Cars

4 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

Sooo I've been reading reviews and I think I like the Ford Maverick. I need to test drive it and it's basically going to be a second car for me but it can tow up to 4000 pounds so it's perfect for a poptop camper kinda like the Scamp. I just hate the way Ford sets up their odometers and other stuff in the dash.

Hyundai has a Santa Cruz that is similar,  but I have also seen the Maverick and they look nice.   I think they are less expensive than the Santa Cruz too. 

It's based on the Bronco platform. Price wise I do like it better than the Santa Cruz and also the security risk with owning a Hyundai. Hyundai's and Kia's are quickly becoming the most stolen cars because of a security issue that comes basic with say a Toyota to disable a car if it's not turned on the correct way.

• 3 months later...

So I got my Jeep.  The one nice thing about it taking nearly six months to come is I got the discounted pricing as the new 2024 model just hit.  I actually paid 10% less the agreed upon price we had in April.

IMG_9476.jpg.6ebdaa04e4770a1068d0106c7f6e7f82.jpgIMG_9480.jpg.d4a031cc2095632b54539b65050f938d.jpg

I had the most first world problem ever.  Here in the summer when it is relatively hot (like mid-80s), it still gets in the 40s at night.  I don't mind it, but the boys complained about the cold driving to school/work in the morning.  Even though the hard top panels are easy to take off, it is still a hassle so I bought this easy flip top that I can open and close in seconds. 

IMG_9570.jpg.af4a04e828587245e61bdc68aa51dc14.jpg

As I get a bit older and my financial responsibilities for my kids shrink every year, I'm starting to shop around for a 'fun' car.  Thanks to my dad, I've become a Mustang guy.  He partially restored a '67 convertible before selling it.  I'm looking to get a GT around 2005 to 2014.  I liked that body style better than the more current, sleeker style.

But I've also been looking at getting a mid-90's Bronco or a late 90's, early 2000's Classic Jeep Cherokee.  There are so many good deals on all these cars in IN, OH, IL.  I just need to pay off my current car first.

18 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

As I get a bit older and my financial responsibilities for my kids shrinks every year, I'm starting to shop around for a 'fun' car.  Thanks to my dad, I've become a Mustang guy.  He partially restored a '67 convertible before selling it.  I'm looking to get a GT around 2005 to 2014.  I liked that body style better than the more current, sleeker style.

But I've also been looking at getting a mid-90's Bronco or a late 90's, early 2000's Classic Jeep Cherokee.  There are so many good deals on all these cars in IN, OH, IL.  I just need to pay off my current car first.

Lol—this Jeep (and soon camper) is called “two kids leaving preschool”.  But this is my daily driver.  

have you seen the new retro styled Broncos?  They are pretty sweet.  

11 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

I had never seen a Gladiator before this past spring. Our babysitter has one and since I saw hers, I started seeing Gladiatora all over the place here.

Yeah—it’s both good and bad that everyone notices them when they see them.  Pretty much every other truck kinda looks the same more or less.  

12 hours ago, Tank said:

Sahara. 4 door, with a grumpy face grill. Manual transmission 

Nice!  What kind of top is it?  Do you take it off much?

1 hour ago, Hobbes said:

Yeah—it’s both good and bad that everyone notices them when they see them.  Pretty much every other truck kinda looks the same more or less.  

That’s certainly true.  I’ll admit that I personally don’t particularly like the look of the Gladiator, but I also don’t like trucks, in general, either, nor am I a car guy at all really.

I had a civic first, and it did great for me until I had an accident in it, which resulted in the car sacrificing itself for me as it should.  Then I got an Altima, which I loved, for around 10 years.  I traded it in this past January for an Odyssey.  It was hard doing so at first since I that was a great car for me, but we needed more space with the little guy.  I now love driving the Odyssey, so now I am a van guy.

Anyway, even though I don’t like the look of the Gladiator, myself, I can definitely see the appeal of it with how it stands out from other trucks.

19 hours ago, Hobbes said:

So I got my Jeep.  The one nice thing about it taking nearly six months to come is I got the discounted pricing as the new 2024 model just hit.  I actually paid 10% less the agreed upon price we had in April.

