Rebel Moon

Rogue 3

Anyone over in the US gone to see this? Limited theatrical release, so presume everyone is waiting for the Netflix drop on the 21st.

Seems to have got average reviews but critics don’t put me off as it sounds interesting and they seem to have a story fleshed out for the follow up films.

Hopefully will be worth a watch.

I'm going to watch it today, on Netflix.

Here's the true Hollywood story for this-- Snyder meets with Lucasfilm and says "I want to make a Star War." Disney says NO WAY. Why? Possible reasons: SW already has toxic fans, adding the Snyder cult into the mix might drive away every last SW fan that isn't a bro. Snyder has a very dominate style that is very not SW. To remain true to itself, the cinematography and visual language of SW is still very stuck in a old school style-- Abrams and Johnson pushed it with the ST by using a lot of interesting color choices and things like inserts, close-ups, and dynamic camera movement-- but it's still pretty neutral. 

Whatever the reason, Lucasfilm tells Snyder NO, and he says "Okay, I'm going to do it anyway." Netflix, always wanting franchise power, says "We're in."

Honestly, when I look at the trailer, it reminds me of nightly in 1999. Having just seen TPM and had my heart broken, and also having just seen the Matrix (which was obviously the birth of style still ripped off to today), I recall a thread called "what if SW debuted NOW." And we all assumed Jedi would be wearing shiny black jumpsuits and doing bullet time kung-fu, that all the production design would lift from high concept sci-fi shooter video games and anime, and that it would of course be "grim-dark."

This is exactly what Rebel Moon is giving! I've also seen people calling it Bro-wars, which cracks me up. I looked at the response to an ad on Twitter for it, and it was a three way fight between a bunch of Snyder-bros, a host of old white dudes saying "it better not be woke," and confused regular folk saying "Is this Star Wars?"

I hope to watch this at some point, but I am so hopelessly behind on shows and movies that it could be awhile.  

I have liked many of Snyder’s movies for what they are, which are typically flawed films that feature some really cool moments and a visually interesting look, so I am sure this will scratch that itch when I want to watch something pretty that I don’t want to get into too much.

Him trying his take on something like Star Wars is at least intriguing to me, too. However, I am also damn tired of hearing arguments about his movies all over the place.

5 hours ago, Hobbes said:

This movie looks really bad and I am a big Snyder fan (I am the person that loves his DC work). 

Something I thought of in the trailer, but I hate people fighting mythological type animals in sci-fi films.  

People riding some sort of creature is in every Star War there is, and it is always the worst special effects in said given film. The only time, ONLY time it seemed justified was on Hoth, when the speeders couldn't adapt to the cold. Any other time, why would you ride a critter when spaceships and speeders are as common as cars?

On 12/20/2023 at 10:48 PM, Tank said:

People riding some sort of creature is in every Star War there is, and it is always the worst special effects in said given film. The only time, ONLY time it seemed justified was on Hoth, when the speeders couldn't adapt to the cold. Any other time, why would you ride a critter when spaceships and speeders are as common as cars?

Yeah, I mean no one rides horses in our time when cars are available. 

5 hours ago, The Choc said:

Yeah, I mean no one rides horses in our time when cars are available. 

Oh please. No one rides a horse now in a professional or daily travel capacity. It's recreational or competitive. You're doing that thing where you pretend to be way dumber than you are to start an argument. I'm just saying, if you got spaceships and hoverbikes, you don't need to ride a giant lizard.

4 hours ago, captainbleh said:

I had a small hope that it might so-bad-its-good bad, even though that's unlikely from Snyder

I was at least expecting some cool visuals and action scenes since that's his bread and butter-- but it's so over-processed and effected it looks muddy and out of focus 85% of the time.

Ahhh. Well that was not quite what I was hoping for.

I quite liked the opening 20 mins or so, then it turned into a Dirty Dozen style recruitment where each character has 5 mins of focus, then next to nothing for the rest of the film. Felt like a lot was cut on characterisation as the ending made it feel like you knew these people better?

I agree that there was a lot of stuff out of focus. Most notable was when the girl and the robot were talking by the stream. Slow mo - jeez man. Enough.

The main lead wasn’t convincing either. Not drawn into any of the characters with the exception maybe of the robot. 

I’m sure I will watch part 2 in April still, but man that was disappointing.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Oh please. No one rides a horse now in a professional or daily travel capacity. It's recreational or competitive. You're doing that thing where you pretend to be way dumber than you are to start an argument. I'm just saying, if you got spaceships and hoverbikes, you don't need to ride a giant lizard.

Its overdone in Star Wars and other sci fi but there are people who use horses for reasons other than recreation. 

To be fair farmers and hunters use horses all the time, particularly in mountainous terrain.

Also rebel moon looks terrible. I've read some pretty funny user reviews. But the general consensus seems to be a 13 year old boy must've written it.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, Tank said:

Oh please. No one rides a horse now in a professional or daily travel capacity. It's recreational or competitive.

The closest grocery store to me has a hitching post that I’ve actually seen get used.  Of course, a lot of the roads just out of the city still are called farm-to-market and I see folks who wear homemade clothes from out of town just about every week, so things may just be a bit different away from coastal cities.

Okay! Fine! Some people use horses!

But it still doesn’t explain, outside of Hoth, that storm troopers would use dewbacks, or why Obi-wan picked that whatever it was in ROTS!

In a universe where gravity isn’t a big issue riding animals is silly. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.