Cars

3 hours ago, Hobbes said:

What is your credit rating---like 7?

My new truck is fully loaded at the top trim line and was 70k MSRP--60K with comps and 50K after trade in.

I'm still scratching my head at the fact it was $79,000 for a Maverick.

Here it says a Lariat starts at  about $35K, MSRP.  Did you typo Spammy, or am I crazy?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/models/maverick-lariat/

I have a pretty good rating but it was a Ford Dealership so it was actually a shitty deal and my interest rate was like 5% stretched out to payments over 8 years. I guess the biggest thing is I am a teacher so I don't make much on paper. I could have put more down but was like being a dick I guess with the salesmen because he kept pushing me towards more higher end trucks. They're still trying to get me to come back and try maybe a bigger truck. I want something that can pull a camper like a pop up one but is still small enough I can get in and out of it. I don't want to step up to get inside the truck and I like the Mavericks gas mileage. I'll keep hunting for the right one. It's out there somewhere. LOL My current car runs fine so I'll keep on using it. 

5 hours ago, Zathras said:

I'm still scratching my head at the fact it was $79,000 for a Maverick.

Here it says a Lariat starts at  about $35K, MSRP.  Did you typo Spammy, or am I crazy?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/models/maverick-lariat/

I may have made a typo LOL. It was high up there though. I didn't take the paperwork they give you breaking down the stuff you pay in the end like full total for financed. I was very up front with the salesmen telling them I wanted a basic truck which could pull a small camper and gets good gas mileage. 

We got the F150 with the intent to haul a midsize RV and of course now we are rethinking it lol. I do have to step up to get into it but there are running boards so it's not bad (honestly might be easier than getting into my old Toyota Highlander). Are you actually going to use the pickup bed? I mean some of the SUVs have pretty good towing capacity and generally get better gas mileage. Admittedly right now we mostly treat ours like a big SUV. It is nice to have a roomy car again. I love my car for a daily driver and for skiing but it's way too small when all 4 of us are in it. We love the truck for road trips but man that gas mileage sucks.

My retirement dreams consist of me wanting to take the cats to states I haven't been in before. I love the way the Maverick is for storage and prefer it to an SUV. If I do get an SUV it's probably going to be a RAV4. I really wanted to keep the Prius I drive now as a commuter for work so I may look leasing to see how much I like owning a truck. The Maverick can come with AWD which is handy.

When I go to the Padre Island National Seashore I love seeing all these people parked close to the dunes with their campers and just relaxing in the breeze and fishing. Honestly I'd stay in a hotel when I get older but it's nice to have that private area to retreat to plus cats.

How far do you commute to work?

For us it's RV vs vacation home. Can't do both. We started talking about retirement and my husband thinks he wants to travel like his mom always said she would. I told him we need to massively downsize once the kids are at college and find a crash pad type place (hence the vacation home idea), or go full ex-pat and see if our company will transfer us to Europe the last few years before we retire and we just stay there and fly back to the US a few times a year to see the kids and their families (or heck they can come with, the US ain't that great). His mom moved to Florida intending to travel to Europe all the time, but instead dumped all of her money into her house, which is a shit ton of upkeep because it's way too big for her, got a bunch of pets that require boarding when she travels, and keeps having to put up hurricane shutters. So I think your RV idea sounds like a good one! Retire right.

It is about 15 minutes to work now that construction is done. Even less today because no traffic thanks to non-Columbus day. LOL

A friend of mine recently got transferred to Sweden and loves it. He's a former Seattle-ite and worked in tech as a senior vp. His kids love the schools and his wife loves the weather and cost of living including medical care.

On 10/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, Ms. Spam said:

It was a fully loaded Lariat version with leather seats. Final paperwork had me borrowing 79k for a Maverick with about 15k in trade in and cash already applied. I like a sweet ride but I am cheap as hell too. 

That's crazy! My wife's 2009 Jeep Liberty Limited (got it in 2010) was barely $30K and it was loaded. Heated leather seats, 6 disc CD player, Blu-tooth, MP3, the works. You can't get anything decent for that price now.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:58 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

How far do you commute to work?

For us it's RV vs vacation home. Can't do both. We started talking about retirement and my husband thinks he wants to travel like his mom always said she would. I told him we need to massively downsize once the kids are at college and find a crash pad type place (hence the vacation home idea), or go full ex-pat and see if our company will transfer us to Europe the last few years before we retire and we just stay there and fly back to the US a few times a year to see the kids and their families (or heck they can come with, the US ain't that great). His mom moved to Florida intending to travel to Europe all the time, but instead dumped all of her money into her house, which is a shit ton of upkeep because it's way too big for her, got a bunch of pets that require boarding when she travels, and keeps having to put up hurricane shutters. So I think your RV idea sounds like a good one! Retire right.

We are looking at buying an RV trailer.  We just rented one this weekend and went to Moab/ Arches National Park this weekend.  We loved it!

I have been doing a lot of research on RV's lately and the consensus is that most of them you see (JayCo, Starcraft, River Forest) are pretty much mass produced junk--pretty much anything you buy at Camping World or whatever.  We rented a Starcraft from Outdoorsy and the owner said he bought it in the spring for $40k and it was falling apart (two of the exterior storage doors didn't properly shut, the fridge wouldn't run with electric, you couldn't open the door more than halfway with the retractable awning out or it would scratch the door, and one of the stabilizers had to be strapped to the RV or would fall down while driving). 

