Anyone still read books?

Cerina

And by reading, I also mean listening to audiobooks. 

I "rediscovered" books this year, and I can't believe how much I've missed reading for my own enjoyment. The last 10ish years I've only really read books for work, parenting, or general self-improvement or reading books to the kids. I've read A LOT of this stuff in the past decade, but not too many adult books. 

So for 2024 I'm making it a goal to read 60 books. I did 37 from June to now, so this is very doable for me. I spend about 4-5 hours alone in a car each week, so that helps a lot. 

I'm doing this challenge. And in doing so, I also have a goal to pair 6 fiction novels with a non-fiction book about a topic or theme from the novel and also to read one career/productivity and one health/wellness focused book a quarter. These extra goals can also satisfy the goals from the 52 Book Challenge, so I'm not crazy. 

Anyway, I'm on Goodreads. Add me on there. 

Anyone else have a reading goal for the year? Or anyone have any good book recs for the challenge or otherwise?

Every now and again ill read something. I know I should read more. I used to read a lot, but since games have been getting better and better I've found them to be my favourite way to consume narrative. I listen to a lot of podcasts so consume a lot of non fiction in that way. 

Defo - usually have a book on the go and have a read when the wife puts some reality nonsense on the box!

Various on the shelf, but I do always drift back to a re-read of “The First 15 Lives of Harry August” which is just a great read.

Series I am currently reading is Awaken Online - no highbrow stuff here, just quite a fun series in the style of Ready Player One, but where the lead is playing a dark character in the online world. 

On 12/30/2023 at 6:55 PM, Tank said:

Saw your FB post-- totally forgot during covid I was going to send you that weird punk King Arthur book. Shoot me your address!

I forgot as well. I'll PM you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I only read scifi and non-fiction. 

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy-(actually called the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy but everyone just calls it TBP).  Might be the best sci fi trilogy ever.  It is coming to Netflix soon.

17 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I only read scifi and non-fiction. 

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy-(actually called the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy but everyone just calls it TBP).  Might be the best sci fi trilogy ever.  It is coming to Netflix soon.

Thanks for the tip! Ordered the first book, so will hopefully find some time to get my reading hat back on!

• 3 weeks later...

I think I should change my goal. I'm at 12 books so far this year, and I have 2 more that will be finished probably before Thursday. 

The list so far in no particular order:

Fourth Wing
Iron Flame
The Thursday Murder Club
The Man Who Died Twice
The Housemaid
Wrong Place Wrong Time
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder
The PARA Method
Veronica Ruiz Breaks the Bank
Murder on the Orient Express
The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches
Legends & Lattes 

Almost finished with:

Everyone on this Train is a Suspect
A Court of Thorns & Roses

• 1 month later...

I’m reading this book right now for research, but it’s pretty cool and I’m shocked it’s not more famous or was ever adapted into a movie.

It’s Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore. It basically does for werewolves what Dracula did for vampires. Published in the 1930s, it’s not the first werewolf story ever published, but it pre-dates the first werewolf movies, and clearly served as some inspiration. It’s sort of the blueprint for all werewolf tropes in modern pop culture. 

Like Dracula it took bits of mythology from around the world, combined it with a historical figure of sorts, and turned it into a horror story with a fair amount of gore, violence, incest, other fun stuff. It’s only recently back in print, so if you’re a werewolf nerd, grab it.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:44 AM, Odine said:

Just came here to say the title of this thread always makes me LOL. 

Like, anyone here remember how to read?? 

Go on social media for a bit and you'll find yourself asking this question.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.