Yahoo reporting Obi-Wan Stand alone movie.

Darth Palpatine

That's something that never sat right with me neither. Vader never went once to visit Owen and Beru. But then again, why would he? There really is enough grey area there were we don't know what Anakin discussed with Obi-wan about the Lars homestead, and when exactly he found out/realized that his kid was still alive. Did he only find out when Luke blew up the Death Star and the name Skywalker was floating around the Galaxy? Why would Vader visit his step-brother, especially since their only connection, Shmi, was dead?

Remember, Bail Organa went a long time keeping secret the location of Obi-wan and Luke. He went living a long time with the Empire ruling the galaxy. Did he openly rebel? Did Vader and The Emperor have to practice diplomacy and in a way fear the royal family of Alderaan? Remember how politely Vader addressed Princess Leia when drilling her for the Death Star plans. I would love more insight.

Does the Death Star travel at light speed? It got to Alderaan so fast but it couldn't reach around to blow up Yavin in time.

Perhaps Vader never returned, willingly, to Tatooine because he couldn't bear to face who he was.

Maybe Skywalker is not an uncommon name.

Maybe Leia was hid more thoroughly because Yoda believed she was the real chosen one or something, to bring back that "there is another" line. Maybe Luke was never meant to be trained, maybe fate Forced the situation.

Well up for this! No reason why he can't have an adventure. He has out Luke in care with the Lars, so whilst he will be in the area to protect him, he doesn't need to be there all the time.

McGregor said he was happy to do a ghost appearance in the new trilogy if needed, so that bodes well for him doing this. This is exciting for me! :-)

Remember how politely Vader addressed Princess Leia when drilling her for the Death Star plans. I would love more insight.

Not to detract from the topic too much, but I gathered from the politeness thing that it was a form of intimidation. That Vader is so badass, politeness only reaffirms this badassness. Also, he is a Lord, and as such speaks like a lord...that is polite, and well spoken- even to enemies, people he despises, or has no respect for. Being overly polite is a great way to show utter contempt for people. All the Lords and Ladies of the past would've been this way too.

Leia literally spits in the face of evil and yet is compassionate enough to hear the force with no training.

Mon Mothma was shown as a concerned, regal and respected leader.

Beru was shown as the classic strong mother.

Shmi perseveres in the face of fate taking her only child from her, with being stepped on and used as a slave, she displays amazing wisdom and strength. In her final moments she is shown living in brutal POW conditions, for lengths that all said she could not survive. If only the Jedi had listened to Anakin, that's the tragedy in this event.

Padme was wise beyond her years and strong, up until being consumed by her relationship with Anakin. A flaw shared by and that destroys Anakin as well.

All of Padme's handmaidens are shown as competent guardians.

Queen Jamillia is wise and patient.

Aayla the Jedi Apprentice is shown as competent.

Adi the Jedi Master is on the Council.

It is a myth that Star Wars doesn't show strong /or complex female personalities. A myth which is fueled by the surface analysis of the film series focusing on the male demographic and obviously male fantasy roles.

You can argue that the star roles are male and that is of course true, if you ignore Leia and Padme. You can argue that Padme is weak because [insert list] and that is fair, but it also ignores the turmoil she goes thru both emotional and physical at the end. You can argue that the Star Wars idea of strong women is just make them bitchy but that ignores all other aspects of Leia's character and ignores all other females in the films.

Afterthought: The Marvelverse's Black Widow is applauded, but she is hollow in comparison to the depth of Leia and even the emotional complexity, arguably flawed and cautionary which is displayed in Padme's fall from power. We can't have it both ways, either we fully acknowledge the characters or we exhibit our own enlightened prejudice by washing over what does exist in order to make a point there wasn't a starring female Jedi of whom the story revolved around.

Look... the OT was tightly focused on Luke, the prequels blew, the dialogue sucks in more cases than it doesn't across the saga, the prequel pacing was bi-polar, but the core concepts throughout are just fine. Our dislike of what we got clouds our perception of what is there regardless of the trappings.

Yeah, Star Wars doesn't have a woman problem. I mean, look at all those huge complex characters you listed in one post. Like Aayla Secura, who doesn't talk and isn't even named in the movie. (She originated in the EU.)

Leia is great. But she's one character.

No, Padme doesn't count. She was queen of a planet but dies of a ****ing broken heart. She's also the only woman who speaks in Revenge of the Sith. And she dies.

