Lucas1138

I feel sorry for the guy who tried to consolidate all those theories about Arya. Well maybe just a little. I like to make predictions too and you live by the sword and die by the sword. I feel more sorry for the people who listened to him and bought in to some of the crap. I'm sorry if it spoiled the storyline for you.

What we actually got was actually better than any of those predictions. And it wasn't poor writing at all. Trust me. On the rewatch you will appreciate it more.

So what happened? Well we need some consolidation. Arya's journey was pre-destined. It dates back to Jaq'en giving her the bravosi coin. And the promise of three lives for one. When Arya sought Jaq'en's help she had to undergo a journey. One that would take her further than she was willing to go on her own. It was a trial to learn her identity and also to make her mistakes.

Arya had to become no-one before she could become Arya Stark. What she endured was to be the making of her and he tests she faced would tell her more about herself than anything else. Jaq'en is key. He is a magical character. Not just an assassin or religious freak. Magical. We start to see the when he is able to appear and mysteriously kill people during his life debt. We learn more when he starts to reveal his powers to Arya at the house of black and white. The man killed himself and ressurected himself before Arya's eyes. That wasn't slight of hand. He set Arya tasks but underneath those tasks were lessons she had to learn. Ask yourself... Was she really meant to kill the insurer? his life was not taken when it was demanded by the many faced God. Instead Arya killed Meryn Trant. Did Jaq'en know that confrontation would take place? Let's say he did for a moment. And Arya's test was her ability to kill someone from her list on her own. This moved her to the next level.

Then he took her sight. Was it a punishment? Or was it so she could learn how to be strong through suffering? When the waif sought her out to goad her and beat her up. Do you think she did that of her own volition or did Jaq'en send her? Let's not forget it was Jaq'en who came to bring her back. She would train some more in this state and Jaq'en promised to return her sight and send her home if only she would tell him her name. A promise I think he would have made good on. But this was another test of her commitment to her training. Only when he was sure did he return her sight and let her continue.

Then she was then tasked with killing the performer. Was this just a hired kill or another of Jaq'ens tests? Was her true mission to find the good in the Actor and uncover the conspiracy. Jaq'en didn't tell her she failed this test as they didn't see each other. The Waif was dispatched to kill her instead in her final test. Arya had to overcome the adversity of beating a better assassin. The final test that even Jaq'en didn't know she could overcome. He was concerned for her when he asked for her not to suffer. He wasn't sure she would survive this brutal lesson.

Arya is overconfident and careless. She had already made the decision to turn her back on the faceless men and reclaiming part of her old self. She was seen retrieving needle after making her choice. By finding the true evil in the younger actor she actually made the right choice by not taking the innocent life. If only she knew that as well.

So it comes to the final confrontation with the waif. Arya injured and seemingly helpless used her training whilst her sight was taken away to turn the tables on the waif. By turning her environment to her advantage she defeats her nemesis and graduates from killing college.

But this is all a stretch isn't it Stevil?

The final scene was telling. Jaq'en spying the blood looked worried whilst he investigates the trail. He anxiously looks up to see what face looks back at him in the hall of faces. When he spies the waif he turns to face Arya to congratulate her. She holds out needle ready to defend herself and free herself from the threat on her life. Jaq'en tells her she in finally no-one and walks on to her sword unconcerned. Arya defiantly speaks her true name and tells him she's going home. And what does Jaq'en do? He half smiles and nods knowing she has completed her journey.

So what does this have for do with the life debt? The third life was the waif's. She was the life that fulfilled his oath and was his final gift to Arya of House Stark. Arya now walks free and ready to fulfil her destiny.

I feel sorry for the guy who tried to consolidate all those theories about Arya. Well maybe just a little. I like to make predictions too and you live by the sword and die by the sword. I feel more sorry for the people who listened to him and bought in to some of the crap. I'm sorry if it spoiled the storyline for you.

Those theories didn't spring up and proliferate so quickly because a few people had too much time on their hands. People started them, and others started believing them, because the straight-forward story of Arya blissfully walking around like she owned the place, unarmed, and trusting strange old ladies who come in stabbing distance was so bloody stupid. There's a reason why everyone was like, "Hey, Arya would never do that, something else must be going on." And the reason is that people were basically in denial. What they were really saying was, "This is just too stupid, it can't really be happening."

