Lucas1138

It's a difficult one because Arya's experiences with the servants of the Many Faced God are nothing short of conundrum.

The character of Jaqen doesn't seem in keeping with what she is experiencing at the moment. If you cast your mind back to when he owed her a life debt he offered her three lives because she saved his own. I'm not sure whether this was 'taking lives' which would displease their god and go against their beliefs. Similarly, they do a job as assassins but anyone can pay for this by my account. So does this god have a bank account? How do they decide what is right and what is wrong in their religion? According to the most recent information, a girl does not ask questions, but serves without question. It's hard to really say what these Faceless People really are (Can't call them Faceless Men as their's more women than men!). They don't take lives that don't already belong to The Many Faced God. I'm not even sure what the actual payment is. Does money change hands or is something else offered?

Of course they could just be fanatical and following old doctrines, but I'd really like to see what is exchanged for the favour of the many faced god.

Having said all of that, Arya's experiences have all been about tests of her resolve, her faith and learning lessons. The answers have not always been easy for her and not always apparent. I wonder if there will be a twist in this current assignment. Is she meant to kill her target or is she supposed to see through the mission and see who she is actually meant to kill? Whether it's one target or many?

I think she will take another life. We're led to believe this will be the end for her. So does this mean she will realise and run? Or is it all a trick to make her see through what is right and wrong?

One thing I'm sure of is that Arya was never destined to become a Faceless Person. She will retain her identity. I thought she would initially admittedly, but the more it goes on, the less I'm inclined to believe she actually wants to become one of them. A lot is made of whether she can be 'no-one' but I don't think that she needs to become 'no-one', she just has to convince them she can be 'no-one'. It's like the undetectable lie. Is that what they're trying to teach her?

As this story arc draws to a conclusion it makes me wonder how she returns to Westeros. I doubt she can do that under her own steam. Even if she does make it across the Narrow Sea, she is one girl alone. Her newfound abilities allow her to blend in and possibly kill undetected. But I'm less comfortable with her being this wandering loose cannon than I would be if she was allied to a cause. Revenge has always been her motivation. But I don't think it's enough for her to slot back in to the bigger picture.

As much as it would please me to see her wreak revenge on those on her list, I can't really imagine it to be that interesting in a show with major plots and intrigues. Arya turn up here and kills X. Then she turns up there and kills Y. It doesn't seem enough somehow.

So yeah... her storyline is really boring and I don't have a lot to say about it to be honest :)

Thing is, every last bit of that could have been conveyed in 1/5 the amount of time devoted to it. There's not much going on and the lessons are so vague that I just don't care. There doesn't seem to be much character development going on. I doubt we'll ever get any clear answers on what the Faceless Men are all about, and do we really want firm answers anyway? It really does seem that she'll get some new skills and leave with Needle.

If that comes to pass, this has just been a slow super duper long training montage filled with mind****s instead of roadwork and we don't even get to listen to Survivor while she's at it.

I also would be remiss if I didn't mention another great thing from this episode and that is ofcourse the actress who played Sansa in the play. Great performance, just amazing. Personally I think it deserves recognition for an Emmy and a Golden Globe. And screw it, an Oscar too.

"There are no small parts," indeed!

If we go this route (and I don't think it will), I think it would make more sense for it to have been Bloodraven, since he is a Targaryen and would have a somewhat vested interest in trying to let Aerys know about Tywin's machinations, Rhaegar potentially calling a Great Council at Harrenhal, or Southron Ambitions. That being said, I think we're at about even money on getting a Jaime-stabbing-Aerys flashback soon, given this shot from the trailer: http://i.imgur.com/ohD9DSH.gifv

I didn't think so at all at first (thought it was Robert Strong stabbing someone), but I've been convinced by the masses. Slowed down, it certainly looks like the crown is falling off as he's stabbed. He also has Aerys' crazy flowing robes. And it's "very clearly" the Iron Throne's shadow in the right of the shot.

I think this is Jamie killing Pycelle. To go along with the massacre of the Tyrell's and their army.

Yeah, I think so. They seem intelligent enough, and especially when it comes to magic. This is a great opportunity for them, and since it looks like they live for thousands of years, they understand their patience will pay off. It appears it's going to pay off real soon.

I hate bran so much. His storyline is cool (unlike before) but he's nothing more than a plot device, ever since book one. In book one, his nose trouble almost got him killed and kick-started the series of events which led to the the GoT war of the roses.

Now, it appears his nose trouble not only mind-raped an innocent kid and killed him as an adult, along with his companions, but it seems he's going to allow the WW threat march across the magic wall and start the apocalypse. How fitting it's Bran again.

Here's an idea Bran, go back in time and kill yourself. That will fix everything.

T H E

E N D

Again, Bran isn't the cause of the War of 5 Kings, Littlefinger is. If Bran hadn't been thrown from the window everything was going to play out pretty much the way it did. There would have been little differences, maybe it would have taken a year longer to jump off, but Littlefinger wasn't going to be denied. Sooner or later he'd have manipulated events until it happened.