IMG_9476.jpg.6ebdaa04e4770a1068d0106c7f6e7f82.jpgIMG_9480.jpg.d4a031cc2095632b54539b65050f938d.jpg

I had the most first world problem ever.  Here in the summer when it is relatively hot (like mid-80s), it still gets in the 40s at night.  I don't mind it, but the boys complained about the cold driving to school/work in the morning.  Even though the hard top panels are easy to take off, it is still a hassle so I bought this easy flip top that I can open and close in seconds. 

Sick ride bruv. Gonna be hard not to feel like a badass every day driving round in that thing. 

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Lol—this Jeep (and soon camper) is called “two kids leaving preschool”.  But this is my daily driver.  

have you seen the new retro styled Broncos?  They are pretty sweet.  

Nice!  What kind of top is it?  Do you take it off much?

Hard too, and it’s rare I take it off given that I hate heat and sun. Sometimes it’s fun in the summer evening to take it off.  Usually front panels as I don’t have the patience to do the back.

I'm currently driving my Dad's truck which has low miles on it (I inherited it),  and since I don't currently have car payments, I am saving up for the next few years to buy a vehicle.  Until recently, I had in mind getting a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar SUV with good mileage.  But lately I have been eyeing the new Ford Maverick.  Basically it is a mini truck, but seems to have a lot of room and a nice little bed. Plus they get good mileage, too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXCKqhW09MvWO2mU4UWbEbnmVSY9XQUB7BLMPD6VDQqjDNGxkd

They can tow up to 4000 lbs! Well for some packages. I want to get a small camper I can pull and travel when I retire and this pick up is perfect for that because it's also economical and easier to get in and out of.  I want one bad. They priced a build for me but it's crazy expensive so I'll probably get a base model or look for a used one. I like the looks better than the Tacoma and I'm a Toyota lover so that's hurtful to say for me. 

A lady and her husband I sometimes see at Ace Hardware are still raving about theirs a year later. I don't know why Ford isn't pushing these. The Ranger is a horrible looking truck.

Yeah I don't dig the Rangers either.  I drive a 2000 Ford F150 XLT and the Ranger is almost as big as my truck.   Just a tad more narrow, but I just don't like the look.  I know a lady who bought a Maverick and she loves the hell out of it.     

As for camping, I watched a news segment a while back that there is a rising trend where single women our age are increasingly buying small trailers and going on roadtrips. 

On 9/15/2023 at 4:35 PM, Hobbes said:

Not sure if I can handle the monthly payment but they're currently offering 10% off MSRP on the 2023 Gladiators, as well as whatever local dealer discounts are being applied.  I've read articles where people are saving almost $17K.  I might actually go test drive one in the next few days but like I said, I still may not be able to handle a steeper monthly payment.

My lease is up in October and I am loath to see what my options. I'd like to keep it and finance the remaining amount, but last time I tried that about a year ago, they said my credit rated a payment tier that made my payments higher. It was total BS because my credit was stellar. They just can't not try to get more money out of you.

They're going to find fees if I return it, they'll crank my payments if I want to buy, or, since after this strike I'm not in a position to give any sort of down payment, they'll get me into another lease for a new car with terrible terms.

They knocked about 6k off the amount we agreed to pay in April--which I have never heard of.  I ended up about 12k off msrp after that...but I also got it fully loaded and the highest trim level so there was probably a lot of fat.  If you get a sport or a Willy's there's probably less wiggle room.  I would say the Overland trim line is the biggest bang for the buck.   I can see how Gladiator's wouldn't be popular in non-outdoorsy areas.  They are essentially impractical in the city--so I can see how some dealerships would just have them sitting on their lots.  Also, there is very little difference between a 23 and a 24.  Actually, all Gladiator's are basically the same year-to-year, so I would look for one with lower miles but a few years older. 

Gladiator's are a total niche/ lifestyle purchase.  Because of the shorter bed and lower towing power (mine is 7700lbs which isn't terrible and is enough to tow a medium sized camper through the mountains), compared to other midsize trucks, they aren't particularly great at truck-type-things.  But if you want a super fun truck for your bike or outdoor gear (we bought the truck bc my wife complained about my ski gear stinking up the Rav4), you can't go wrong. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.