Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

Katie and I are getting into major purging mode, and one of the things I especially want to get rid of are DVDs and blurays. The vast majority I'll never watch again, and if I really want to see the movie, it's easy enough to stream it somewhere, so they're just taking up space.

Anybody else ditch their physical media? I know Seth has never really been into owning it in the first place, but I'm more thinking about how you got rid of it--especially recently. There's not really a very big market for it anymore. I'm thinking of using a combination of amazon trade in and decluttr.

Right now I have our DVDs in a plastic tub, after putting them all on a hard drive for direct streaming. I've gotten rid of some, but not all, mainly using Amazon.

I hadn't even thought of Amazon trade-in. That's a really good idea. Buy/sell/trade on Facebook or Craigslist is another option but I think more difficult. I get rid of kids stuff on Facebook and Craigslist often.

We're trying to go to digital. We really only buy kids DVDs (and rarely at that), and then we always buy a digital copy.

I gave a giant stack of DVDs to my mother in law last weekend. We still have a bunch, but I'm ok with keeping them.

I'm doing a major purge of my kitchen this week. Actually, I'm doing this 14 week challenge. This week is the kitchen. It's awesome being a part of the Facebook group. Everybody posts pictures and for every "OMG I want that kitchen!!" there are 2-3 "OMG how in the hell did you get your kitchen/fridge/pantry to hold that much ****?!?" It's very encouraging.

We're saving everything up for a garage sale in a month or two. Last year we made almost $600 with a garage sale. This year we also have a couch, china cabinet, desk, and 2 dressers to sell.

I've contemplated getting rid of the cases and putting them in books, but I would not get rid of the actual DVD.

That's what I have done with the vast majority of my dvds and blurays over the past many years. I only really keep the discs in the cases for the movies I really like and watch somewhat frequently. It has saved me tons of space.

Before I moved in the fall, though, I tried to dump some of the more recent acquisitions I had in cases still that I wouldn't watch again and/or had on blu-ray, too, at a yard sale. I had some pretty good movies in the stock, but I was surprised that the main ones that sold were fairly obscure. Fortunately, a colleague took some of the others off my hands. Most other options to get rid of them that I could think of just seem like too much work for me compared to holding onto them.

Haha! That's funny. Once I received a dumb phone call at work verifying our information. It went something like this:

"is your fax number there 987 654-3210?"

"...um no...that's actually the phone number."

"really? We have a different phone number for you too. I'll change them both."

How the hell did this guy actually manage to call me then? Did he like...misdial the correct number? Talk about stupid.

I had a person yell at me that their claim number was the fax number. I kept explaining to them that it was a phone number, for the fax line, but he wouldn't believe me.

Guys. I posted a picture of my pantry to a FB group and in 20 hours it's gotten 468 likes. It's not really that amazing of a pantry or anything either. It's just a pretty organized tiny pantry with a lot of processed food we keep on hand for days when nobody wants to cook real food. But literally it's been getting a like every 3 minutes or so.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Factoid # 68426774

When you have flat, grand brut Perrier Joliet left over from New Year's in your fridge, Sprite turns it into a pretty kick ass spritzer. Just sayin.

Yeah! Put that in your Pinterest pipe and smoke it!