ISB (from Andor) to be the Gestapo.

Actually, as a kid, I thought Palpatine was an alien, and the ONLY alien in the Empire. When I first read Heir it was one of the many things I didn't like, making Thrawn an alien.

13 hours ago, Gamevet said:

I must have missed, when it was mentioned that Thrawn was an alien. Which book was that revealed in? I'm pretty sure that I only read the 1st book.

I also have not read Heir to the Empire in a while....I read it in junior high then read it again about five or six years ago.  I think Zahn went very descriptive on Thrawn in Heir to the Empire regarding his skin and eyes, etc.....

I could be wrong here....again, it's been a while!

Definitely an author thing from my memory - it was clear in that first book he looked exactly how we see him now, and there was references in the book about how exceptional that was for him to rise to that position with the Empire’s dislike of the alien races.

17 hours ago, Metropolis said:

Thrawn isn't on the original cover. He's on a reissue.. 

It's been a while since I've read the EU, so I'm having a hard time remembering if the Empire/alien discrimination was a GL thing or an author thing.

I would say it was heavily implied in the OT but never talked about or discussed in-scene.....not even in the novels but I could be wrong on the novels.  Haven't read those since high school.  Then I think the books picked it up and ran with it....but did they?

I’d always assumed that his appearance had something to do with the dark side of the force.

Lucas gave the Empire a Nazi Germany look. Just look at the outfits of the people on their ships. They very much look like those of the SS.

Thrawn is on the cover of the paperback. He looks very much like a dark force user.

IMG_1403.thumb.png.0703dffc69ceab7698b905f6c91700a0.png

The closer i get to 50, the more I'm sure I need to get my eyes checked lol. The reissue has just Thrawn and Luke on the cover. 

The Anderson trilogy used sexism as Admiral Daala was discriminated against because she was a woman. When you look back at it through adult eyes it's actually pretty egregious. She only gets promoted because she's sleeping with Tarkin. And even then she's given command of a fleet in the middle of a bunch of black holes. I mean damn!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.