Lucas1138

We don't get to see her in the detail we did last night, but when Stannis is in the North and sends ravens out telling all the Northern Lords to bend the knee she is the one that sends back

"Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK."

Which is a pretty awesome moment.

The "Gravedigger/Hound" theory is my absolute favorite of all the reasonably well supported fan theories. So even though the books are the book and the show is the show, I'm really really really glad I'll be able see it play out in at least one medium.

I hope he's the Faith's champion in Cersei's Trial by Combat against his zombie-brother. GET HYPE.

Holding the credits for the Hound was awesome and totally justified. Rare fanboy moment when he shows up. I'm glad to have him back. And, even though it was something of a cliche role and story, I loved Brother Ray.

Funny, the last few episodes have had so many long lost characters show up. The Hound, Blackfish, and Brotherhood Without Banners in this episode (plus Bronn's season debut!). Benjen Stark and Frey's exposition hall last episode. Rickon a few couple episodes back. All the lost pieces are suddenly being re-found and strung together.

Looks like the Clegane Bowl is back on. I'm thinking it won't happen for awhile though. Knowing the Hound, he might just kill his brother and then take out the Sparrow too.

Speaking of which, Cersei finally gets called out on just how monumentally stupid she was in creating the whole mess that she's in. The walls are very much closing around her, but she seems oddly confident. She's got something up her sleeve. She's not a very good schemer, but even she's got to see that putting all her faith in the Mountain is a fool's bet.

Margaery tips her hand a bit to help her grandmother. Nothing like the Sparrow telling her that a woman simply need lay back and endure it to remind us why she could never join them. But the question becomes whether she can do this. Her brother was already half-broken before. He'll no doubt tell them about his conversation with her just before her sudden change. She's playing a dangerous game, but she's also one of the few who might be able to pull if off.

Big disappointment that Arya almost went out like a punk. Seriously, as soon as I saw the old woman obscured in the background, I knew what was happening. How did Arya not see that coming?

I've got my own little theory that Theon ends up married to Daenerys. She needs ships, the Greyjoys need an alliance. He's not likely to impose on her. She wants to keep her boy toys without a jealous husband. Win/win for everybody.

Also, how the heck is Davos the most persuasive person in the world, save those blessed with the ability to walk out of an inferno naked and make speeches while riding a dragon? This guy's learned the art of being a wet blanket from Stannis, yet whenever he opens his mouth to make a rousing speech, he gets what he wants (granted soldier-on-soldier fighting, not so much).

Also, in that scene, did that little girl give anybody else get odd flashes back to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Davos rocks. He can appeal from an everyman perspective. Once he started speaking I knew Sansa was in there.

I for the first time believe Lady Stonrheart is gonna show up. That hanging man, the brutality of what The Hound found ... speaks to that I think.

We don't get to see her in the detail we did last night, but when Stannis is in the North and sends ravens out telling all the Northern Lords to bend the knee she is the one that sends back

"Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK."

Which is a pretty awesome moment.

LMFAO Nice. She's awesome.

So glad the Hound is back. So glad.

Arya needs to level up quick smart if she's gonna get herself outta this situation. She's turned into the old Sansa, just continually being handed beat-downs that she can't progress round. It's getting frustrating. Arya used to be my favorite character, back when she was the Hounds companion. That'd be an interesting reunion if it happens.

That'd be an interesting reunion if it happens.

Not sure if it does. At least not for awhile. The Hound is in the same area as Jaime, Blackfish, Frey, and, soon, Brienne.

The suggestion of Lady Stoneheart finally making an appearance has some merit. The Brotherhood Without Banners weren't the nicest people before, but they weren't the type to outright murder a whole host of people just to steal their stuff. They were started by reasonably good men (including many of Ned Stark's guard) and presumably wished to protect the common people and resist the Lannisters. Even when they did steal stuff, they wrote worthless IOUs as compensation.

So you'd have a LOT of things suddenly interconnecting. Lady Stoneheart and her uncle. Lady Stoneheart and Brienne and Jaime (oath breakers all). Jaime and Brienne. The Hound and Brienne. Lady Stoneheart and Frey. In this season of lost characters, maybe Gendry found his way back to the Brotherhood.

