Say Something Random II - Eclectic Depression

I also wrote a description for the invitation to my party:

Go away and stay there.

I'm locking my coworkers up and making them work for the key, so that's kind of the gist of it.

I always swell with pride when I see myself quoted in somebody's signature.

Your penis or your ego or both?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Wow, that's a lot of pounds. Great work!

I've dropped 50, but stalled out. Literally skipping both Holidays this year to avoid feasts.

My 1 year anniversary is coming up and...I have lost 90 lbs this year. If you count the year before, it's 120 lbs.

Dude. That's a whole person. Congratulations!

I'm down 20-ish pounds. I should just act like it was all intentional and take the praise when people notice, but I am truthful to a fault and immediately tell people it's because I've been so sick and stressed out for so long that I barely eat anything anymore, and that really kills the mood.

Thank you guys, and congrats to you all, too :)

Tank, I am doing the same. We will have Turkey Day, but the new rule is only enough food for 1 plate per person, and I personally am going to just have a small amount of carbs, and stick mostly to the protein. I've been eating the hell out of turkey this year, so Thanksgiving dinner is just another dinner, now.

Iceheart, hey, 20 lbs is 20 lbs!

I get this a lot, and... how awful is it that we're in a place in our society when a person loses a significant amount of weight in a very unhealthy way due to something being horribly wrong with their body, and everyone (medical staff included) sees this as a great thing because the person was overweight to begin with and we're all so obsessed with thinness that any weight loss has to be good weight loss?

I totally respect and admire anyone on a weight loss journey making healthy changes to their diet, but there's a huge, huge difference between healthy weight loss and weight loss from illness, and it just blows my mind that even doctors will be like "keep doing what you're doing, it's working great! :)" when you're sitting in their office terrified because you're sick and in pain and that weight loss is one of the biggest symptoms.

... not to pick on you, Chalup, you just hit a festering nerve. Sorry.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I get this a lot, and... how awful is it that we're in a place in our society when a person loses a significant amount of weight in a very unhealthy way due to something being horribly wrong with their body, and everyone (medical staff included) sees this as a great thing because the person was overweight to begin with and we're all so obsessed with thinness that any weight loss has to be good weight loss?

I totally respect and admire anyone on a weight loss journey making healthy changes to their diet, but there's a huge, huge difference between healthy weight loss and weight loss from illness, and it just blows my mind that even doctors will be like "keep doing what you're doing, it's working great! :)" when you're sitting in their office terrified because you're sick and in pain and that weight loss is one of the biggest symptoms.

... not to pick on you, Chalup, you just hit a festering nerve. Sorry.

You are correct for sure, and in no way was I trying to minimize what you are going through. Unhealthy weight loss can cause health issues, just as weight gain can. I didn't mean to hit a raw nerve, but was trying to say something positive. Sometimes I am not sure what to say in certain situations, and I end up saying something clumsy like here. insert foot in mouth. I'm just glad I only wear a size 10 1/2 shoe.

Hey, I don't even think it's your fault that you don't know what to say. Weight loss is considered a positive and free to be commented on in our society. Saying "wow, that sucks, I hope you figure that out soon" when it comes to weight loss is just foreign to us in general.

A guy I work with lost a ton of weight recently. A lot of were actually concerned. Turns out this extremely private person was going through cancer. He doesn't like talking about it though. I think because I own cats and know they are not feeling well when they stop eating and get thinner to think now before I say something.

One of my college professors was like that. I had her for a number of classes, and had a closer relationship with her than I did with most of my professors, so I kinda had a hint based on some of the stuff she said and did that something was off, but we were all really floored when she passed away "suddenly."

I'm not that private of a person, but I totally get not wanting to confront it every time you have a conversation with anyone, so you just don't talk about it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have to start paying bills so I can see how much money I will be able to spend this weekend! HA!

What???!!! Be responsible? Live within your means? How dare you! Kindly adult somewhere else, please!

I am not sure how I feel about Thanksgiving this year. I'm going to a kind of "Friendsgiving" but we're going out to eat instead of eating at a friends house. $20 plus drinks and tip and the restaurant is okay but I will feel like a jerk for making some server and cook have to cook and serve me on this cold day. I also like leftovers so I've made my own. I am going to go hiking afterwards and maybe hang out with my cats. Most of family is doing stuff.

Our downstairs is getting refurbished, so we have no kitchen and are eating in my games room sitting on a bean bag and an X Rocker gaming chair. It's seriously freezing downstairs, there's dust everywhere and our gas consumption has shot through the roof because the thermostat is downstairs, so we've had to set the target temperature way down so it's not struggling to heat up an entire floor that's essentially open to the elements.

Fun times.

Tip well.

I did! $10 on a $20 meal. And the waitress was super great and deserved every penny.

Our downstairs is getting refurbished, so we have no kitchen and are eating in my games room sitting on a bean bag and an X Rocker gaming chair. It's seriously freezing downstairs, there's dust everywhere and our gas consumption has shot through the roof because the thermostat is downstairs, so we've had to set the target temperature way down so it's not struggling to heat up an entire floor that's essentially open to the elements.

Fun times.

Brrrrrrrrr!

I have to have a talk with my neighbors this evening. There was a plank in the fence separating our yards that fell, which was obnoxious, but was small enough that my dog couldn't slip through it. While we were away for thanksgiving, the plank next to it loosened, too, so this morning, my dog got over into their yard when I let him into my back yard before I went outside with him. I was able to get him back in okay, fortunately, but then a rabbit that lives under our shed bolted over there and my dog chased him over into their yard again. The really terrifying thing for me was that I then realizes that their fence has a similar gap in it on the other side of their yard, which opens into public space. The rabbit bolted through it and my dog really considered following it while I called to him desperately from my yard. I got him to come back over, but this is ridiculous.

I'll be stopping at Walmart or Lowe's to try to find something that I can use to temporarily cover the hole. I've used little metal garden separators before when other planks went down, but now that my dog knows he can get over there, I need something heavier to block the gap.

I should also say that this is their fence on their property with the fence planks going up on their side of the fence. They really don't take care of their fence at all and one entire section of the fence fell over at one point because they went super cheap on the construction of it back whenever they installed it and put in horrible posts. I've never really talked to my neighbors, either, other than bringing them mail that was mistakenly put in my mailbox, so I really hate that my first real time talking to them is going to be me complaining to them.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I live in such a transient state that neighbors usually don't talk, unless it's to complain to one another about something stupid.

I feel it's the opposite in my Grandma's neighborhood in NE Tucson. She's had the same neighbor since '84. I think the sun has preserved them because they basically sit outside in the sun with drinks and bitch about everything. Brenda has been a good woman to my Nan though. She comes over every morning to make sure Nan is able and up and writes her bills and helps her grocery shop. Although this year Nan went to Brenda's for Thanksgiving and Brenda's a vegetarian So Nan did not approve of the weird "turkey".

Guest El Chalupacabra

I like knowing my neighbors just well enough that they know and care if and when I'm getting burglarized.

Outside of that, meh.

Yeah, but it seems most people will just whip out their smart phone and video it and post to facebook, rather than actually call the police.

Or am I being too pessimistic?