Now ... this whole White Walker thing? That's all Bran. LMFAO

I just got caught up and OH. MY. GOD. That ending hurt my heart, but DAMN they did it well. And Kristian Nairn did an amazing amount with a single word of dialogue. I still don't know what Bran's purpose is at this point, but I don't seem to hate him like others in this thread. I'm sad to see the Children go, if for no other reason than their makeup and costuming were really cool. Summer :(

Dany's goodbye to Jorah also pulled at the heartstrings. It has been so long since they had an honest, vulnerable, open conversation about what they mean to each other (if they've ever truly had one before). And is it possible that Emilia Clarke has gotten even more beautiful? It doesn't seem like it should be possible, but... Come on, Jorah! Find that cure!

I spent most of the Ironborn scene thinking that I just couldn't care less about them and couldn't fathom why we were supposed to care. It's nice to see there might be a reason we're watching a bunch of nobodys on the ass-end of the galaxy.

Sansa is still the one I just can't stand. Like someone else said, she just never learns. Littlefinger just played her again, so we're once again back in the cycle of thinking Sansa might finally actually do something only to see her get beaten down again. Good god, woman. When will you learn to never trust a thing that man says? Since Jon had so little to do this episode, the only bright thing about Castle Black was Tormund making moon-eyes at Brienne. :lol:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I want so badly to keep liking Arya, but her storyline is getting more and more boring.

Bran should still go back in time and Hodor himself.

Too soon.

Don't judge Sansa too fast. If my tv series had started when I was 14, by the time I was 18 everybody would think I was a moron who never learned. If my tv series had started when I was 20 everybody would think life had taught me EVERYTHING.

I think Sansa has learned and she wasn't falling for as much in that scene as we think she did. We'll see.

Tormund's stares are hilarious. Brienne should have some of that, because nobody else is going to want to give it to her. She should be grateful.

Yes, Sansa is dumb...or maybe she's trying to play both sides? Keep her options open? Maybe? I'm not sure if she's learned enough judging by what we've seen of her.

Littlefinger's got the Knights of the Vale garrisoned and ready. In GoT nobody rallies an army and NOT uses it, so you have to assume he WILL use it. It's a threat, and Jon shouldn't have been left in the dark about them. The bastard Bowl is going to wear down both sides, and Littlefinger's Knights of the Vale are going to swoop in and defeat the victor. She should have accepted his aid, blown him for being her savior, then allowed that army to march straight into it's own demise, and mop up what's left of Ramsey's.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jon gets overrun by the knights of the Vale, and goes on the run, finds his buddy Sam and Ghilley. Jorah the Explorer bumps into Jon, tells him about Danny and Tyrion. Jorah returns to Danny with Jon in tow. Tyrion vouches for him because they are bastard buddies, as evidenced by their relationship in book one. The three heads of the dragon finally come together...but where is Sansa in all this? Probably either dead or in littlefinger's clutches.

I think the White Walkers are going to interrupt the Bastard Bowl mid fight.

I also think that it wouldn't have changed Littlefinger's plan one bit.

1) If Sansa accepts his help, the Knights of the vale wait until the battle is over and then mop up the survivors.

2) If Sansa doesn't accept his help, the Knights of the vale wait until the battle is over and then mop up the survivors.

Sansa is still the one I just can't stand. Like someone else said, she just never learns. Littlefinger just played her again, so we're once again back in the cycle of thinking Sansa might finally actually do something only to see her get beaten down again. Good god, woman. When will you learn to never trust a thing that man says?

I don't understand this. Why do we think Sansa was "played" by Littlefinger? You aren't the only person to make that point, and I just don't get it.

I think Sansa, and her resemblance to her mother, is Littlefinger's one weak spot. I don't think he lied to her. In every scene, with everyone he deals with, he maintains the same snotty air of confidence, but that breaks with her.

About this week though - NOW WE ARE ****ing GOING SOMEWHERE!!

I think Sansa has learned and she wasn't falling for as much in that scene as we think she did. We'll see.

I don't understand this. Why do we think Sansa was "played" by Littlefinger? You aren't the only person to make that point, and I just don't get it.

I don't think she should trust anything Littlefinger says, including the bit about her uncle having rallied the Tully forces. If she believed nothing else, she believed that enough to pass it along and hide its source, and now Jon is depending on the support of an army that I'm almost positive doesn't exist. Littlefinger is waiting to let Jon and Ramsay decimate each other, then he'll waltz in with the knights of the Vale to take Winterfell for himself.

I think Sansa, and her resemblance to her mother, is Littlefinger's one weak spot. I don't think he lied to her. In every scene, with everyone he deals with, he maintains the same snotty air of confidence, but that breaks with her.

I don't see this, simply because it would require Littlefinger to have normal human emotions, and I just don't think he's capable. :lol:

It's a shame that Littlefinger gets so much credit here. I get it because it is what it looks like in the TV show.

But in the literary sense (notice the way I didn't say 'in the books'). Varys has pulled as many strings if not more. The difference is that Varys is playing a much longer game and has a much wider reach. Littlefinger has advanced up the chain but Varys has more things in play.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.