Yahoo reporting Obi-Wan Stand alone movie.

Darth Palpatine

According to the story, LF and Disney is looking at an Obi-Wan movie because he was voted the most popular character in a sw.com poll. The story went on to say they don't want any stand alone movies taking place during the two series, so it could take place between the two series with Ewan possibly reprising his role.

Sounds interesting, but I wonder how that could be done. With Yoda in exile, no jedi council to answer to, and assuming he was watching over Luke the whole time, what could the movie possibly be about? He isn't training anybody, there isn't anybody to fight. My only thought could be him keeping tabs on what is going on in the galaxy, finds out Anakin/Vader is alive and hunting down jedi. He goes on a kind of investigating "crusade" to find and turn or kill Vader. They meet, Obi-Wan tries to turn Vader, they fight to a draw. It could fit because technically he didn't know Anakin survived, they didn't hide the twins from him. Plus it would put more significance on some aspects of the ot, like "Obi-Wan once thought as you do.". It could also explain how Obi-Wan knew so much about Vader, since the last time we know they saw each other he was a burnt torso, now he knows he's more machine than man.

Just spit balling.

What pops into my head-- and after a quick pop around the internet, apparently a lot of other people's heads, is a very stripped down simple moral tale. All on Tatooine, wanderer/outlaw Ben Kenobi. Basically, The Good The Bad The Ugly, or a Fistfull of Dollars.

I've always thought that idea would rule ever since I saw this thing:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7953dd5c6812c89c57b4fdab55a6fb02/tumblr_migbq9x3c31s5sopco4_r1_1280.jpg

I love that thing. looks like a desert wanderer, has his Clone Wars armor, Qui-Gon and Anakin's sabers... just picture this Obi_wan wandering the desert righting wrongs.

McGregor would come back in a heartbeat-- he's a great actor and was perfectly cast as Obi_wan and was let down by the material. I bet he'd love to do it up right.

What pops into my head-- and after a quick pop around the internet, apparently a lot of other people's heads, is a very stripped down simple moral tale. All on Tatooine, wanderer/outlaw Ben Kenobi. Basically, The Good The Bad The Ugly, or a Fistfull of Dollars.

I've always thought that idea would rule ever since I saw this thing:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7953dd5c6812c89c57b4fdab55a6fb02/tumblr_migbq9x3c31s5sopco4_r1_1280.jpg

I love that thing. looks like a desert wanderer, has his Clone Wars armor, Qui-Gon and Anakin's sabers... just picture this Obi_wan wandering the desert righting wrongs.

McGregor would come back in a heartbeat-- he's a great actor and was perfectly cast as Obi_wan and was let down by the material. I bet he'd love to do it up right.

That is a strong possibility, focusing on Obi Wan instead of focusing on his role in the galaxy. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy a movie like that, as I'm more of a fan of the "Star Wars story" than anything else. But it sounds interesting, nonetheless.

Yeah, I think the whole point of the stand-alone films is to do things that are narratively or tonally different from the saga. The saga films have to stay the same tone otherwise it isn't right-- these digressions are a way to play with the mythos in different ways I think.

Id deffo be more into an Obi-Wan standalone western, the idea of that has got me much more interested than a Boba-Fett standalone. Unless Fett is the primary antagonist (boss) in said Obi-Wan Western. But that probably wouldn't work cause Fett would have to survive the film and audiences wouldn't want an antagonist that lives. Maybe.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have long hoped for an Obi Wan standalone movie based between ROTS and ANH. This is awesome news and hope it is true. McGregor's Obi wan portrayal was THE highlight of the PT, and he was the only character who was on par with the original cast, as far as I am concerned. In fact, while I love the OT, I think I may actually want to see an obi Wan movie more than an Episode 7, though I will see both.

I'll take a Good, Bad and the Ugly-Star Wars style for sure. But I think Fett deserves his own movie. No Obi-VS-Fett, please. Now, Obi VS Cody, hmmm that could be interesting. But I personally think an Obi Wan movie would be a great way to introduce a live action Cad Bane if you want to channel some spaghetti westerns. And if done right, I see no reason why we would only have to have just a single Obi Wan movie, either. There could easily be a trilogy on Obi Wan...hell, reuse some of those cancelled Star Wars 1313 or Star Wars Underworld ideas! I'd much rather see that than Young Han Solo or Young Yoda.

One last thing i would like to see is a Qui Gon cameo...after all these are the years that Obi Wan was supposedly learning about how to commune with the living force and his old master, and ROTS teased us with that idea.

If they set it on Tatooine and maybe involved Owen Lars somehow into the story, that could make it interesting. From memory, he seemed to know a bit more about Obi Wan than what we saw at the end of Episode 3, so maybe this will show us how Old Ben got his reputation on Tatooine. I mean you can already explain why Owen thinks Obi Wan is just a crazy old wizard, but it'd be a nice touch to get Joel Edgerton in there as well.

I'd love to see something similar to Lawrence of Arabia.