A friend of a friend here bought a 150K Airstream and paid it off in 2 years by renting it out on Outdoorsy.  I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money, but with Outdoorsy it is tempting.  We are looking at brands like Happier Camper, Scramp, and Escape.

Are you thinking about a trailer or one you drive?

We've been thinking about a trailer that you tow, but yeah, my husband loves the Airstreams and the price tag gives me the heebie jeebies. I really think we should just rent a few times. I don't see us going every weekend so it seems like rent vs buy is the better option for an occasional trip. Or we'd end up renting it out all the time and then we'd have to deal with the wear and tear. People don't care of stuff, especially when it's not theirs. I've gotten to the point where I don't lend many things out because they've come back broken.

As much as I love my Jeep, looking into purchasing out my lease and seeing that gas prices don't seem to ever trend down anymore, I don't know if it is worth it to finance a vehicle that will be 8 years old when I pay it off. It's given me zero trouble (despite consumer reports listing Wranglers in their top ten least dependable), but the gas mileage is just horrendous. I don't have a commute, but I still have to go into town for meetings a lot.

I need to get something that gets better mileage. I wish I didn't hate how every car looks like a gaming mouse these days. Everything is so plastic over-styled. Every Lexus looks like a toy with a hipster cheese-grater for a grill. Remember when cars had fins and were the color of kitchen appliances? I don't, but I've seen pictures. Even though Jeeps are ubiquitous., at least they have an iconic look.

So I'm starting a search for end of year. $30-60k, gets good mileage, SUV would be nice, but I'd go back to coupe. I hate sedans. I'd prefer manual transmission, but hardly anyone makes them anymore. Nothing too mid-life crisis-y for the sake of insurance, and like I said, decent mileage.

I am LOATHE to admit it, but after years of some of the absolute worst design in car history, the new-model Prius looks kinda like a cool spaceship.

4 hours ago, Tank said:

As much as I love my Jeep, looking into purchasing out my lease and seeing that gas prices don't seem to ever trend down anymore, I don't know if it is worth it to finance a vehicle that will be 8 years old when I pay it off. It's given me zero trouble (despite consumer reports listing Wranglers in their top ten least dependable), but the gas mileage is just horrendous. I don't have a commute, but I still have to go into town for meetings a lot.

I need to get something that gets better mileage. I wish I didn't hate how every car looks like a gaming mouse these days. Everything is so plastic over-styled. Every Lexus looks like a toy with a hipster cheese-grater for a grill. Remember when cars had fins and were the color of kitchen appliances? I don't, but I've seen pictures. Even though Jeeps are ubiquitous., at least they have an iconic look.

So I'm starting a search for end of year. $30-60k, gets good mileage, SUV would be nice, but I'd go back to coupe. I hate sedans. I'd prefer manual transmission, but hardly anyone makes them anymore. Nothing too mid-life crisis-y for the sake of insurance, and like I said, decent mileage.

I am LOATHE to admit it, but after years of some of the absolute worst design in car history, the new-model Prius looks kinda like a cool spaceship.

Why not the electric Wrangler (4xe)?

On 10/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, Tank said:

It's stupid expensive. I've seen multiple blogs that have done various calculations that show its sticker price will cost you more than what you save in gas. In California at least. They are $75k.

CarMax has them in the mid $40s for higher trim levels including a 2023 Sahara for $52K--it is in Parker, CO so I can deliver it to you!  2024 base models start at 50K on the Jeep website.

They do-- I went home to Oregon once to buy a car and thought I was a genius, but after I registered it, they came knocking. They also get us with having small businesses. There's. reason Cali has the GDP of a small country. We're gouged left and right.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

They do-- I went home to Oregon once to buy a car and thought I was a genius, but after I registered it, they came knocking. They also get us with having small businesses. There's. reason Cali has the GDP of a small country. We're gouged left and right.

image.png.ff0529d2de32d99c2bb9f71081583a30.png

Hahah-- I kid of course, but I actually don't love used cars. I feel like every used car I ever had, which is basically every car I owned up until I was an adult, ended up being a money pit. The one except was when I inherited my mom's 97 Acura. That thing was indestructible. But ever other time, especially if it came from a dealership, it was a trap. There is nothing like the angst of car trouble when you are broke and don't know anything about cars.

Of course now I could afford maintenance and repairs, but the piece of mind of a new car provides is something legit for me. Stupid, but true.

Also, for those Jeep prices, I could be buying something new that was more economical.

I think the thing about used cars is you do have to be more careful. Why do I get rid of a car? Because it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth. My 2008 Highlander lasted almost 12 years. Not bad, but I got rid of it because I kept having expensive engine sensor repairs every 6 months (or possibly a cracked cylinder head). My husband's 2013 Volvo was more a victim of needing a bigger car, but it lasted 8 years. The biggest issue was we had developed a slow oil leak, and the touch door locks were always finicky. So the used Volvo was probably a good buy but the used Toyota not so much. We just bought a year old Ford F-150 and that was a great deal. Something less than 5 years old might be ok, but if someone is getting rid of an older car, it's probably because it's a junker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.