But there's no problem at all.

Maybe we see what we want to see.

My wife adores the varied characters I highlighted regardless of screentime or end game, my wife also defends TOS Uhura and other like characters. I used to sound the feminist drum against my beloved fiction until my wife said otherwise. My wife is a strong woman, outside observers have even thought she's strong up to the point of me being under her thumb. I guess it's all dependent on our point of views.

Once again I feel compelled to point out people are comparing Apples and Oranges. Star Wars on film has terrible female characters on screen. Even Leia is relatively one-note as her "strong" is written more or less as "bitchy."

The EU absolutely deserves credit for developing more interesting female characters regardless of the quality of said stories which is a matter of opinion.

That said, Disney axing the EU for the sake of simplifying the new movie(s) doesn't mean they are going to rip it off because we see surface similarities years away from the actual product. It was de-canoned because everything had been done, and not always done well and it gave them no space to make movies.

Star Wars was a movie franchise first and foremost, and more people are interested in seeing more movies than reading more books.

Maybe we see what we want to see.

My wife adores the varied characters I highlighted regardless of screentime or end game, my wife also defends TOS Uhura and other like characters. I used to sound the feminist drum against my beloved fiction until my wife said otherwise. My wife is a strong woman, outside observers have even thought she's strong up to the point of me being under her thumb. I guess it's all dependent on our point of views.

I appreciate Star Wars' female characters (except for Padme). There just aren't enough of them.

Thankfully, John Jackson Miller has started the "new" EU with a pretty diverse cast, including a kick-ass Imperial Star Destroyer captain and female stormtroopers. I'm hoping the new films follow suit.

Once again I feel compelled to point out people are comparing Apples and Oranges. Star Wars on film has terrible female characters on screen. Even Leia is relatively one-note as her "strong" is written more or less as "bitchy."

The EU absolutely deserves credit for developing more interesting female characters regardless of the quality of said stories which is a matter of opinion.

That said, Disney axing the EU for the sake of simplifying the new movie(s) doesn't mean they are going to rip it off because we see surface similarities years away from the actual product. It was de-canoned because everything had been done, and not always done well and it gave them no space to make movies.

Star Wars was a movie franchise first and foremost, and more people are interested in seeing more movies than reading more books.

Agree, best post I have read here in some time.

I appreciate Star Wars' female characters (except for Padme). There just aren't enough of them.

Thankfully, John Jackson Miller has started the "new" EU with a pretty diverse cast, including a kick-ass Imperial Star Destroyer captain and female stormtroopers. I'm hoping the new films follow suit.

His new book was literally--I am not exaggerating this--the worst selling Star Wars book of all time. Worse than the steaming piles produced by Kevin J. Anderson back in the day. Del Ray was warned, but the chose not to listen.

This "new EU" is off to a bad start so far. People who read the books are interested in Legends. They need to continue Legends. Legends will sell. Those interested in only the movies will watch only the movies; those interested in other media are mostly invested in Legends. Give us Legends!

If the rumors about how JJ made demands about Star Trek merchandise is true then the idea that Legends stuff will get big pushes will never happen. Apparently JJ demanded, rationalized that for the Star Trek reboot to work you can't make merchandise of the original stuff. Apparently there was a major fight within the suits/licensees about it. I have no sources, sorry, just memories of stuff I read about years ago. Grain of salt, as always with things like this.

Female Characters:

It's a very strong argument to show that the EU fleshed out and provided more females roles. However the examples I gave were from the films.

Mara mentioned Aayla isn't named, true, but she is there doing her stuff. I'm not saying, "Awesome role!!!! The pinnacle of strong female characters!!!" Just that the implication of her is a strong one. We can bemoan she dies, but news flash: people die.

Padme falls to her relationship just as Anakin does, is he the worst male character ever? Can't Padme be a good person, a strong person who has a fatal flaw which consumes her? Just like her husband? Isn't that the point or a major point of their story? You're supposed to notice they are broken, it's supposed to anger you. You need to yell at the screen, you are witnessing the fork in a persons life and you see the road that should be taken. That is the point. Of course whether the films were quality stuff is a different matter, and we almost all agree they were not.

At what point are we no longer looking at the characters and what they mean and instead checking off an ideal's quota, a demand of what should be in a story? If Padme and Anakin didn't have their faults the story doesn't exist.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.