The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

I've had to work in warehouse environments at least twice per week, for the last 3 weeks. Today, I had a co-worker up on a lift running a couple of ethernet cables in the ware house. It was damned hot out there today. I think it was around 104 and the heat was staring to creep into the warehouse. I decided to help the young guy out and did some of the legwork on the lift for a couple of 30 minute sessions. I ran through 2 bottles of Gatorade and couldn't wait to get home to shower. The real kicker was that this place was making insulation. The dust everywhere was filled with fiberglass. It's the worst!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ms. Spam said:

school starts next week on Monday. WTF do we like sitting in air conditioned spaces that are not our house?

Wow--I am amazed I keep hearing school is starting earlier every year!  Our teachers come back the 14th and students the 22nd.

• 1 month later...

Oh how I hate my job.  Had a fellow tech who was hired in April quit.  We had a campus-wide power outage happen at the same time.  This coworker phoned in his work and did a shtty job for the last 2 months.  Now we are getting tickets on top of tickets because:

1. power outage fried a bunch of PCs

2. we are now shorthanded...just 2 of us for the who campus!

3.  the guy who quit created more work for us by doing a shitty job.  I suspect he did it on purpose because he knew he was quitting and he was a dick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am super anxious about work. I got invited to apply for a position that is my career goal, and now it feels like some people have decided to block me because my rival was also invited and they clearly favor him and want to make sure I don't jeopardize his chances. I should know by tomorrow, but this has been absolute hell the last few weeks trying to jump through all the hoops they're trying to put in my way. I have a lot of supporters who have absolutely had my back (including my own family), but they aren't the decision makers. My boss's boss has threatened to nominate me without their blessing, we will see if he follows through on it.

• 1 month later...

I have been asked to travel to a South American country for a work trip in January. We recently opened a branch there because cost of living is dirt cheap and I'm sure they are cheaper than US labor. This country also has a new visa requirement that begins shortly before my arrival, so now I have to scramble to apply for that. First they asked me to come for a week. 2 days later it turned into 3 weeks and I said hell no. Then they agreed they only need me for 3 days. So then I looked into travel arrangements. Originally they wanted me there Monday. This happens to be my birthday. I get it, I'm an adult, not a kid, but I would definitely rather spend that day with different people. So then I looked into how to get there by Monday and it turns out I have to leave Saturday at noon to be there by Sunday early morning. It takes 16-20 hours to get there, even with a reasonable layover. Now they don't need me there until Tuesday. So I could spend Monday there, arriving super early, and not be traveling on an airplane on my birthday. But my company also will not pay me for my time to fly Sunday, only Saturday. It's a old Boomer company policy that pisses me off because nowadays they expect you to be some place Monday morning instead of giving you Monday to travel. I hate the idea of leaving Saturday but if I left Monday, I wouldn't arrive until 5:30 Tuesday morning and I would have to go straight into the office (which is also an hour from the airport). I think the answer is leave Saturday and go into the office on Monday, but I am pretty annoyed about losing an entire weekend.

The only bright side is I will be done Thursday afternoon and I will get on a flight back and just sleep in business class, and be back home Friday early afternoon, so I can spend the weekend with family.

I should be more excited about going to a foreign country, but I don't speak a lick of the local language. If this was Europe, I'd be a lot more game. Or, you know, if I spoke Portuguese or even Spanish so I could struggle along. 

Got out of going lol. Finally someone looked at all the people going on this boondoggle and said having me there for a work statement planning session was a waste of my time. That's right!

My rival also told then I wasn't necessary when they said I would be much more useful the week before for the strategy session. I think management may have actually noticed that little slight but they said fine then because I think they were trying to cut the list of people going anyway.

But still going to finish my Hepatitis B shots (it is only 2, fortunately). I'll wait on yellow fever and typhoid. They said they might send me later in the year.

Haven't been here in years, this seemed like a good place to update where things are at these days for anyone who doesn't do Zuckerbook.

Last month marked my five year anniversary working at NASA.  Technically I'm a contractor, but my center is a fairly chill laid back one where there's barely any real difference between that and a civil servant.  I finally moved from internal comms and project management to public facing comms with the uncrewed craft department this last summer.  The big project in 2024 is going to be the Europa Clipper, it's a ton of fun amusing and bewildering kids and big kids alike with the possibility of weird purple alien sharks underneath the icy crust there.  There's of course a fair degree of government bureaucracy, but it's tolerable and the rest of the job is a blast.

I travel a ton with the new gig.  Enough that it's a ton of fun, but not so much that I'm gone from home too long.  I'll be in NYC and DC right after New Year's, anyone feel free to hit me up if you'd like to hang.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be looking for a new job this year. I'm not terribly satisfied with the job as it is or with my crazy boss's weird demands, but I'm willing to deal because the flexible schedule allows me to work at home when Luke is out of school but Noah isn't or when I want to go out of town or anything like that. 

But the real estate market is going through a thing and it looks like we won't be building many houses this year. Without that, there isn't much for me to do. My boss isn't really focused on building a business, which is something I would be willing to stay on for. He's just focused on making money. Most of that money goes directly into his IRA or his friends' and family's IRAs, so it's not like the company is profiting. And I pretty much AM the whole company. So yeah. 

On 12/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Have you thought about getting your license or working in escrow? I think you'd be awesome at it.

Every time I find myself job hunting I tell myself to just go into escrow at a title company and work my way up. And then I don't. I should probably listen to myself. And you. 

You have good attention to detail and you're good at cranking out tasks. You'd be perfect for escrow or mortgage work. Or everyone else will make you nuts lol. I've had friends work in the mortgage market, though, and they kept getting laid off so not sure I'd recommend that side of the house with mortgage rates being so high right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.