A lot of things suddenly thrown into the mix.

I think it was pretty poor writing to have her wandering around Braavos out in the open and without Needle. Doesn't sound like Arya at all.

It was definitely weird. Last episode ended with her blowing out a candle. This told me that she was preparing for war. That she was going to use her newfound skills in the dark to her advantage.

So immediately afterwards, she falls for the same trick as Snow White? Please.

Also, for what it's worth, the Waif is probably failing her own tests left and right. I don't see how she can be "No One" and basically make it her goal to take down Arya. I actually figured her character was a part of some bigger story before she went back to tattle and received permission to hunt down Arya.

If that first theory is true, I'll obviously have to take back my poor writing statement. I hope it's true.

No you don't. Because it is poor writing. Arya is either stupid (bad writing) or they are trying to find a cheap thrill to pull the rug out from the audience (even worse writing).

Personally, I place characters going against their basic nature and doing something REALLY stupid for plot reasons much higher on the cinematic sins list than I do a cheap writer trick.

I'd much prefer it if Arya hadn't suddenly grabbed the idiot ball even if it's a silly plotline teaching a lesson to another character I honestly don't give a rip about.

By the way, here is the text of the Broken Man speech delivered by one of the characters they smashed together to get Ian McShane's Septon Ray. It's really, really good. Of course, it works better in writing than it would have in the show (and they kind of hit on it), but it's worth reading I think:

"Ser? My lady?" said Podrick. "Is a broken man an outlaw?"

"More or less," Brienne answered.

Septon Meribald disagreed. "More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

"Then they get a taste of battle.

"For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

"They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

"If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world . . .

"And the man breaks.

"He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well."

When Meribald was finished a profound silence fell upon their little band. Brienne could hear the wind rustling through a clump of pussywillows, and farther off the faint cry of a loon. She could hear Dog panting softly as he loped along beside the septon and his donkey, tongue lolling from his mouth. The quiet stretched and stretched, until finally she said, "How old were you when they marched you off to war?"

"Why, no older than your boy," Meribald replied. "Too young for such, in truth, but my brothers were all going, and I would not be left behind. Willam said I could be his squire, though Will was no knight, only a potboy armed with a kitchen knife he'd stolen from the inn. He died upon the Stepstones, and never struck a blow. It was fever did for him, and for my brother Robin. Owen died from a mace that split his head apart, and his friend Jon Pox was hanged for rape."

"The War of the Ninepenny Kings?" asked Hyle Hunt.

"So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was."

God damn it, I saw a pic online of Arya walking around Braavos last night and it appears as thought Arya was walking right pasty Arya. Just can't find it again.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/06/read-this-theory-if-you-want-to-feel-way-better-ab.html

I'm well into that first "big" theory. Everyone I've mentioned it to IRL has also been into it.

Just re-watched the episode for it especially, and I could be imagining things but it was like Arya's mannerisms and movements were not consistent with her character. Just saying. Im all in for that theory.

I don't know what's going on with Arya but I think it's safe to say that it's not as simple as the waif slashing her.

As for lazy writing or whatever, the story is about assassins who can perfectly disguise themselves. If you didn't think there was going to be like mistaken identity or whatever in this storyline then you are nuts.

The most compelling bit of evidence (outside of "Arya" not having Needle with her, and just how generally out of character that whole bit is) is that "Arya" uses her right hand to toss the coin bag and pick it back up again, and then uses her right hand to try to stop the bleeding in her abdomen.

Arya is left-handed, and Maisie Williams has made a point to do as many things as possible left-handed as Arya would - only making exceptions for things that would be truly difficult to pull off or look unnatural.

Just how would Jaqen (or anyone else) get Arya's face if it's still attached to her??

It was very deliberate in the episode before where we see Jaqen carefully removing a face from a corpse. That was how they obtain the faces and change their appearance. Or so it seems.

Could Arya's face already be removed??

I'm not saying it disproves any theories but it certainly makes them less likely unless more information comes to light.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.