This is absolutely brilliant!

Gamevet

2 hours ago, Tank said:

Some will, some won't. There's always going to be idiot people. I'm not sure when it started, but I hardly ever take pictures anymore when I'm doing out of the ordinary stuff. Maybe a few, but the days of being behind my phone trying to preserve a moment instead of being in the moment have stopped.

Totally this!  I used to video concerts I would go to, but I got tired of watching the concert through my phone instead of just enjoying myself at the concert!  Besides, I never rewatched those videos, anyway. 

On the one hand, little clips like the ones in this thread are definitely amusing and interesting, but these deep learning-based methods that are all falsely marketed as AI are hugely concerning.  Seth certainly knows about the issues with entertainment and many of you have brought up social media issues, too.  

I see them in research, with many organizations and researchers, including some federal funding agencies, really going all in on these methods being used for everything.  Some of the uses are fantastic, such as helping to solve optimization problems at a fraction of the computational cost once the network architectures are built and the resulting models trained, but so many researchers just want to throw tons of data into these things to get results.   While the models often perform extremely well, the machines are the only thing learning, not the researchers. We get results, but can’t speak to their reliability and often how well they generalize to the broader population the data comes from.  To me, it goes heavily against the principles of scientific methods, including the criticism principle of parsimony, finding the simplest explanations/models for understanding the world around us.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.