Yahoo reporting Obi-Wan Stand alone movie.

Darth Palpatine

My biggest problem with Padme, as a "strong woman character" is her death. I never liked the fact that she spent the better part of three movies showing how strong she is, strong convictions, strong will, standing up to evil and willing to risk her life for her belief in democracy. Yet she dies of a broken heart after becoming a Mother? Not buying it. I believe Lucas intended on her dying as a result of Anakin physically damaging her....but felt, in the end, that as a character he would be harder to redeem if he actually killed Padme, so he changed the story that she died of a broken heart. But that made things worse, in my opinion. Basically three movies showing how strong she is, then when she becomes a Mother, when she is needed the most by her own children, she simply gives up on life? Come on.

Yeah THT, I understand what you're getting at, but DP sums my thoughts up pretty well. The implication, intended or not, is that if Padme/women can't live to love/serve/be with her man, then she has no point living at all. The one single line of dialogue undoes almost any previously built-up good.

Or maybe I've been following MJS on twitter too long :D;)

I agree how Padme's death just happened is probably impossible to like or even spin. Not sure anyone could argue for it. I sure as heck won't. :-)

I've seen the Liberty Dies scene and other rebellion stuff. They're not in the movie?! I didn't think I was interested enough to watch the special features. I dislike RotS more than AotC and I really don't like AotC. Fascinating however, in my head those scenes are in the film. I guess I head canoned it so well my focus became my reality... to flip a Qui-Gonism.

I'm really not big on using a recton at all but have to admit, wouldn't be too disappointed if we found out in Episode 7 that Palpatine had poisoned her or used some dark side mojo to kill her that wasn't detectable, so the only assumption they could make was that she died of a broken heart. Makes sense that he would want to kill her and have Anakin think he was the one who did it.

Yeah THT, I understand what you're getting at, but DP sums my thoughts up pretty well. The implication, intended or not, is that if Padme/women can't live to love/serve/be with her man, then she has no point living at all. The one single line of dialogue undoes almost any previously built-up good.

Or maybe I've been following MJS on twitter too long :D;)

My work here is done!

I've seen the Liberty Dies scene and other rebellion stuff. They're not in the movie?! I didn't think I was interested enough to watch the special features.

The Liberty Dies scene is (it's when Palpatine declares himself Emperor), the Delegation of 2,000 stuff is not. Honestly, those scenes are terribly executed, but they (or something like them) were necessary.

I'm really not big on using a recton at all but have to admit, wouldn't be too disappointed if we found out in Episode 7 that Palpatine had poisoned her or used some dark side mojo to kill her that wasn't detectable, so the only assumption they could make was that she died of a broken heart. Makes sense that he would want to kill her and have Anakin think he was the one who did it.

They actually tried to retcon it in one of the Legends books. I think it was the Coruscant Nights series.

Personally, it would've made so much more sense if Padme let herself die in order to save her children. She knew Anakin would keep looking for her. The only way to keep her babies safe is to make him think they were dead. She asks Obi-Wan to watch over them. Boom, problem solved.

Or, she could've lived and raised Leia on Alderaan for a few years, until Vader came looking for her, and then we could've gotten another standalone/series out of that. :p

I just figure that Vader turned her off. Haha. But seriously, Palpy suggests you can will people into living with the force so why couldn't you will them into dying? Maybe Vader unconsciously tapped that aspect, he's choking her, he's raging and then he's done with her, she's an enemy. Boom. That ultimate betrayal moment, in that split second he shut her off, her cells begin failing. Then a little later we get the science over mystical explanation with the Robo-Doctors being all like, "we dunno! Omg! Like why?!"

Or, she could've lived and raised Leia on Alderaan for a few years

Which would make a Hell of a lot of sense because Leia ****ing said straight out she remembered her mother. :/

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

To me Leia's comments in rotj led me to believe that Padme was in her life for a short while. It would have made more sense to let her live in rots, and just never mention her again until Leia says she died when Leia was "very young". No further explanation needed. Or at the very least they should have had a scene where they tell her they need to take the twins and hide them, in effect she would lose both kids. .... THEN it would make sense that she just gives up on life. Democracy is dead, the galaxy is under control, she lost her man and now both kids. I could accept her despair at that point. But knowing she is a mother and still gives up. That's just weak story telling.

Or, she could've lived and raised Leia on Alderaan for a few years

Which would make a Hell of a lot of sense because Leia ****ing said straight out she remembered her mother. :/

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

To me Leia's comments in rotj led me to believe that Padme was in her life for a short while. It would have made more sense to let her live in rots, and just never mention her again until Leia says she died when Leia was "very young". No further explanation needed. Or at the very least they should have had a scene where they tell her they need to take the twins and hide them, in effect she would lose both kids. .... THEN it would make sense that she just gives up on life. Democracy is dead, the galaxy is under control, she lost her man and now both kids. I could accept her despair at that point. But knowing she is a mother and still gives up. That's just weak story telling.

The problem is, Padme surviving the PT too raise her on Alderaan would have made for just as much trouble story-wise. It would have completely unsatisfying for her to die off screen with no explanation.

Not that I need a new platform to complain about what I think should have been done.. BUT... the twins should have been born at the end of episode 2. Everything with Naboo in TPM could have been done in an hour. If Anakin had started as a teen, all the Naboo crap could have led directly to the Geonosis crap in AOTC. The actual story beats from those two films could have been one.

The bulk of ROTS could have been the second movie, with the twins born at the end.

Episode three would have been nice to see as the third act of ROTS expanded to actually see Anakin's turn. If the kids are two or three, already hidden from him, and Padme spent time with Leia-- but THEN left to try and bring Anakin back everything would have locked into place.

BUT NOOOOOOOOO

Not that I need a new platform to complain about what I think should have been done.. BUT... the twins should have been born at the end of episode 2. Everything with Naboo in TPM could have been done in an hour. If Anakin had started as a teen, all the Naboo crap could have led directly to the Geonosis crap in AOTC. The actual story beats from those two films could have been one.

The bulk of ROTS could have been the second movie, with the twins born at the end.

Episode three would have been nice to see as the third act of ROTS expanded to actually see Anakin's turn. If the kids are two or three, already hidden from him, and Padme spent time with Leia-- but THEN left to try and bring Anakin back everything would have locked into place.

BUT NOOOOOOOOO

i think that's what hurts most about the prequels, not how bad they are, but how great they could of been. That would of been perfect.

BUT NOOOOOOOOO

i think that's what hurts most about the prequels, not how bad they are, but how great they could of been. That would of been perfect.

That's exactly it.

For a few years after TPM, I tried hard to convince people (mainly myself) that the reason TPM and AOTC were such a let down was because we weren't kids any more. I tried to reason that I was a kid when ANH, ESB, and ROTJ came out and I was more open to the adventure of it all.....where as by the time TPM came out, I was an adult and much more cynical. I simply couldn't get excited by an adventure movie because I had "grown up". Then, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean, COTBP. It had that same feeling that the OT had, it was silly, it was adventurous, it was sort of a "kids movie". But it made me feel like a kid watching it, the final sword fight...that music, it just made me feel like a kid. It was THAT moment when I realized that the reason I didn't feel like that for TPM and AOTC was because they were simply crappy movies.

Lucas had the chance to really do something, really connect with an older audience who grew up with the movies as well as a new generation...and he missed the mark by quite a bit. Instead of making a fun adventure, he made a commercial for ILM.

I have hope for what these new film makers can do, they grew up with Star Wars like we did...they are fans like we are. They were most likely disappointed by the PT like we were.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.