EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

There is the whole force ghost thing but limits how they can use the character. Killing all three is a little too predictable as well, it'd be nice if the twist to the new trilogy is Luke surviving.

Maybe Luke finds a way of transcending to the force ghost world without actually dying? Feels like they wanna do something big here. f they wanna maintain the fantasy of SW, feel they gotta do a better job than they did n TFA. The rumors that Luke destroys a Star Destroyer all on his own using the force is a good start, but I wanna see the spirit realm evolve to a level we haven't seen before. To me its gotta be more than just they found a way to communicate from the afterlife. i wanna see some omniscience while Luke is still alive..

I had a thought that maybe they were going to do a movie each for the three returning stars. Episode VII was very Han centric. They could have done one with Leia and one with Luke.

Not gonna happen though and certainly not since we lost Carrie :(

I hope Luke survives. Nevermind that he--after 7 films--remains the most compelling SW character by far, but if he dies, the leeching from ANH (again) only makes the new series seem like a shell with no purpose / heart of its own. It was bad enough when TPM pulled that with Jinn--right down to a Sith cutting him down & the screaming "no!" from the apprentice, so it does not need to be ripped yet again.

...and screw that "tone poem" crap Lucas offered as an excuse for copy+pasting OT plot points. I can only hope for an original plot for 8 & 9. A mentor does not have to die in order for the apprentice to come into their own--or advance the conflict in a story.

• 2 weeks later...

...and screw that "tone poem" crap Lucas offered as an excuse for copy+pasting OT plot points. I can only hope for an original plot for 8 & 9. A mentor does not have to die in order for the apprentice to come into their own--or advance the conflict in a story.

I agree with the repetitive themes. And I see your point about the mentor not required to die, and I don't disagree. The thing is, while he doesn't have to die, I do think he DOES have to eventually "get out of the way" of the main characters, and especially now that Rey is becoming more powerful. It sounds like he is going to be pretty front-and-center in Last Jedi. He's pretty much expected to kick some ass; he's Luke Mother Effing Skywalker. But his character needs to somehow get out of the way and make room for the true leads. Killing him off in some badass way is a pretty good way to do that, although (like you said) it's been done a million times before.

A alternative to that: Luke is basically the wise old man at the top of the mountain. He's Merlin. His character has transcended to the level where he doesn't belong on ground-zero in the thick of it. That's where Rey, Poe, and Finn belong. After his big scene/scenes in Last Jedi, the wise old wizard should return to his magical floating castle in the clouds or whatever Star Warsy equivalent to that would be. Rey should only visit him for counsel, but he shouldn't embark on any more adventures with her. He's getting too old for that sort of thing. He should be used very sparingly, but his words should have great impact.

On a side note, I've got a minor concern about Chewie, and now that one half of the dynamic duo is gone. I have a feeling it's going to be weird if its going to be Rey and Chewie together.

If you kill off Batman, you can't just stick Robin with Wonderwoman and expect the same kind of chemistry.

Luke is basically the wise old man at the top of the mountain. He's Merlin. His character has transcended to the level where he doesn't belong on ground-zero in the thick of it. Rey should only visit him for counsel, but he shouldn't embark on any more adventures with her. He's getting too old for that sort of thing. He should be used very sparingly, but his words should have great impact.

If only GL had realized this was true of Yoda in the PT as well and not had him flipping and jumping around with a lightsaber. I'd take a dozen Jar Jars over that.

Agree with your post 100% btw.

Luke is basically the wise old man at the top of the mountain. He's Merlin. His character has transcended to the level where he doesn't belong on ground-zero in the thick of it. Rey should only visit him for counsel, but he shouldn't embark on any more adventures with her. He's getting too old for that sort of thing. He should be used very sparingly, but his words should have great impact.

If only GL had realized this was true of Yoda in the PT as well and not had him flipping and jumping around with a lightsaber. I'd take a dozen Jar Jars over that.

Agree with your post 100% btw.

Well i sorta see it as the cats outta the bag so Luke has to show hes still got it like yoda did in ROTS.

If Luke is just gonna be like a monk on a mountain giving advice he can easily do that as a ghost. Plus for story purposes would make it easier in that he could just show up whenever rather than having to write Rey actually going to see him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.