Ahsoka series - Sabine Wren has been cast!

CoLA

You can't look at it as an apples to apples situation. What's the one thing the New Republic is missing? The Jedi Order. The Jedi were dispatched in a lot of situations to look into these matters. Back then there was fear that the Jedi would catch onto you if you were doing something shady. Like the Republic, the New Republic didn't have a military. They have security forces for the most part. That's why they gave Hera a hard time about sending a squadron out to find Sabine and Ahsoka. 

24 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Well no they don't HAVE to have to, but I think you know what I meant.

Well obviously I do but I think you also get my point that the political situation in Star Wars should be the background of the story and not what really matters. 

Another thing that can't be taken for granted is the long game Palpatine played. He built up factions to undermine the Republic. He took an army commissioned to help the Republic scatter the Jedi across the galaxy by fighting the separatists. He then uses that army to wipe out almost all the Jedi. Palpy also was able to convince give up freedoms for protection.

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

In your life experience how many real life governments are not inept? This tracks perfectly. Plenty of people who were war weary from WWI put their heads in the sand in the lead up to WWII. Whats transpiring in the New Republic is probably the closest to what would actually happen. 

I mean in Harry Potter they don't listen to friggin Albus Dumbledore and the timeline between the 2 wars is even shorter in Potter. 

I don't follow Harry Potter but the real-world comparison does make sense.  Still, from a viewer's perspective, the New Republic still seems dumb for not listening.  It would only take a couple warships to check things out.  But I get your point. 

There's a very simple bit of screenwriting advice that says "show, don't tell." It's a one of those things that is very simple, and often the right way to go about things-- but it's sometimes so simple and doesn't work that people who want to give notes, but don't know how, throw it out because they aren't sure why something isn't working for them.

In this case though, it's a very on point criticism. It's not enough that we are just being told about Ezra and Thrawn. They are trading on the fact that Thrawn has a rep in the extended Star Wars mythos for a lot of fans, and that Ezra was the star of Rebels. Again, it's not that people can't follow what Ahsoka is putting out, but I very much doubt anyone new to this show that didn't see Rebels or read the Thrawn books has any feeling about them either way. There's not a lot going on in terms of stakes with this story.

The only stakes we're seen that have been delivered on is Sabine falling in with the baddies to get what she wants, which is a very Star Wars thing to do.

Maybe I'm the only one, but personally I loved the last episode. I don't even mind the background politics stuff. That's the tie to the ST, it's setting up the failure of the New Republic and exactly why Leia started to get out of politics. She saw the threat that still existed.

I'm able to follow even though I haven't seen every episode of Clone Wars, and honestly, most of Rebels. Granted I've been a SW fan for most of my life. Is the target audience really casual fans? I mean, my dad would have no frigging idea what's going on, but my husband is following along for the most part.

Side note: my daughter's therapist asked me to introduce her to Ahsoka through The Clone Wars. She thinks she needs a fictional role model and said when she was watching Clone Wars this weekend with her own kids, she realized Q reminded her so much of Ahsoka. :lol:

I never watched Clone Wars or Rebels.  I know of Ahsoka.  I read Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.  I have no clue who Sabine Wren or Ezra is, and I haven't been given a reason to give a shit.  Honestly, if I hadn't read the Thrawn trilogy I wouldn't really give a shit about him being in this (or actually NOT being in this) and why he is such a big deal. 

I am a few episodes in and I am struggling.  I would probably give it up but I saw Anakin is in it soon.  The highlight is Ray Stevenson's character, but he isn't in it much--maybe that is a good thing.  I like Rosario Dawson, but Ahsoka is just kind of a boring character from what I have seen so far. 

So what do ya’ll think…

Was the Ahsoka/Anakin bit really her on the edge of death and slipping into the word between worlds place, and that’s where force ghosts go…

…or was she having a Luke/cave Dagobah moment and Anakin was the personified darkness she carries in herself?

That was a good episode! All the cast involved were on top form I thought and nice character dev throughout.

And I am pleased we have a reason for the map (one of my early concerns), it makes sense that it was the nightsisters leaving the path back to this place.

Really enjoyed that one - just 2 left now which is a shame! 

On 9/12/2023 at 11:41 PM, Tank said:

kinda wished they’d given that second flashback to Ashley Eckstein, though she might be kinda old and not Latina enough to track as a 30 years younger Ahsoka.

I thought they should’ve dubbed Eckstein’s voice to those scenes of the younger Ahsoka. They already used it in Rise of Skywalker. So might as well because now Ahsoka’s voice keeps changing throughout the saga. 

I saw an exchange on FB that made me go HMMM.

Person A argues Ahsoka is a bonus season of Rebels and says as a not-cartoon watcher WHY DO I CARE ABOUT EZRA? I DONT KNOW HIS STORY. And somebody replied that in ANH we didn’t know Obi-Wan’s story (which obv didn’t fully exist then) and that Star Wars is becoming a tapestry that allows you to jump in anywhere, and choose which threads to go forward or back on— which is what mythology often does.

(Though that argument ignores narrative POV, which is why Luke/Obi-Wan works for a newcomer where Sabine/Ezra wouldn’t).

I actually really liked this episode, it had the strongest OT vibe I’ve seen in SW since Rogue One. 

On 9/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, Tank said:

So what do ya’ll think…

Was the Ahsoka/Anakin bit really her on the edge of death and slipping into the word between worlds place, and that’s where force ghosts go…

…or was she having a Luke/cave Dagobah moment and Anakin was the personified darkness she carries in herself?

So do you think that Ahsoka wearing white now is a nod to Gandalf the White?  Arguably she died and was saved by Anakin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.