Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

So my mom had a small stroke, but something else is up, too. A neurologist checked her out and is ordering more tests tomorrow. She's got "word salad" and it's a struggle to talk to her on the phone. Tonight when I talked to her, she mispronounced Ethan's name (Eth-an instead of E-than).

And, of course, my frigging crazy family has already driven the doctors nuts so now they're only releasing info to me. Hooray.

I'm never in institutions or agencies that can afford SPSS or similar programs, so it's R or nothing. I certainly don't have an understanding of statistics that you do, I have little flowcharts (like this) and PPTs where I created an example for every statistical analysis with screen captures, code, etc.

Thanks for the tip on RStudio! I hadn't heard of that before. Watched the demo video, I am going to play with that a bit this weekend.

So my mom had a small stroke, but something else is up, too. A neurologist checked her out and is ordering more tests tomorrow. She's got "word salad" and it's a struggle to talk to her on the phone. Tonight when I talked to her, she mispronounced Ethan's name (Eth-an instead of E-than).

And, of course, my frigging crazy family has already driven the doctors nuts so now they're only releasing info to me. Hooray.

Yikes! Sorry! I'll be praying for ya!

Destiny, I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

I'm never in institutions or agencies that can afford SPSS or similar programs, so it's R or nothing. I certainly don't have an understanding of statistics that you do, I have little flowcharts (like this) and PPTs where I created an example for every statistical analysis with screen captures, code, etc.

Thanks for the tip on RStudio! I hadn't heard of that before. Watched the demo video, I am going to play with that a bit this weekend.

If I didn't have access to Matlab, I would be using R, too. That flowchart looks like it'd be helpful for general types of procedures to use, especially with the assumption checks in it. I know many people tend to not think about those and just blindly use procedures. I hope that you find Rstudio helpful!

At least they're giving you information. I tried to get the family all on the same page about my father's condition -- the reason only for us to have all the same medical information -- and somehow it goes around I'm seeking conservatorship(!!). fuck these crazies.

The 3 small strokes were followed by a much larger, more serious one, which explains the "word salad". Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any muscle issues, she can physically speak fine, but the words come out all jumbled or she switches her subjects (telling me she's going to give the phone to me when she really means her sister, stuff like that). They're looking for a blood clot to make sure the event is over and another stroke isn't on the way.

My mom is really upset and angry, because she feels like they should've known another one was coming and given her some medicine to stop it. What I found out was it really depends on what kind of stroke she had and how soon they realized it was a stroke. She's frustrated at not being able to express herself easily. She fully understands everything that is happening. And I know she is upset because the strokes that have happened in our family have left the person pretty incapacitated, from being almost child-like to barely being able to talk or swallow. She fears that has happened to her. I don't think it's quite that bad, but it's not good, and I can imagine how terrified she is.

She will need some sort of rehabilitation to regain her speaking ability, I'm sure. After that, I'm pretty sure she will need to find a new place to live. Her home care is unreliable and unstable, and I think the stroke brings her to a higher level of care being required. I'm looking into adult family homes and nursing homes near me (assisted living has said her needs are too great). I'm really dreading this. I know I sound like a terrible person, but my mom is very high-maintenance and needy, and we don't get along that well. Her family is all tired of her, as well, which is why they're pushing for her to move closer to me, so that she becomes my problem. I have 2 small children to take care of, and I have almost no time for myself or my husband already. She is a full-time job, and I already have one of those. I'm not sure I can handle all of this emotionally.

I am not sure what is worse growing old or what will kill us once we do get old. I am so sorry for your Mom's troubles and I completely understand a trepidation about having your mom near. On the bright side cell phone stuff will be easier. Well maybe not so much a bright side but I know you had issues with your Mom and phones.

She's on my plan now and Verizon won't drop her because they're the only ones that service her area. I would say that I wouldn't mind paying a little less or having unlimited data, but Verizon has been absolutely fantastic since we switched.

Playing telephone with my family and the hospital tonight. I don't know if my mom is just paranoid or if my aunt is making things into a big deal or what. I'm so tired of this hospital, the doctors are terrible and won't take the time to review my mom's file fully and they just want her gone and out of their hair. I had to call a social worker because the crazy doctor was trying to discharge my mom to HOME tomorrow and canceled the CT scan the neurologist wanted. I probably need to get her out of Nebraska just for that reason alone. I hope I can find some place close so she can go to UW and not some joke redneck hospital for her medical care.