EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

My theory, not spoiler tagged cuz it's probably a big pile of Bantha poodoo: Luke finishes training Rey (which will take 5 minutes b/c she's naturally so strong with the Force), and they fly off to confront Kylo. Luke is killed a la Kenobi in New Hope, and Rey is now... The Last Jedi.

• 2 weeks later...

In all seriousness, why are these Jedi (maybe Finn will surprise us?) The Last Jedi? Do they mean the latest Jedi, or does this mean there can be no more order after these guys? And what could be the reason?

Personally, I think it's a 'if we don't make it at least we died with honor' kind of thing

I think that's just a product of the times. Plus when you look at the logos for Empire and Jedi, Star Wars is still present.

The early-80s were right in the middle of about a 20 year period where most sequels simply had a number or roman numeral attached to them (Godfather, The French Connection, Jaws, Rocky, Superman, Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc.). There were still exceptions of course (the Bond films continued to have completely unique names of course), and there were some numbered movies with by-lines like the Trek movies.

But Star Wars was going definitely bucking the Hollywood trend at the time by not simply calling itself Star Wars II and leaving it at that.

More than exceptions. Other film sequels with no roman numeral: Planet of the Apes series, Hammer's Dracula & Frankenstein films, AIP's Doctor Phibes / Count Yorga / Blacula movies, the Billy Jack series, They Call Me Mister Tibbs (sequel to In the Heat of the Night), Godzilla films...it goes on and on. One can argue there were just as many sequels without any numbering in the title.

The Focus of the last film was Luke ? Lol ! He was in it for about 30 seconds. The story revolved around his unknown whereabouts, not the character.

Still, the entire film either is about searching for Luke, what Luke represents or other characters talking about him. Take that away, and there's not much left in TFA, aside from Rey & Finn's chemistry.

The early-80s were right in the middle of about a 20 year period where most sequels simply had a number or roman numeral attached to them (Godfather, The French Connection, Jaws, Rocky, Superman, Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc.). There were still exceptions of course (the Bond films continued to have completely unique names of course), and there were some numbered movies with by-lines like the Trek movies.

But Star Wars was going definitely bucking the Hollywood trend at the time by not simply calling itself Star Wars II and leaving it at that.

More than exceptions. Other film sequels with no roman numeral: Planet of the Apes series, Hammer's Dracula & Frankenstein films, AIP's Doctor Phibes / Count Yorga / Blacula movies, the Billy Jack series, They Call Me Mister Tibbs (sequel to In the Heat of the Night), Godzilla films...it goes on and on. One can argue there were just as many sequels without any numbering in the title.

All of those predate the oldest film on my list (The Godfather: Part II). Only the Billy Jack (barely) and Godzilla films would continue in that era, and the "Godzilla vs. ___" naming convention was well established.

So, I'm on solid ground with the historical accuracy. Uniquely named sequels suddenly went out of style in favor of numbered sequels around the time The Godfather: Part II came out and would be the conventional way that Hollywood named its sequels for about 20 years.

My guess on the title is this:

They are purposefully the last Jedi. Luke agrees to train Rey on the condition that it ends with them. They have to defeat Snoke and Kylo so he will train her to that purpose. However between his father and nephew he has seen the corrosive power of the dark side up close and personal and believes that the power of The Force is too great for many to handle.

So he trains Rey, they are The Last Jedi, it ends with them, There will be no more Jedi.

At least according to Luke, weather that lasts or not is up for grabs.

All of those predate the oldest film on my list (The Godfather: Part II). Only the Billy Jack (barely) and Godzilla films would continue in that era, and the "Godzilla vs. ___" naming convention was well established.

So, I'm on solid ground with the historical accuracy. Uniquely named sequels suddenly went out of style in favor of numbered sequels around the time The Godfather: Part II came out and would be the conventional way that Hollywood named its sequels for about 20 years.

Post Godfather II sequels not using numbered titles?

• Indiana Jones
  • the Next Generation Trek films
  • Lord of the Rings / Hobbit
  • Fifty Shades series
  • Rock n Roll High School Forever
  • Nolan's Batman trilogy
  • MCU's Captain America, Thor, & Avengers films
  • Harry Potter series
  • Dirty Harry series (3 released after Godfather II)
  • Underworld series
  • Percy Jackson series
  • Fantastic Four / Rise of the Silver Surfer
  • Vacation series
  • 28 Days / Week Later
  • Resident Evil series
  • JJ Abrams Star Trek series
  • Blade Runner / Blade Runner 2049

Prominent films, low rent sequels--the works over the course of 4 decades, and that's just scratching the surface.

My guess on the title is this:

They are purposefully the last Jedi. Luke agrees to train Rey on the condition that it ends with them. They have to defeat Snoke and Kylo so he will train her to that purpose. However between his father and nephew he has seen the corrosive power of the dark side up close and personal and believes that the power of The Force is too great for many to handle.

So he trains Rey, they are The Last Jedi, it ends with them, There will be no more Jedi.

At least according to Luke, weather that lasts or not is up for grabs.

Interesting take, and it would make sense. It remains to be seen if your Luke plan would cause the balance of the force to shift in yet another direction, but your theory could support the title.

Post Godfather II sequels not using numbered titles?

• Indiana Jones
  • the Next Generation Trek films
  • Lord of the Rings / Hobbit
  • Fifty Shades series
  • Rock n Roll High School Forever
  • Nolan's Batman trilogy
  • MCU's Captain America, Thor, & Avengers films
  • Harry Potter series
  • Dirty Harry series (3 released after Godfather II)
  • Underworld series
  • Percy Jackson series
  • Fantastic Four / Rise of the Silver Surfer
  • Vacation series
  • 28 Days / Week Later
  • Resident Evil series
  • JJ Abrams Star Trek series
  • Blade Runner / Blade Runner 2049

Prominent films, low rent sequels--the works over the course of 4 decades, and that's just scratching the surface.

Almost all of those were released more than 20 years after The Godfather: Part II, which does more to confirm my statement than reject it. If you want to set a point where it started to end, it would probably be with Batman Returns in 1992 after which the numbering system slowly fell out of favor.

And before you make another list, I specifically said there were exceptions. I'm commenting on a convention that was popular at a time, not making a hard and fast rule. You're not proving me wrong by listing a few movies that bucked the trend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.