Cars

This is the first new car I have bought.  All used (but the latest) and all held up. 

My cars--all mileages are approximate:

1987 Mercury Cougar (1996-2000)--drove from 20K miles to 100K.  It started to fall apart but I was tough on that car.  Maybe changed the oil twice.

1997 Honda Accord (2000-2004)--40k-200k.  I literally drove this off a cliff in the mountains and commuted from Denver to Avon (a town deep in the mountains) 5x a week for almost a year.  Probably my favorite car ever.  It had a non-working car phone in it I thought it was sooooo cool.  Also had a 5 disc changer in the trunk--I hope you like Reel Big Fish, TuPac and Death Row's Greatest Hits. 

2000 Honda Civic (2005-2008)-40k-120K.  It was okay--probably my least favorite car.

2006 Honda Pilot (2008-2017)- 20k-250k.  I drove this car till the check engine light started flashing at me.  Did you know the check engine light will flash at you?

2014 Audi A4 (2017-still own)-30k-95k.  Love this car. 

2023 Jeep Gladiator (just bought) 7 miles-1k. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:15 PM, Hobbes said:

Why not the electric Wrangler (4xe)?

Okay, despite all the reasons I said no… just got a new 4xe wrangler hahaha.

I don’t love the downgrade to a four cylinder, but in full electric mode the acceleration is more than I had running out first gear in my previous Jeep. I’ll miss the manual transmission, but I won’t miss filling up on gas constantly.

It sounds like the gas mileage is roughly the same, but an overnight charge in full electric mode will easily cover my day to day driving.

Cost-wise, it didn’t cost me too much. $1700 to turn in the lease (I was over on mileage), $4k down, and a monthly payment that’s only $30 more a month than what I am used to paying (which less fill-ups will cover).

kept the payments down by doing a short term lease, only 2 years, which given the unstable nature of my industry, feels smarter.

Insurance increase is negligible. You can opt in or out of covering stuff like that, and I chose not to as I paid a little extra in the deal to cover any needed replacement of that stuff via the dealership.

And yes, did a lease— super short term. Only 2 years. Given how much my career has gone up and down over the last couple years I like a shorter commitment. 

17 hours ago, Tank said:

Okay, despite all the reasons I said no… just got a new 4xe wrangler hahaha.

I don’t love the downgrade to a four cylinder, but in full electric mode the acceleration is more than I had running out first gear in my previous Jeep. I’ll miss the manual transmission, but I won’t miss filling up on gas constantly.

It sounds like the gas mileage is roughly the same, but an overnight charge in full electric mode will easily cover my day to day driving.

Cost-wise, it didn’t cost me too much. $1700 to turn in the lease (I was over on mileage), $4k down, and a monthly payment that’s only $30 more a month than what I am used to paying (which less fill-ups will cover).

kept the payments down by doing a short term lease, only 2 years, which given the unstable nature of my industry, feels smarter.

Awesome!  I would have bought the 4xe, but I think it was Odine that made the good point about the lower towing capacity. 

You need to get this.  I LOVE mine.  I can open and close the top on the fly, while driving in seconds.

LONG STORY SHORT:  Well, The 'Goatman' finally found something that was in his budget.  I found a 2016 Wrangler 75th Anniversary Edition.  Picked it up 2 days ago.  I could be wrong but, trimwise, it falls somewhere between a Sahara and a Rubicon?

SHORT STORY LONG:  I test drove it almost a month ago.  The numbers never got to where I was comfortable, so I said 'no thanks' and walked away.  This past Monday, the car salesman texted me, asking if I had made a purchase yet.  I said no then he told me that the Jeep I drove was still there.  I asked if the price had dropped at all or if they could budge on the price and get me where I want it.  He said there was nothing he could do.  The very next day, I got an email notification that the price went down by $1,000.  When I clicked on it and went to the site, the price was an additional $1,400 off.

So I contacted the salesman, asked him if the price actually did drop by $2,400.  He confirmed it.  I asked him if they could get it where I wanted it.  He checked with the sales manager, he approved it.  All the paperwork was prepared and ready for me to sign when I got there.  After about one hour at the dealer, I drove her home!

I just spent 5K to get my car a new rack and pinion steering replacement and replace the head gasket and the 200,000 mile service. It's like a brand new car and NO DEBT. WOOT.

Although new car itch did settle in because I was given a loaner Corolla with a sun roof and all the bells and whistles and OMG like cars that connect to your phone?

13 hours ago, D-Ray Kenobi said:

Trading in my 2018 Model 3 for a brand new one next weekend.  Their CEO may be a gargantuan douchenozzle, but the other 99% of everyone in the company managed to make the best car I've ever had.

Arent they recalling a bunch of Teslas?  Was your old one included?

Basically some acronym soup regulative branch insisted that Tesla oversells the automated driving system (which they totally do), and they're being forced to tighten up the restrictions that they put on drivers.  The new software update will completely take away the feature for a week if it catches you not responding more than twice.

I've got the basic automated steering on mine and not the fancy stuff.  I've used it pretty often on clear highways and interstates or stop and go traffic, but I don't really trust it in other instances.

1 hour ago, Hobbes said:

For whatever reason, I can picture you as a jet ski guy. 

In the 24+ years I have been posting on this website, arguing politics, Star Wars, movies, video games, and even putting up with death threats from crazy former members, I have never been more offended than I am right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.