Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

That's scary, Leif. I know how you feel. My fairly new female, 3 year old loves to chase rabbits, and I had to yell at her to stop because she was running into the street. Mind you, our street does not have heavy traffic. But, at times, there will be some asshole that floors it down the road doing 45, 50, whatever. Has caused me to leash her many times.

As for neighbors, I strong suggest getting to know your neighbors. Trust me. I felt the same way, not wanting to know my neighbors/avoiding them. That was a mistake. Once we all opened up, we like each other, and help each other with things (Advice on cars, lawn mowers, other household items, referring me to somebody that can help, shoveling snow, etc.). My neighbors on my left, right and the 3 across the street are awesome. My neighbor on my left, and 1 across the street, and I have hung out many times. Watching football, etc. We have gone out together with my wife to social functions. Has made living where I am much more enjoyable. I would say that it has changed me as a person. Not kidding.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Ugh! Apartment living sucks!

A few years ago, I downsized from a house to an apartment again. I had learned my lesson from before, and thought I was smart by getting a top floor apartment this time. NOT! I had this psycho that lived below me, who was some legit crazy guy who would bang on walls and the ceiling at all hours, and for absolutely no reason. I put up with it for longer than I should have, and had to move out and get a house again.

I wish we knew our neighbors better. I know the family across the street, but that's it. The guy who lives behind us came by last winter to complain that we were making his backyard flood and argued for like an hour about it despite my husband showing him all the things we had done to ensure we didn't flood his backyard and pointing out that it had been raining for 3 days and everyone had standing water. The guy tried to pull the engineer card, to which my husband pulled the "that's nice, my wife is a PE" card. I thought he was lying about being an engineer, but then one day my husband ran into him at work. My coworkers who know him confirmed he's an idiot.

I've got more to the story, but after his shenanigans a month later where he tried to re-level our yard, I told my husband I'm calling the cops if he rings our doorbell again. I don't even pretend to be friendly now.

UGH. That's terrible! My Dad gets to whip out "I'm a civil engineer" on a few neighbors. I think my favorite line to his neighbor who chose to ignore a dying tree was "I'm a civil engineer and I don't even need that degree to tell your dumbass that your dead tree is going to fall on my house. Cut it down" They'd had limbs falling down on their roof near the breakfast area during a storm and Dad had trimmed the branches that extended into his yard but the try was one foul wind away from toppling either on my Dad's house or his cars because of the slope of the yard. My step-mom and dad were never so happy as when that guy sold and moved. He had septic problems he refused to do things about, put his older father up in the garage when they couldn't afford his assisted living and kept a dog chained in the backyard even in bad weather.

To our left is a four plex that I call the “abuleta haus” cause it’s all Mexican grandmas. They are always giving us homemade food cause we let them raid our lemon tree and I take their garbage can to the curbs. On the otherside is this miserable woman that hates us.

Basically, before we moved in, my gf was using the house as an office for her company. One weekend morning she had a seconds sale in the yard. It wasn’t any more unruly than a yard sale, but she came out, took video, said it was illegal and made a big deal over it. We figured she was made because... I don’t know, there was a business? There were four employees, there was no shipping out of the house, everyone used the side driveway to park. It had zero impact and this woman just didn’t like it. She went to social media to complain, which turned out to be a bad move considering my gf has a following of the hundreds of thousands. She complained, and the internet went off on her like the internet do. We moved in a couple months later. That was four years ago and it’s been nothing but dirty looks ever since. i planted a hedge so I didn’t have to see her in her driveway.

The only other thing she’s ever said to us was “Oh, are you moving!?” When a delivery truck brought some furniture. I said NO and it was right back to the scowls.

When twitter first took off, I had a bunch of friends ask if I would join, and I was like "all twitter is is celebrities saying stupid shit that makes them look terrible" and I'd get the whole "no, no, it's really fun, you'll love it!"

I know how Cassandra felt.

I slept really badly this whole week, so on my last shift yesterday, I was very much looking forward to my one day off before I had to go to London for training. However, my colleague that was supposed to be working today took ill whilst she was at work, and I was the only person available to cover her shift today. I've spent today in a bad enough zombie state that a friend at work commented that my panda eyes are worse than normal today. These last few hours are going to be a struggle, especially since I know I have to go up to London to spend all day in lectures barely relevant to my role, and that I'll have to sit through a few hours of pretending to be a member of staff/hostage during role-playing scenarios that I will get nothing out of because I won't be involved with the individuals that the training is being run for, nor will I even be observing any of them. I have to be there for 9am, and the scenarios won't finish until 8pm at the earliest, meaning I won't be home until 10, and that's IF we get out on time.

They never run on time.

Also it's getting to Christmas, which is usually when my depression begins to kick in, so I have very little motivation to wake up tomorrow. The bright side is that after enduring the irrelevancy, I'll have 4 days off, session zero of my first D&D campaign is on Monday, and we're going to see Deadpool on Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xzla51VvUE&list=PLCFM1h5Oz66jLklzHztMoefOt4QBJNAwg&index=5&t=0s

Let me re-write this one for you, Ford:

You could have gone to the nearest Christmas tree farm and paid the hard-working farmer who grew the tree to cut down a nice little spruce, but you decided to go the illegal route and poach one off of private or government owned land. Because you have an example to set for your young child who is accompanying you on this little theft venture. And a Ford.

Someone stole my ladder and we had a major leak under our main bathroom sink the same day.

Using some gift cards and sales, I was able to replace the ladder for $30 out of pocket and I fixed the drain. Feeling very accomplished.

Someone stole my ladder and we had a major leak under our main bathroom sink the same day.

Using some gift cards and sales, I was able to replace the ladder for $30 out of pocket and I fixed the drain. Feeling very accomplished.

Nothing like a successful DIY plumbing job to validate the masculinity. Nice one.

Plumbing is the manliest maintenance thing. I really distrust myself with it, because I’ve seen the damage that can come from poorly completed projects. But my dad also taught us that if you’re dedicated and take your time, you can fix almost anything.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Plumbing is the manliest maintenance thing. I really distrust myself with it, because I’ve seen the damage that can come from poorly completed projects. But my dad also taught us that if you’re dedicated and take your time, you can fix almost anything.

And youtube is your friend. There is a video on how to fix almost any household issue, like plumbing. Even down to the specific model of whatever it is you want to fix yourself.

It's that Time VS Money thing! If you have the money, you pay to get it fixed. If you have more time than money, you fix it yourself!

Plumbing is the manliest maintenance thing. I really distrust myself with it, because Ive seen the damage that can come from poorly completed projects. But my dad also taught us that if youre dedicated and take your time, you can fix almost anything.

And youtube is your friend. There is a video on how to fix almost any household issue, like plumbing. Even down to the specific model of whatever it is you want to fix yourself.

It's that Time VS Money thing! If you have the money, you pay to get it fixed. If you have more time than money, you fix it yourself!

Between a kid in Catholic school and a new baby (complete with hospital bills!), I had more time than money and not much of either. Especially at Christmas. But the repair was about $4 and two hours, including going to buy the parts.

There's some stuff that I still wouldn't do, even with YouTube.

Plumbing is the manliest maintenance thing. I really distrust myself with it, because Ive seen the damage that can come from poorly completed projects. But my dad also taught us that if youre dedicated and take your time, you can fix almost anything.

Yeah! I removed the old one and installed a new single block mixer tap (faucet) in our kitchen cause the old one was limescaled to fuck and was dripping all the time. Had to remove some of the old copper pipes too so the new flexy ones would attach more conveniently. I felt like a certified right proper bloke after doing that.