This is absolutely brilliant!

Gamevet

• Gamevet changed the title to This is absolutely brilliant!

I see these on my TikTok feed and they are pretty cool!  However, I get the same feelings from AI as I do from knock off media like this.  Some of it might be interesting, fun, or even good (like this).  But at the end of the day there is a hollowness to it. 

Similarly, I recently learned of the new Netflix accent in which every syllable is pronounced so clear, there is no trace of an accent.  I was finally able to understand why those campy Hallmark Christmas movies bother me.  They are meant to be silly with generic characters, but because the characters are too perfect and (usually) do not have an accent that makes it hard for me not to not notice (kind of like in a movie set in the past where the teeth are pearly white--I can't stop looking at it).

4 hours ago, CoLA said:

Can you imagine the movies people will be able to make with AI in 5 or 10 years as the software gets better? It's gonna be crazy!

yes and no. do I like the idea of being able to make a movie on my own at home? kinda. Do I like the idea of a hundred million bros making R-rated versions of Star Wars and jamming the internets up with endless terrible content? no. 

Am I a film classist? Probably.

I'm with Hobbes in that I don't truly thing AI will ever be able to make anything GOOD on its own. It will always require human input for true creativity because it isn't true AI, it's machine learning collation based upon available models, meaning it's always going to be stealing from something a human made. Last year's writer's strike had as fighting the studios about not being allowed to replace writers with AI. We had a victory there, but the studios are doing it anyway. 

The problem is when the studios and the masses stop caring about innovation and originality and just want Star Wars for the billionth time, (but now as Steampunk!) it leaves working class people in the film industry out of a job.

I can likely see myself using these tools to make a proof of concept for a movie to then present to others, but nothing will beat making an actual movies with real actors and artisans.

Isn't this the real Turing test?  An AI creating a piece of good, original art (that isn't dependent on another artists song or voice or movie script or whatever) that fools 99% of the population it was made by a human?

Not to derail an entertainment thread, but my neighbour just used chat GPT to draft a business to business legal contract, with some particular a nieche clauses and such that his regular lawyers were going to charge him £400 to do. Just to copy paste his name onto a document that they'd have pre prepared minus a few particulars. 

First we were worried for the arts , but I think we're safe for a variety of reasons. But maaaaaan there is an ai storm coming for legal and beaurocatic institutions and jobs. White collar upper middle class gonna be stressing

All I know is in 1984 Kyle Reese told Sara Connor that the T-800's were surrounded by living tissue complete with sweat, bad breath, everything that made it impossible to differentiate from humans. Sara said they don't make things like that yet. Kyle said not for another 40 years. So here we are. 

4 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Isn't this the real Turing test?  An AI creating a piece of good, original art (that isn't dependent on another artists song or voice or movie script or whatever) that fools 99% of the population it was made by a human?

I follow this account on IG where a guy does a whole “AI fooling boomers” rating scale. He’ll find obvious AI stuff then quote the boomers responding to it thinking it is real.

1 hour ago, Odine said:

Not to derail an entertainment thread, but my neighbour just used chat GPT to draft a business to business legal contract, with some particular a nieche clauses and such that his regular lawyers were going to charge him £400 to do. Just to copy paste his name onto a document that they'd have pre prepared minus a few particulars. 

First we were worried for the arts , but I think we're safe for a variety of reasons. But maaaaaan there is an ai storm coming for legal and beaurocatic institutions and jobs. White collar upper middle class gonna be stressing

MagicSchool is an AI software that is just for education.  It is great as a massive time saver.  But what it doesn't really do anything I can't do myself--it is just a massive time saver and makes me more efficient.  It is great for writing a job description or anything technical, but when I have it write the newsletter I have to go back and edit it into my voice. 

9 hours ago, Tank said:

I follow this account on IG where a guy does a whole “AI fooling boomers” rating scale. He’ll find obvious AI stuff then quote the boomers responding to it thinking it is real.

“Did you see what he said?” What’s sad is I’ve seen this done with politicians. My parents, in-laws and other older adults are easily fooled into thinking it’s real.

It’s terrifying. AI will now become the catchall scapegoat. Anybody sees news footage that doest’t fit their rhetoric, it’s AI. It’ll be like the “fake news” war cry but worse.

Well shit. We have commercials for phones that advertise all these amazing photo editing features included, which to me is just faking reality. If you can change the weather, backgrounds, eliminate people, move things around on the photo, you’re not just making your picture cleaner, you’re faking shit. It’s no longer a photo of a moment in time. With the way memory works it won’t be long before we take that edited photo and convince ourselves that’s what really happened. Really is meaningless and AI isn’t helping.

I watched a video about black and white photos having the negatives drawn on with pencils, to conceal wrinkles and dark spots. Now we have the magic of software to change everything.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:38 AM, Darth Krawlie said:

Well shit. We have commercials for phones that advertise all these amazing photo editing features included, which to me is just faking reality. If you can change the weather, backgrounds, eliminate people, move things around on the photo, you’re not just making your picture cleaner, you’re faking shit. It’s no longer a photo of a moment in time. With the way memory works it won’t be long before we take that edited photo and convince ourselves that’s what really happened. Really is meaningless and AI isn’t helping.

I  thought the same when I saw those phone promos. The point of a picture, like a video, is to catch a moment in time. The background is part of that moment and sometimes produces some gems. If you are going to edit all that stuff, then the photo becomes pointless. 

On 4/24/2024 at 5:38 AM, Darth Krawlie said:

I wonder if using AI to create perfect pictures will flip--society will start rejecting and shaming those that do it. 

Some will, some won't. There's always going to be idiot people. I'm not sure when it started, but I hardly ever take pictures anymore when I'm doing out of the ordinary stuff. Maybe a few, but the days of being behind my phone trying to preserve a moment instead of being in the moment have stopped.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.