All speculation in regards to what Jaqen really wanted or planned or whatever are pretty much worthless because Jaqen isn't actually a character, he's an enigma. You can ascribe any motivation you want into him, it doesn't matter because he doesn't really have any motivation other than being mysterious. It's why straight-up mind****s are boring, because they don't mean anything. They're shiny objects for people who like to project meaning into things, but are really examples of laziness on behalf of the artists.

I don't see it as lazy as I don't agree with your interpretation.

The point of my consolidation was to show the story was all there to follow. I didn't find it unentertaining at all. What I do find is that some people think that if its not a decapitation or a dragon it's boring. Each to their own. But from my point of view it was good to watch.

I didn't find it unentertaining at all. What I do find is that some people think that if its not a decapitation or a dragon it's boring. Each to their own. But from my point of view it was good to watch.

I am glad you liked it, but people here gave very specific (and very good) reasons why they didn't love Arya's story thread. Agree or disagree, but don't reduce others opinion to a mere lack of eye candy.

And Poe's right about the genesis of all the different theories. Arya was so far out of character that people thought it was for a surprise WTF reason, because under the opposite assumption she was out of character for no reason at all. Now why would someone assume that, considering the show usually does a good job in it's writing? Well..I won't grant them that this time...but you know what? That's okay. They can't all be gems. The show is still awesome.

Sorry if you misunderstood. But the comment about decapitations and dragons was based a general conversations I've had with people and not a reflection of people's opinions in here.

It's also a general commentary on why I feel that people come up on these exaggerated theories. Again, I've done it myself before.

We keep going back to one episode and Arya being 'out of character'. I didn't think she was. I'll reiterate that by Arya freeing herself from the faceless men and picking up her sword she reclaimed some of herself. She was overconfident and but Arya always was. I didn't think she was out of character though. That's a massive over-simplification to me. It's not like she started wearing a flowery dress and reciting poetry.

I think you will appreciate it more on the re-watch like I've said. Well, I hope you do.

Since Arya obviously planned on killing the Waif in that dark room, I wonder if her out of character behavior the previous episode was an attempt to lure the waif and lead her back there? And the waif just got her first? The book might explain this.

Since Arya obviously planned on killing the Waif in that dark room, I wonder if her out of character behavior the previous episode was an attempt to lure the waif and lead her back there? And the waif just got her first? The book might explain this.

That is a good point. Walking around like you own the place, throwing coin around like candy and dangling yourself on a bridge is a great way to lure out assassins. It's definitely a logical explanation of Arya's actions and motivations. I hope the book goes with that general idea, and reworks what the show did. I would do it something like this:

Arya should get wounded on the bridge, but not stabbed in the gut a bunch of times, then triple-lindy into the River of Peewater. Talisa Stark can tell you all about how bad it is getting stabbed bunch of times in the gut. And Robb. And Jon Snow. And countless others. The point is they all died pretty immediately.

Arya should treat her own wounds, and not rely on the one and only person who she was friends with to happen to be a nurse once to save her life. What are the odds? That further shows she had a plan going in, and had a plan B in case things went south. She could show up at Cersei actress's doorstep a bit later to warn her about assassins possibly coming for her...but she's to late. And it's a trap. Then Waif lunges at Arya from the darkness. Arya escapes, parkours through the street, lures her to HER little trappy room of darkness (and hopes the Waif wasn't raised in a barn and closes the door behind her).

Same thing really, just more believable. Downside: no near death Arya for ultra cliffhanger. That's what pisses me off, really. The writers probably intentionally sacrificed logic for the dramatic cliffhanger effect. With a show like this, they probably figured they could get away with it.

Hell, anything is better than what we've got. Even the most far-fetched of fan theories were better than what we got.

"maybe it was all just a dream?"

"you mean...you would rather it all didn't ACUALLY happen, than what did happen actually BE fact?"

"ummmm...yes."

"does this strike anyone else as just...bad writing?"

This was the gist of several of conversations I've had recently about Arya's story. It's bad, and we are in denial. George, for your book's sake, if you're reading this: FIX PLZ.

It wouldn't have taken that much fixing, even!

Like just give us some sense that Arya is trying to lure the Waif out in the open (by throwing money around etc). The plan goes wrong, Arya is injured (not stabbed 5 times in the stomach), and then, minus stopping with Lady Crane, it plays out pretty much the same way. Arya visits Jaqen, Arya goes to the theatre troupe to hitch a ride to wherever and finds out Lady Crane was murdered and boom there's your trademarked GoT bittersweet ending.

