Moving, mortgages, and renovations

Cerina

1 hour ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Oh man if you can do cash, absolutely do it. What do you need fixed?

Well the house has settled and I think part of it needs to be raised.  Pretty common for homes like mine.  It's not on a cement foundation.  

Shouldn’t be too much to level it out. And money well spent for the future. I had a quote for pier foundation of 3000 but that was a few years ago. 

friends of mine rocked in their doublewide and they need theirs leveled but because of it being rock all the way around the price is more. 

I spent 5 hours today specifying materials for our remodel. What a pain in the ass. I had to pick out kitchen and bathroom faucets and shower hardware. We still don't have the countertops decision done because our designer hasn't come back with a quote. I can't find a bullnose tile in our first choice shower tile (well, the sample arrives Thursday, so we will see if it's still the first choice).

I like that tile option but it's like Classic Seattle. RAIN RAIN RAIN. Plus after a while you'll think you have hard water and want to scrub it all the time because of the lime build up. Plus that looks like early linoleum tile.

I think you should go in the complete opposite direction and go light. Something bright that will make your vanity stand out. Not yellow but a white with a darker floor would be good.

• 5 weeks later...

I had my Dad install a ceiling fan on my porch a few years ago and I went to dust it yesterday and the damn light assembly fell out and was dangling so I had to fix it. Hunter Fan company can eat a bowl of dog poop for their poorly designed way to assemble these. It took me HOURS of bitching and swearing to get the fan fixed because my only form of natural like was the light from the damn fan. From 8 PM to 10:30 I was struggling with rage, people who design fans poorly so the assembly woobles it's way off these hidden screws and my Dad who put pilot scews on the wrong way because I suspect he just wanted it to be over with as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Holy hell.  There is a house about an hour north of me that has over 6,000 square feet.  It's listed at just under $300K.  It has an indoor pool.  Built in '72 and looks to have never been renovated.  It's pending but I would jump on this if I could move fast enough.  I believe someone put an offer in on the first day.

https://www.redfin.com/IN/Kokomo/3300-Tally-Ho-Dr-46902/home/127213610?msclkid=f71d66b9caac11eeb86c79819fa268f0

Dude that place is awesome

I wish sites like redfin and zillow and the like would have floor plans too. As fun as looking at pictures can be my brain has a hard time getting a full feel for the house without knowing how things are laid out.

not like I'm ever gonna be able to buy a house lol

• 3 weeks later...

Our permit was finally approved and we start our remodel in a week and a half. Here's to 2-3 months of no kitchen and no laundry. My husband tried to talk me into buying some sort of portable washing machine and I just gave him the sideeye and said I'd be dropping our laundry off every week and picking it up. Gonna be expensive but ain't nobody got time for this.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:05 PM, Metropolis said:

That that house has an indoor pool and is that price tells me there is a ton of work that needs to be done to the place. 

That house sold for 100K over market but STILL!!  

I don't know how much that house would have gone for pre pandemic. In Florida that would have gone for $400k in that condition, with a flip of around twice that to a million. Now in that condition it would go for around 600K. 

• 2 weeks later...

2-3 months, apparently for everything. I think the bathroom will be last because there's a lot of plumbing work to do. They are delivering cabinets in 2 weeks, and we are going on spring break. So I'm hoping to come back from spring break to all the cabinets done and maybe I can ask them to at least bring the oven back in. Since it's electric and not gas, I'm hoping they can bring the oven back in and let us plug that in. The new microwave/mini convention oven is built in so I don't think they will be able to get that hooked up that fast. I'm ok with getting food out of the fridge in the garage if I can have my oven back.

Had my first outings to the laundromat this weekend. Saturday I dropped off and had them do all the work. 18 lbs x $2.38/lb plus tax came out to $48, and then the guy had a tip line. Ugh. So today I came back and did 2 loads myself and it came out to $25 plus a $0.98 convenience fee (worth it not to change $25 into quarters, honestly). But then Google Pay said they charged me $45 so wtf. So now I'm going to ask friends if I can come over in exchange for a bottle of wine. However, I was done in like 1 hrs 15 minutes with 2 loads, so that part was kind of great.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.