Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Finally got my average in calculus up to a B! Woohoo! But when I asked my professor if I could include the unit circle on my formula sheet for the test, he asked why I hadn't memorized it by now. Uh, dude, I took trig in high school. I was 16, now I'm 32. I think it's forgivable that most of it has disappeared from my memory bank. He hasn't really answered me back though. :unimpressed:

In other news, did anybody else not know that Lesley Gore was a lesbian?

I love good coffee, but it tears my stomach apart so I can't drink it without consequences.

I hate calculus and will never willingly do it again. I passed the AP test in high school and haven't touched it since. Thank goodness I didn't have to take it in college.

I like it. And it's not the calculus itself that's doing me in. It's the 10+ years of math I took beforehand that's killing me. On my last test, all my wrong answers were from miscalculations, bad algebra, or bad geometry. The calculus I did was correct, but everything else got me the wrong answer. I take a little bit of comfort in that. At least the problems were all set-up correctly, so if I could use a program or stop to look something up, there's a good chance I would have gotten credit for those problems as well. But as it was, I wasted probably 10 minutes trying to make this one problem work out correctly only to suddenly realize that a tetrahedron has a triangle base not a square. Though I did get that one correct after I erased literally half a page of work.

I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but I just saw someone online mention the following book that they said helped them and some friends of theirs with remembering algebra concepts, at least:

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Algebra-Barbara-Lee-Bleau/dp/1438001509

I love good coffee, but it tears my stomach apart so I can't drink it without consequences.

I hate calculus and will never willingly do it again. I passed the AP test in high school and haven't touched it since. Thank goodness I didn't have to take it in college.

I like it. And it's not the calculus itself that's doing me in. It's the 10+ years of math I took beforehand that's killing me. On my last test, all my wrong answers were from miscalculations, bad algebra, or bad geometry. The calculus I did was correct, but everything else got me the wrong answer. I take a little bit of comfort in that. At least the problems were all set-up correctly, so if I could use a program or stop to look something up, there's a good chance I would have gotten credit for those problems as well. But as it was, I wasted probably 10 minutes trying to make this one problem work out correctly only to suddenly realize that a tetrahedron has a triangle base not a square. Though I did get that one correct after I erased literally half a page of work.

I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but I just saw someone online mention the following book that they said helped them and some friends of theirs with remembering algebra concepts, at least:

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Algebra-Barbara-Lee-Bleau/dp/1438001509

I need this more for trig actually. The algebra is coming back just fine. It's the trig that's...uhh...stuck(?) in there somewhere. I'm doing much better now though. My biggest issue at the moment is how much writing is involved in this.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better now! I wasn't sure what parts you were having trouble with, so when I came across this, I thought I'd send it your way just in case. I kind of figured it would be trig that would be giving more problems, though, since it is one of the big difficulties many people have with calculus, regardless of how quickly they take it after a trigonometry class. If I see any other similar resources about trig (or hear about any from my colleagues who are more involved with teaching trig and calculus), I'll pass them along.

I got an email today congratulating me on making the President's List at school. Is that like making the Dean's List? I have no idea. But it was encouraging nonetheless. Only now I feel even more compelled to make a better grade in this STUPID ****ing CLASS OMG WHY ARE INTEGRALS EVEN A THING I'M SO DONE WITH THIS SHIT. Just when I convinced myself that I would be ok if I managed a C instead of a B (I've already made peace with the impossibility of an A).