How about second impeachment, Mr T****?

Ms. Spam

26 minutes ago, Ms. Spam said:

And yet there are still some imbeciles voting NAY. 

Surprise!  They were all republican.  Hopefully the Senate will have enough votes to convict, but that will require at least 17 republicans breaking ranks.  They definitely wouldn't convict now, but after GA senators are confirmed, the Dems will control the Senate, so there is a better chance.  If the GOP is smart, they will vote for conviction, which will help get the stink of Trump off them.  But, then again, I doubt the republicans are smart enough to do that.

Did I read that McConnell is now in favor of impeachment? Everything is all jumbled together lately. 

The thing about the senate is that they're more long-term politicians. They're playing a long power game and less likely to remain attached to a sinking ship. Trumpers have cost them money now, and they have the future of their party to consider. 

4 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Did I read that McConnell is now in favor of impeachment? Everything is all jumbled together lately. 

The thing about the senate is that they're more long-term politicians. They're playing a long power game and less likely to remain attached to a sinking ship. Trumpers have cost them money now, and they have the future of their party to consider. 

I will believe him voting to convict when I see it.

3 minutes ago, Odine said:

So, provided the senate vote to convict for "incitement of insurrection" what kind of sentance would that carry? Tell me prison time is on the cards. Make my day.

The Senate has the power to impose the sentence.  IF convicted, at the very least he will likely be barred from holding public office, and may lose former-presidential perks, including pension.  If they do that at least, I will be happy.  I'd love to see him frog-marched off to prison, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the chances are pretty remote.  But there are always charges that may be brought in NY (taxes) and in Washington DC (they can charge him locally, though I will believe it when I see it).

Madison Cawthorn [R, NC-11], America's future President For Life, got his chance to make his case for a minute today and said this : "Madam Speaker, today represents a unique opportunity in history. An opportunity to put America first. To put her people first. Today is a moment for members of Congress to put aside politicking and to place people over power. I urge my colleagues to vote against this divisive impeachment and realize that dividing America will not save this republic. I urge my colleagues to not simply vote for what feels good. Of course, it feels good for the Democrats to have a united constituency for a few more days. But, I was elected to come here and vote for things that actually do good. To bring much needed help to the American people. I am willing to take the first step and extend my hand across the aisle to say, 'Vote against impeachment. Vote in favor of a unified nation and I will forsake partisanship and work with you no matter who you are or what party you come from.' Madam Speaker, I urge that we all vote to finally put America first. And with that I yield back."

21 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Mitch is said to privately be happy about the impeachment, and allegedly told his fellow Republican Senators that he hasn’t decided how he will vote yet. A big difference from a year ago. But Mitch isn’t going to take a moral stand. If he votes to convict, it will be because he knows there are enough votes to convict.

25 minutes ago, Tank said:

Mitch is actually the worst person on the planet. I think he's actually worse than Trump. He will always do what is best for own interests. 

I agree wholeheartedly, but I am hoping that this is a situation where his interests align with the country 

I don’t think Trump has any thought that he’s part of the gang.

He’s the leader, and he’s held the power for a long time. And he likely will continue. If he isn’t convicted and barred from public office, he will run again. Even if he is barred, he’s going to keep up his constant campaigning and he’s going to support primary challenges for anyone who is against him.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Tank said:

I saw somebody joke on Twitter that his lawyers came off like a kid doing an oral book report in high school who clearly didn't do their work and starts their report with SO WHAT IS A BOOK?

Pretty much. That's actually a very good analogy. At one point (and I'm sure this is going to make the rounds as a soundbite soon), this guy actually said aloud that the house impeachment managers did a great job laying out their argument, and they weren't prepared for that. He also admitted that Trump lost and suggested that we should just arrest and convict Trump in criminal court if we want accountability. If Trump still had Twitter, this guy would have been fired mid-speech. 

The arguments don't matter.

At most 6 Republicans will vote for conviction, which isn't enough

It doesn't matter if they had video evidence of trump directly saying "go to the capitol, take it over, kill any democrats you see, shit on the constitution. I'm telling you to do this." They still won't vote for conviction. We all know this.

It's still the right thing to go through the process, but we all know what the result will be.

Yep. If Trump was going to testify and he admitted in public that he was privately giving orders to people to murder Republican Senators, they would still vote to acquit.

13 hours ago, Tank said:

I saw somebody joke on Twitter that his lawyers came off like a kid doing an oral book report in high school who clearly didn't do their work and starts their report with SO WHAT IS A BOOK?

San Dimas High School Football RULES!!!!

So, I've been semi watching these impeachment hearings.  The case presented by the prosecution was a tight, well constructed, and convincing argument.  

Today, Trump's defense team.  Ten minutes in,  we get the whataboutism argument of "Well, Clinton did it, too," and "Free speech." Followed up by "what about the riots over the summer" and  "Poor old Trump is a victim, why you guys gotta be so mean!?"  Not that I expected much else from Trump, but what a baby-like argument. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.