He's not content with living as a hermit and is haunted by his years as a full Jedi, where he was doing good and making a difference across the galaxy. He tries to do some good under a new personna on Tatooine, perhaps leading a small force to free Hutt slaves. Except his pride and hubris gets the best of him, making him finally realize that waiting to train Anakin's child is in itself a noble pursuit.

Whatever Obi-Wan does I think it has to be low key and/or entirely in the Outer Rim Territories, otherwise it should garner Imperial entanglements.

I think you could have him train with Yoda for a scene, while implying a longer training period. Maybe sent to study by Ghost Qui-Gon.

I think it'd be neat if an older Cody got tied in somehow (maybe he manages to break the control impulse). Bring back Dex too.

Showing how /or saying Cody broke free of the "mind control" allows for future implications for Boba as well... because now you could have justification for Fett surviving the Sarlacc or it wasn't him or it's now a moniker which is impersonated by many etc. Not directly touching on Boba also allows you to not step on the toes of whoever is doing the eventual Boba film (side: which could work as Star Wars: Expendables).

So using Driver's thought:

Obi-Wan the Good, Cody the Bad and Dex the Ugly.

I don't care if it's an old idea or not, I want Kenobi in movie form. The book was wonderful and a movie would be even more so. I mean, just think of it:

Tatooine—a harsh desert world where farmers toil in the heat of two suns while trying to protect themselves and their loved ones from the marauding Tusken Raiders. A backwater planet on the edge of civilized space. And an unlikely place to find a Jedi Master in hiding, or an orphaned infant boy on whose tiny shoulders rests the future of a galaxy.

Known to locals only as “Ben,” the bearded and robed offworlder is an enigmatic stranger who keeps to himself, shares nothing of his past, and goes to great pains to remain an outsider. But as tensions escalate between the farmers and a tribe of Sand People led by a ruthless war chief, Ben finds himself drawn into the fight, endangering the very mission that brought him to Tatooine.

Ben—Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, hero of the Clone Wars, traitor to the Empire, and protector of the galaxy’s last hope—can no more turn his back on evil than he can reject his Jedi training. And when blood is unjustly spilled, innocent lives threatened, and a ruthless opponent unmasked, Ben has no choice but to call on the wisdom of the Jedi—and the formidable power of the Force—in his never-ending fight for justice.

You guys are really getting my hopes up for a movie like this. They haven't even confirmed Ewan coming back.

I agree the Obi-Wan adventure must be something outside fighting the empire or else he'd blow his whole Tatooine cover. Maybe this film is where he decides to dawn the name Ben Kenobi so as to not get discovered.

As long as it's an Obi-wan film! My biggest fear for the stand-alones was (knowing them) it probably was going to be a Jar Jar or an Asoka film.

Also my biggest fear for Oscar-winner Lupita Nyongo and Andy Serkis is they'll be turned into the next Jar Jar and Asoka.

I'll just leave this right here.

MAKE IT SO, KATHLEEN KENNEDY.

Ha! I was just coming here to post the exact same thing. You beat me to it.

So many "fresh and new' ideas these guys at Disney have, huh?

You're criticizing the creativity of the movie's story before anything other than "we're developing an Obi-Wan stand alone movie" has been said? That's impressive, even for Nightly.

Not just this one. Nearly everything they've done so far has been done before. Daisy Ridley's character is shaping up to be a direct ripoff of Jaina Solo.

How could you possibly rush to that judgement, given that there's no official information whatsoever available on her character?

BECAUSE THEY CANCELLED THE EU

And because women didn't exist until the EU created them.

I'm warming up to the idea of an Obi Wan "adventure" outside the given storyline (Anakin, Luke). I guess, being just a movie nerd, I really want to see holes filled within the established story, details, stuff like that. But the more I think about the ideas given here, the more I think it would be a great idea. They could still kind of give more insight into Obi Wan and his personality and motives by giving him his own adventure. Include Owen possibly to better establish the rift between them. Maybe even have him hint at bringing Luke along and Owen standing up to him. I mean the only things we KNOW, based on the movies, is Obi Wan and Yoda wanted to "hide" Luke, and we assume he just watched over him until the time was right. We know that Leia knew where Obi Wan was, so we know that her "Father" knew where he was.

I guess those are the questions I think a movie could still answer. Exactly what was Obi Wan (and Yoda's) plans with Luke were? Why was Leia going to contact Obi Wan in the first place? Was there a master plan? Why was Owen so against Luke coming into contact with Obi Wan? Why "hide" Luke on his Father's home planet and keep his name Skywalker? That never sat right with me. I mean they clearly hid Leia better, changed her name, sent her to a planet and Obi Wan never planned on Leia playing an important role....that seemed to be more Yoda. Where as Luke kept his name and not only did he go to the home planet of his Father, he went to live in his Grandmother's last known address, a home where his Father actually visited. I mean if someone was hiding me, I would hope they didn't keep my name and have me go live with a family member at my Grandparents house.

So maybe a "best of both worlds" type. Have Obi Wan go on some kind of adventure that doesn't really fit into the saga story line, but maybe answer some questions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.