Lucas1138

The 'buried alive amidst dead bodies' idea.

Waves of soldiers climbing up and over the heaping mound of dead soldiers.

Demonstration of mixed-unit tactics.

The trap to lure the lord commander out in the open.

The opposing viewpoints of archers' friendly-firing into a large melee.

The chaos within that melee.

The 'we don't have a battering ram but we have a Wun-Wun tank' thing.

The sound and camera work in general...

So many nuggets of awesomeness. The payoff at the end was icing on the cake.

Yeah the Jon vs Sansa argument did seem to come out of the blue and felt forced (and was useless). It was definitely the low point of the episode but come on...the rest was great.

The only other little nit-picky thing that struck me was when the archers were pwning Snow's army and their lack of shields. I remember thinking: "they knew their army was so big, you have to assume they have archers. You also have to storm a castle probably defended by archers. WHY DO NOBODY THE SHIELDS TO FIGHT BRING????" Then Jon Snow needs a shield at the end so he just picks one up off the ground. lol

Whatever. Still awesome.

Yeah, I noticed that. My wife does the very same thing to me, so I recognize that kind of behavior.

Edit: Maybe it wasn't worthless after all. Maybe the intention was to foreshadow division in leadership due to differing opinions over who gets credit for the win; where some believe Jon was the true hero/leader, while others believe Sansa & little finger the saviors. If that's the case, Sansa kind of played Jon; or more accurately Little Finger is coaching Sansa to play Jon so he can play Sansa. Maybe Jon will be outcast all together (like always happens to the poor bastard) and returns to the wall by himself.

War is hell. This episode finally depicted the gruesome nature of war that fantasy almost always strays away from but GRRM embraces so willingly. It almost adds to my disappointment of the lack of Broken Man speech in (anything resembling the original copy). Read this partial quote and just think back to the god awful scenes we saw last night. As one review I read today said "Game of Thrones Took us to Hell."

... Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide.Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

"Then they get a taste of battle.

"For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

"They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now.They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are ****ting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

"If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world . . .

"And the man breaks.

"He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well."

I told myself while watching last night that Jon and the officers (?) knew about the knights of the vale, that it was the plan all along, to hold out long enough for Ramsay to think his victory was inevitable. Then the knights would ride. Made sense that way, an we don't necessarily need to be in on it.

Sansa's argument with Jon just goes to show what a bitch her character is. I've never liked her. She's such a sour faced whinger. Anyways I guess there will be arguments over who is The Lord of Winterfell or King/queen of the north. I suspect Jon doesn't want it anyway.

When Ramsay was trying to intimidate Jon’s lords with stories about his dogs, and Tormund’s face was just like, “… They call me giantsbane.” :lol:

I actually disagree that the scene wtih Jon and Sansa was stupid. For once, I actually identify with Sansa in that scene--they really think they know anything about Ramsay after meeting him one time? Of course she's frustrated with that, and she's FINALLY in a position to do something and she's worried they're going to mess it up. And, you know, she turned out to be right:

Sansa: “Jon, don’t play Ramsay’s games.”

Jon with Rickon: “Imma play his games.”

However, Ramsay’s death and the manner of it fixes any problem this season had so far and tenfold more. Joffrey's death came really close to making me this happy, but the hounds made this one for me. Awesome.

I think the argument between Sansa and Jon was the beginning of a division in the house.

It harks back to Littlefinger reminding her Jon is a bastard and I think it will be a storyline that unfolds. I have to wonder what she owes Baelish for this as well.

I just had an epiphany regarding my series-long feelings about Sansa. How old was she supposed to be when the show started? I know they aged all the kids up, but she was still pre-pubescent, so maybe 12? I've always hated her because, even once her attitude improved, she was just so slow on the uptake all the time, but her character was still pretty young, wasn't she? Sophie Turner's height has always made her look older than she is, especially in the past few seasons.

TLDR: Sophie Turner's height made me hate Sansa.

It harks back to Littlefinger reminding her Jon is a bastard.

If this is the way it goes, I rescind my previous Sansa comments and hate her again.

Definitely! The Mad King is slowly coming out. Seems like she just wants to **** things up now.

Yeah... Though I didn't think Tyrion drew parallels all that well in that scene, she's starting to lose it a little. If that's the case, how long before Jon starts losing it, too? Also, does this mean Jon and Aunt Dany are destined to be together?

On a related note, someone who has read the books answer me this--how did they deal with the Targaryen incest? If the Targaryens have been marrying each other for centuries, I'm curious as to why it's such a big scandal that Cersei and Jaime are an item. Did the general populace not care that the Targaryens were inbreeding?

I don't think Dany is going mad.

I just had an epiphany regarding my series-long feelings about Sansa. How old was she supposed to be when the show started? I know they aged all the kids up, but she was still pre-pubescent, so maybe 12? I've always hated her because, even once her attitude improved, she was just so slow on the uptake all the time, but her character was still pretty young, wasn't she? Sophie Turner's height has always made her look older than she is, especially in the past few seasons.

TLDR: Sophie Turner's height made me hate Sansa.

Yeah Sansa was a little girl, thinking the world was rainbows and butterflies. She's picked up on more of it now but there's still room to grow. I blame the writers for people hating Sansa, they went above and beyond her naivete often times. I think she's more or less on track now though (with the exception of the stupid decision to have her withhold information from Jon).

Yeah... Though I didn't think Tyrion drew parallels all that well in that scene, she's starting to lose it a little. If that's the case, how long before Jon starts losing it, too? Also, does this mean Jon and Aunt Dany are destined to be together?

