Christmas Buying

monkeygirl

Definitely! We've had plenty of trees that were only decorated on one half! And that half has changed through the years. We had years where we could only decorate the top because toddlers. We've only done the front part of a tree because of walls and corners. We've had trees that are only decorated on the bottom half because the children insisted on doing it all themselves. 

In my experience, children don't give 2 shits what a tree looks like as long as one is up. 

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I need to start looking for stocking stuffers and I hate doing that

I hate sticking stuffers. It's always just stuff that's cute for a minute and ends up in a pile that;' never touched. Don't know if you guys have Rocket Fizz up there-- but that's where I go now. Everybody gets a the weird candy they like and a novelty soda. Consumables make for less clutter!

On 12/3/2023 at 10:53 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

I have a first world problem. How do I get my Boomer dad to stop buying not just 1, but 2 proof sets every fucking year for my kids? They do not collect coins. They don't collect shit other than art supplies. I've tried to tell him it's just clutter, that it just goes into a box, that it's not actually worth what he pays for it. The man won't stop. He is convinced crap like will be worth something, especially if you have a lot of it, and he loves collecting junk.

I don't understand this attitude. People are always buying things in the hopes that someday, it'll be worth a buttload of money. It won't. This never happens. That Star Wars/Star Trek/Lord of the Rings crap you bought decades ago won't sell for nearly as much as you would like...OR you won't want to sell it, ever, because you enjoy looking at it or you want to give it to your kids to play with. I remember the "invest in gold coins" fad with ads everywhere. Always thought it was stupid, because if the SHTF, who the heck is going to want it? I need to buy food at the end of the world, who wants my gold coins in exchange for a loaf of bread? Anyone?

On 12/7/2023 at 5:05 PM, monkeygirl said:

You don't even decorate? I do just to make me happy, usually just lights in my more unmotivated seasons

I've been losing interest over the years, just basically doing it out of habit, I guess. Decided not to even bother anymore. I like decorations and lights, I just personally don't want to have to deal with them.

I think best case you're going to get like a hundred bucks out of something. Millions? Even hundreds of thousands? No way. There's just been way too much mass produced shit since post WW2. But seeing as that's when my parents grew up, they think that old = $$$. But really I think it was rarity that drove antiques to be worth something.

I watched a reel about a millennial who said she didn't care if her house was boring because all of the Boomer decor she grew up with was cluttered and ridiculous. This got some Boomers mad, who claimed her house looked like an asylum. But she had a point about all the displayed collections and tchockes. I started to do that shit when I first moved out because my parents were like take all your shit with you, but I realized I didn't want the junk, either. Like I have a China hutch because thats what you're supposed to do and now I wish I had more of a buffet to just store all the stupid dishes instead of displaying them. I think people used to think that collecting was a way to show off your "wealth", but really its just showing off your hoarding.

Okay so stocking stuffers for kids...

I love making snake socks. Kids always need socks and you can do other things but with boys snake socks are best. And some girls. 

I buy cute socks (I like argyle because the pattern is like a snake) and some buttons and felt. You sew the buttons on for eyes. I like to stack a black largish button under a white button and sew on the top of the sock like eyes near where the arch of the foot goes. Then you cut the felt in a little forked tongue out of red or pink felt and sew on the tongue at the tip of the sock by the middle finger toe. It's a hit with boys and some girls. And kids always need socks. If you're feeling adventurous you can try other animal types like bunnies or a dog and instead of a forked tongue sew felt ears near where the ankles go for kids. After a day or two and the novelty has worn off you can cut that stuff off and you got socks for a while they can wear.

Underpantz. No lie. But really who likes opening that stuff up in front of everyone. But I like awkward moments.

When it was all the rage I did disposable cameras but now I think it's even funnier to give them because who develops that damn film anyways?

They need to bring back chocolate oranges. I swear to god. Who's in charge of candy now? All the candy sucks.

T-shirts. Walmart has like $7 ones.

Bath/shower stuff is always a hit in our house

Seconding the socks, especially wool or alpaca if you're feeling extra Santa-ish.

High end fancy chocolates, if that's their thing.

Smelly candles and/or incense and one of those nifty electronic rechargeable lighters.

Bags o' snacks.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, monkeygirl said:

I have friends here who only decorate the top half of their tree

On 12/13/2023 at 9:14 AM, Cerina said:

Definitely! We've had plenty of trees that were only decorated on one half! And that half has changed through the years. We had years where we could only decorate the top because toddlers. We've only done the front part of a tree because of walls and corners. We've had trees that are only decorated on the bottom half because the children insisted on doing it all themselves. 

In my experience, children don't give 2 shits what a tree looks like as long as one is up. 

I do like the idea, but the big problem right now is him pulling it over. He is constantly pulling at anything he can get his hands on.  Our tree and most of the ornaments also have a lot of other stuff piled on them now in the basement closet, so it would be horrible to try to dig it all out. The other stuff is all things that got displayed Ed to make room for him. Our guest room used to be storage, but we have had family staying with us for a vast majority of the last year for various reasons (and are very glad they have been here), so storage space has just filled up completely.

We will get some type of little tree set up somewhere high so he can see it but can’t get to it.

I took a picture of my tree because Tami asked on Facebook and then I forgot to post it lol.

My tree has a bunch of photo ornaments (I do a new one of our family every year) and handmade ornaments from the kids and me (from when I was a kid). We also have a bunch of silver metal snowflake ornaments from when we first got a tree and had no decorations. Then we have a few silly decorations like Funko Grogu and R2-D2. I do a little bit of ribbon and beaded garland. And then there's the baby gate because my husband still doesn't trust Luna (we have a few handmade wooden ornaments that she's chewed up the last few years, golden retrievers gonna retrieve).

We had these beautiful glass icicles when I was a kid and I have no idea what happened to them. They would catch the lights on the tree and be so pretty. I wonder if I could find something like that again.

20231213_141828.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.