Need advice on adopting kittens

Zathras

HI all.  As some of you may have read, I lost my 17 year old kitty last Friday.   He had to be put to sleep due to end stage kidney disease.  Today, my brother (whose cat also recently passed away)  told me about a friend of his wife's who has 4 kittens for adoption.  The problem is that these kitties are too young to tell if they are male of female, due to the fact their testes (if any) have not dropped yet. I am down for adopting 2 of the cats, and my brother is down for the other two we don't adopt.  I am leaning towards the gray cats, while my brother leans towards the black cats.  I think it would be perfect because when either of us go out of town, we could drop our cats off at the other's place to watch them, and they might all get along being from the same litter.  The thing is My girlfriend is open to adopting, but has a strong preference for male cats for some reason. I personally don't care if they are male or female.  There is a strong possibility that if I adopt a cat, we can get the gender wrong.

So my question is how do I sell this to my GF?  Does anyone have any other helpful advice on that?

4489.thumb.jpeg.022de7d2a113c547e1151a623269e3e1.jpeg

I understand the love of male cats but after having MANY OF THEM I would say it's a win win either way. There is a rumor going around that girl cats tend to spray more and are more destructive but honestly it's a rumor as ALL my cats are extra extra extra destructive. Just neuter EARLY and it's not a problem with spraying.  Two kittens together is the best option because they can focus on each other for play and learn that biting and scratching hurts so when they play with you it's not as hurtful because they don't know what it feels like to be bitten or scratched and you biting back is maybe not the same learning lesson. LOL

I am down to five indoor and three outdoor cats now. 

I also whole heartedly endorse adopting more babies after the passing of a cat. I put up a bird feeder outside a window and they watch bird tv all day and my sisters cat has been extra demandy of treatohs.

You can (and should) get them fixed pretty soon after you get them. That tends to eliminate the gender-assovciated behaviors. I had a dude cat and a lady cat and they are equally destructive jerks. It depends WAY more on breed and disposition. 

I had a dude cat when I when I was child through to teen-ager/adult. His name was Luciano. Was a ball of muscle. Part Burmese, and absolute specimen. When we moved house about 5 miles away, he disappeared out the cat flap one morning. Days went by without him coming home. We heard rumours from our old neighbours that they saw a cat that looked a lot like him cruising round the old streets. A week went by and we were thinking we might have to accept the fact he'd been hit by a car or something. At the end of the second week, he just came wandering back in through the cat flap, a few more battle scars on his nose and ear, and he had lost a little weight. He just gave his typical deep meow and went and sat by the cat bowl like nothing happened. It was like Christmas having him back.  Absolute legend. He lived 22 human years. 

I still miss him.  Fuck. 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:18 PM, Tank said:

You can (and should) get them fixed pretty soon after you get them. That tends to eliminate the gender-assovciated behaviors. I had a dude cat and a lady cat and they are equally destructive jerks. It depends WAY more on breed and disposition. 

I plan to do that as soon as the vet clears them.  

6 hours ago, Odine said:

I had a dude cat when I when I was child through to teen-ager/adult. His name was Luciano. Was a ball of muscle. Part Burmese, and absolute specimen. When we moved house about 5 miles away, he disappeared out the cat flap one morning. Days went by without him coming home. We heard rumours from our old neighbours that they saw a cat that looked a lot like him cruising round the old streets. A week went by and we were thinking we might have to accept the fact he'd been hit by a car or something. At the end of the second week, he just came wandering back in through the cat flap, a few more battle scars on his nose and ear, and he had lost a little weight. He just gave his typical deep meow and went and sat by the cat bowl like nothing happened. It was like Christmas having him back.  Absolute legend. He lived 22 human years. 

I still miss him.  Fuck. 

22 years!  Wow!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 3:54 PM, monkeygirl said:

I like boycats better than girlcats. They just seem to be more chill to me. Girls can get pissy about so many things.

Boy cats fuck shit up though. Local birds beware. 

Except for owls. Owls will murder your cat.  I was listening to a conservationist wildlife ranger guy who was saying unless you find the body of your missing cat, an Owl probably got it not a car. (Unless you live in a dense city obviously). He personally discovered over 30 cat collars in the nest of one Owl family alone. Think he was in Texas.

The cat I took in may have been an almost owl victim. He is a big cat and was probably more than a flying owl could handle. He had two chest puncture wounds and we later discovered another wound in his leg that abscessed. No more outdoor living for Bubby. He is adjusting to living with my cats now. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.