On a related note, someone who has read the books answer me this--how did they deal with the Targaryen incest? If the Targaryens have been marrying each other for centuries, I'm curious as to why it's such a big scandal that Cersei and Jaime are an item. Did the general populace not care that the Targaryens were inbreeding?

I think the purpose of Tyrion drawing parallels was more for the audience. Cersei is (at least attempting to) burning King's Landing. It was an info dump. He even went so far as to mention caches under the Great Sept.

Re: Jon

Not every Targaryen goes/went mad as a result of the inbreeding. And he, ostensibly, isn't the result of Targaryen inbreeding. So it doesn't really matter for Jon

The Faith rose up in rebellion against the practice at one point was put down and then turned basically turned a blind eye to Targaryen incest due to the power of the royal family.

I don't remember all of the details of how people reacted to the Targaryen incest as I am not nearly as avid of a reader of the series as others here are, but from what I remember, a key difference between the Targaryen case and the Lannister case is that, for the former family, those involved were married. That resulted in the children being viewed as legitimate heirs. Contrast this to Cersei and Jaime, whose children were not only bastards, but were not legitimate heirs to the throne since none were offspring of Robert. As a result, it was scandalous by virtue of being covered up, if nothing else (though, I certainly can't recall everything here, so there may easily be another component that I am missing).

I don't think it was the marriage thing. It's alot deeper.

The Targaryan's are one of the few surviving families of Valyria. The Valyrian Freehold was the greatest civilization in history. They are held in the highest regard. They had dragons, they made the best steel. The people there are held in the highest possible regard. The Targaryan's were one of the few families who escaped the Doom of Valyria and survived, settling on Dragonstone.

Some time later Aegon the Conquerer and his sisters/wives arrived with a small company of men and 3 dragons and conquered nearly the whole continent of Westeros. Because they were Valyrian and had dragons they were seen nearly as like Gods, not just like the next family in Westeros. The Targaryan's were above the laws and rules and conventions of Westeros. The rules simply didn't apply to them the same way they applied to the Starks or Tyrells or Lannisters.

Anyone think Dany may be turning to the dark side?

I've been hearing this a lot recently. I'm not sure why this is gaining so much traction. Despite what Tyrion says, there is a HUGE difference between torching everyone in King's Landing with wildfire and defending herself by taking out a few ships that were catapulting her city. She even offered an opportunity for surrender. Sort of. Tyrion himself caused more death and destruction during the battle of Blackwater. He wiped out an entire fleet. He even used the same explosive as the Mad King...wildfire. Nobody thought he was turning to the darkside for that.

I do think Daario and Tyrion are like the devil and the angel on Dany's shoulder. If she starts to actually listen to Daario more, he could possibly lead her down a dark path, but so far she seems to always strike a good balance with her advisors' advice.

Thanks for the Targaryen clarification. I wonder if part of it is also because the Lannisters are so universally hated. Maybe people are happy for an excuse to bring them down?

Despite what Tyrion says, there is a HUGE difference between torching everyone in King's Landing with wildfire and defending herself by taking out a few ships that were catapulting her city. She even offered an opportunity for surrender. Sort of. Tyrion himself caused more death and destruction during the battle of Blackwater. He wiped out an entire fleet. He even used the same explosive as the Mad King...wildfire. Nobody thought he was turning to the darkside for that.

A couple points:

1. That opportunity to surrender was only because Tyrion convinced her to do it his way, wasn't it?

2. I feel like Tyrion really didn't have any other option, though, you know? He was in charge of defending the city and had no other cards up his sleeve. Dany, on the other hand, has three suddenly well-behaved Dragons in her arsenal. She doesn't HAVE to do a damn thing; she can always set the terms.

Just my two cents.

Just think of Dany's whole thing "I will take what is mine with Fire and Blood". Doesn't sound like a good guy really. Also, why is it hers? Because centuries earlier a relative came with dragons, burned whole armies and subjugate an entire continent? By that logic the slaves belong to the Masters in Slavers Bay.

Just think of Dany's whole thing "I will take what is mine with Fire and Blood". Doesn't sound like a good guy really. Also, why is it hers? Because centuries earlier a relative came with dragons, burned whole armies and subjugate an entire continent? By that logic the slaves belong to the Masters in Slavers Bay.

Good guys? Hah! Who are they?

This is not star wars where it's a story of good vs evil. It's a show about differing agendas and power struggles. It has a complex morality system with a ton of grey area, and some scumbags and psychopaths sprinkled in. It is modeled after the middle ages with a monarchy system of government that is subjugative, and a class system that exploits the lower class. There are very few good people, and they either ger killed or taken advantage of or pushed around. Under this context, and judging her by her actions thus far, And scaling with the rest of the people on the show, I would say she's decent enough, but isn't perfect. She never killed anyone who didn't have it coming. She does show compassion at times, which really sets her apart, though.

I also believe even if she didn't offer surrender and took out that entire attacking fleet, I'd still ssy she would be 100% justified..but I doubt she would've ever done that anyways because she needs the ships. "Hey thanks for the fleet." lol

I'm not saying you are wrong but at the very least some characters are presented as good guys and some as bad guys. I've brought this up manyA times, even defending the actions of the Boltons and Lannisters in the Red Wedding.

That's basically what I'm saying here, Dany has been presented as a good guy. But when ya look at her and what she plans to do, maybe she isn't so good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.