Has anyone played around with AI art?

CoLA

I dove in pretty hard with Midjourney a year or so ago. It's been super helpful for me in terms of cooking up images for all my pitches. As a former graphic designer used to working with clip art and doing photo manipulations Ai plus my usual photoshop process was giving me great stuff.

But then I learned about how much of the learning models were straight up stealing from actual artists... and then AI threatened to gut my career and became a key factor in both our strike and the actors strike.

Needless to say, I'm very mixed on the topic now. I DO think it has its place, and if you want to make silly images, have it help with concepts and pitches, or even use it for your own uses, that's fine and it's getting better every day. But in terms of using it for-profit or to cut out the work of an actual person, totally against it. Problem is I don't know if I can have it both ways as even using it just for myself better educates the AI for somebody to do what I am against.

My husband and kids like to use the Bing AI to make funny images. Today it was something like, you're a powerful warrior, but you have to take care of a puppy. My daughter has been using some website lately to design her characters for stories or D&D campaigns. She already really loves drawing but she's gotten more into anime so that's the style she's trying to replicate. I don't think it's true AI, more like it gives you a bunch of options, like internet paper dolls.

As a trained painter AIs lack of anatomical knowledge makes me laugh. 

It can be fun to fuck around with. But there is so many AI images out there now most of the apps have started referencing other AI creations now. It'll lead to worse and worse reproductions in the long run. Like photocopies of photocopies Which is good news to me. 

The best use of AI I've seen artistically is a painter I follow who makes a fairly sophisticated composition sketch/block in and feeds that to stable diffusion to make a render of his sketch, then he brings it back into Photoshop and finishes it. He gets very very impressive results. Kind of like using 3d modelling software to make a scene then bringing that into Photoshop to finish. 

Still can't get AI to make an amazing composition and then finish it in oil paint though. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.