Someone deeper in the lore/who has more time that me: if Tommen dies or is declared illegitimate by one way or another, who's next in the line of succession? With no heirs or younger siblings, normally it would go to his father's (supposed father, you know what I mean) brothers, but both Stannis and Renly are dead. So it'd go up a generation to Robert's uncles' line, right?

The only known Baratheon left in the show, to my knowledge is Gendry. He was last seen floating around out there somewhere on his rowboat. Maybe Brienne will run into him.

The books have a few other known bastards. Looking at the lineage on the books' wiki, Robert's father appears to have been an only child himself, so any relations remaining are quite distant.

Either way, I think it's safe to say the Baratheon line ends with Tommen one way or the other. If he were killed, the throne would essentially be vacated and whoever is in charge of King's Landing at the time will simply choose a replacement House, leave the throne empty, or assume the throne themselves.

Someone deeper in the lore/who has more time that me: if Tommen dies or is declared illegitimate by one way or another, who's next in the line of succession? With no heirs or younger siblings, normally it would go to his father's (supposed father, you know what I mean) brothers, but both Stannis and Renly are dead. So it'd go up a generation to Robert's uncles' line, right?

A Great Council.

ETA: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Great_Council

Just read a theory I love: Varys was behind the attack on Meereen.

It makes perfect sense. Firstly and obviously he leaves and then immediately there is an attack. Secondly in earlier seasons he made it clear that he did not believe Stannis should be King because he used "dark arts". These dark arts were basically a Red Priestess, who has Tyrion aligned Dany with now? What religion seems to back Dany now? The Lord of Light.

Also if you go back to season 1 to the convo Arya overhead Varys having with Illyrio the gist of it is that they "aren't ready" and that something needs to be done. The next scene is Varys reporting that Dany is with child and wanting King Robert to send an assassin. It doesn't seem likely that he would send an assassin and hope that assassin fails. He sent the assassin to kill Dany.

Now what is Varys' actual end goal? I don't know, but I do think he doesn't want Dany to sit the throne.

Yeah I read somewhere it would go to Cersei after Tommen as wells, as part of the "mad queen theory". In Cersei's eyes, he's already destined to die, and she's accepted that by her quiet, somber demeanor. She learns of wildfire throughout kings landing, and ignites it to take out all her enemies the faith, the tyrells (if they don't leave quick enough) and all the peons who threw poop and flashed her.

In case someone doesnt already know, il'll explain it real quick. Just in case it turns out to be true:

This theory is evidenced by Brans "Mad King/burn them all!" vision. He saw wildfire being poured, the mad king yell "burn them all!" over and over, and a green explosion in kings landing. She also sees a burned, smoking kings landing, with a dragon's shadow overhead. Some of this is in the past, but that explosion and dragon is presumably in the future, since the mad king didn't live long enough to see the order carried out. Cersei finds out...something useful, which is probably that the wildfire is still in place throughout the city. Cersei has been quoted multiple times that she would "burn the city down before" (whatever), and that is interpreted as foreshadowing. Kings landing is burned by the wildfire and NOT the dragon...Danny and her dragons arrive after the place is toasted (Danny arriving in an empty, burned, destroyed throne room in kings landing is in one of Danny's visions).

Just read a theory I love: Varys was behind the attack on Meereen.

It makes perfect sense. Firstly and obviously he leaves and then immediately there is an attack. Secondly in earlier seasons he made it clear that he did not believe Stannis should be King because he used "dark arts". These dark arts were basically a Red Priestess, who has Tyrion aligned Dany with now? What religion seems to back Dany now? The Lord of Light.

Also if you go back to season 1 to the convo Arya overhead Varys having with Illyrio the gist of it is that they "aren't ready" and that something needs to be done. The next scene is Varys reporting that Dany is with child and wanting King Robert to send an assassin. It doesn't seem likely that he would send an assassin and hope that assassin fails. He sent the assassin to kill Dany.

Now what is Varys' actual end goal? I don't know, but I do think he doesn't want Dany to sit the throne.

Yeah I thought Varys's departure was pretty damn convenient. Plus the sexy eyed red priestess of hotness seemed to know a lot about Varys, so much that it caught him off guard. Varys is NEVER caught off guard. She also questioned his loyalty; and considering her accuracy about Varys's past, you gotta assume she's spot on about her wariness of his loyalty. THEN he suddenly and suspiciously leaves. THEN a fleet of ships roll up on Mereene and attack the city? Varys, you bad boy.

I know book Varys favors a different targaryen heir. Show Varys...not sure, because said targaryen heir doesn't seem to be a thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.