PLEASE share something bad

Darth Krawlie

My wife had to have emergency surgery and had to have 2 feet of her intestines removed.  She is in the hospital for another few days. 

My dog, Murray, is starting to have old dog problems...back hip keeps giving out, accidents in the house, etc.  He is mentally still very much in the game and doesn't appear to be in any real pain.  But in some ways, that makes things harder. 

Oh crap! Sorry to hear that about your wife.  I was terrified I’d have to have emergency surgery for my large intestine last spring and was so glad I was able to let things heal up for elective surgery. I had almost a foot of mine removed.   How is your wife doing with her recovery?

14 hours ago, RUAJedi2 said:

I was on top of Hawksbill Mountain taking some pics, turned around, there was a wet area from rain the night before, the rock was slippery, and I fell on my ass. Literally. Sort of tried to catch myself, and now have one bruised ass and one sprained wrist. Actual medical term: FOOSH (fall onto out-stretched hand).

10 hours ago, Hobbes said:

My wife had to have emergency surgery and had to have 2 feet of her intestines removed.  She is in the hospital for another few days. 

My dog, Murray, is starting to have old dog problems...back hip keeps giving out, accidents in the house, etc.  He is mentally still very much in the game and doesn't appear to be in any real pain.  But in some ways, that makes things harder. 

Hope she recovers quickly!

12 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

Oh crap! Sorry to hear that about your wife.  I was terrified I’d have to have emergency surgery for my large intestine last spring and was so glad I was able to let things heal up for elective surgery. I had almost a foot of mine removed.   How is your wife doing with her recovery?

Thanks.  I guess as well as you can (she has had IBS for decades causing her intestines to flair up and slowly shift around.  After decades, the intestines got tangled up).  This weekend is Oktoberfest at the local ski resort and a huge autumn art festival in downtown...she thought she would be able to attend those, but now she doesn't know what she is thinking--she will be in the hospital for a bit more.  I think they are taking the epidural out today which she is not excited about.

How long was your recovery?

7 hours ago, RUAJedi2 said:

Hope she recovers quickly!

Thanks!  I have been by myself with the boys for the last week.  It is crazy how quickly the three of us can degenerate into eating nothing but cereal and fast food when left alone.  We still have a few more days to go.

Oh man. Sending good healing juju. I had this surgery too but it was many years ago but not caused by its but ulcers. My total recovery was I guess three months but I am not in shape and it got worse afterwards in a way because I couldn’t lift more than ten pounds and the diet restrictions sucked. It’s rare I eat a greasy meal but I pay for it in a way later. Oddly I forgot I had it until recently when going through some old medical records. 

Ugh, that history with IBS sounds absolutely miserable to deal with. While emergency surgery is definitely not good, I hope this leads to a better standard of living for her with it done.  

The immediate aftermath of my surgery went pretty smoothly since it was planned and I am still on the very young and otherwise healthy side for having the sigmoidectomy.  I was up and walking around the next day and on solid food again after a few days.  I was expecting the return to a normal diet to take a far longer time than it did.  I had to stay in the hospital for six days after the surgery, though most of that was due to elevated creatinine in my blood work.  After the surgery, I was only on Tylenol, ibuprofen, and tramadol for pain, not even anything like morphine.  I’m sorry your wife had to have an epidural.

My surgery was laparoscopic, so the recovery has also been a bit easier in other ways.  They didn’t need to give me an ostomy bag. I needed to refrain from lifting and doing much pushing or pulling for 6 weeks.  The lifting part was the hardest since I couldn’t pick up my son.  I have now cleared that 6 week mark, so I can pick him up some now.  Most of my incisions from the surgery are healed now.  The only one that isn’t completely scarred over now is the bigger incision that they used to actually take out the part they removed.

I hope your wives recovery goes smoothly.  Hopefully, once this initial period of immediate recovery is done, it will be easier.

One of the Girl Trippers has died; this makes two of us gone. One of the Jersey Girls, Helen, died on Tuesday. We still have few details. They're having a service

in Jersey, two of the satellite Girl trippers from Erie will be there. The rest of us are going out to one of her favorite restaurants, then out to the beach where we stay in March.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, monkeygirl said:

One of the Girl Trippers has died; this makes two of us gone. One of the Jersey Girls, Helen, died on Tuesday. We still have few details. They're having a service

in Jersey, two of the satellite Girl trippers from Erie will be there. The rest of us are going out to one of her favorite restaurants, then out to the beach where we stay in March.

My Condolences, MG.  Sorry to hear it. 

Have a Kindergartner who said that their mom's pet pitbull attacked his older sister (a 4th grader at my school) and watched as mom's boyfriend beat the dog to death in front of the kids killing the dog.  The mom then dumped the boyfriend for killing her dog.  Meanwhile the 4th grader is hospitalized and required over 100 stitches.

50 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

Oh fucking Jesus, those poor kids

This is the same mom that told her kindergartner to beat up any kid that pushes him.  I was like, "kindergartners are pretty clumsy and run into each other a lot so its not on purpose".  Mom didn't care. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.