new PC

So I'm archaic as hell and still enjoy and prefer the desktop experience to using a laptop or tablet. The PC I have was built by a friend about 6 years ago. It's still working pretty well for the most part, not really much to complain about, but it's feeling like time to upgrade. I mostly use it as an internet machine and to write (I've been saying for a year now I'm gonna start a new project soon, and I swear I am), but with my son playing more and more on the PS4, I've started getting some interest in playing games again.

But I don't need a full on gaming machine. I'm not gonna play THAT much. His number one game is Fortnite and it's fun watching him play, to the point he's gotten me to play a handful of rounds (even a relatively simple game like this, though, is way beyond the SNES, which is the last system I really gamed out on). There are a few other games I'm interested in too, but one of the driving forces of this is he really wants us to play as a team, which you can't do on one console.

I know there are more tech savvy people on here than me--my knowledge of up to date computer specs is about two decades out of date now. I definitely don't need anything top of the line, but something that'll be able to handle a handful of gaming from time to time. Any advice/tips? If it helps, my brother in law works for Dell and can likely get me a discount if I buy through them. No idea if Dells are even considered good anymore, though.

Probably premade. I’m capable of building one if I knew the right parts to get—no clue how to pick motherboards or video cards these days, though, or how to choose a case they’d all fit in, etc. It’s probably cheaper to go that route though, isn’t it?

So I'm not a huge gamer. Dell did buy Alienware, though. And while the reputation has fallen a bit because of that, when I Google best gaming desktops, the Alienware Aurora series pops up a lot. I mean, honestly as long as you don't live on the thing, it's probably fine for what you want to do.

We just bought a new laptop because my kids think they will be YouTubers and want to make videos. Haven't done shit with it yet lol.

Mine is going to be 5 years old in a few months, so I'm starting to think about this, too. I built this one but now I'm too lazy to put another together LOL, I just want to unbox and log in.

I’ve built my last 5 PCs. My latest was a $420 upgrade from a i9-9900K to a 12900K. I ended up selling the old CPU/motherboard, RAM and an old AIO for $350 to my brother.

I’m so fortunate to have a nearby MicroCenter.

I've been eying the Aurora too. It would be replacing my elderly Mac desktop and my very hated gaming laptop. The only thing that's currently holding me back is that I'm still hesitant to commit to a full time desktop rig because I do like to drag the laptop out onto the patio and play ffxiv outside on nice evenings.

On 2/18/2024 at 8:37 PM, Gamevet said:

Here's a the decent Alienware Aurora 16. I think that the Power Supply is a bit weak and only having 16GB of RAM is behind the times. It's $1179 and a decent 1080p rig.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-r16-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r16-desktop/useahctor16i11

Agreed, the 16 GB RAM is a bit low, but RAM is cheap these days and an easy install.  Since you are looking to get a whole new computer, Jacob, the Aurora looks (on paper) to be a good rig.  

If it was me, and my desktop was working fine still, and as long as the PC can run Windows 11, I would consider just upgrading the graphics card to one that will run the games you play, the RAM,  and possibly the power supply.   This is assuming you are using an M.2 or SSD for a boot drive.  If you have a mechanical hard drive, might as well just get a new computer, though.  

I plan to try a Best Buy outlet tomorrow. The blue screen of death will eat my lunch or tax return but my last computer lasted from 2018 I think and I bought it as an out of box special at Best Buy. Current set up at home and school is my school issued tablet with a Magic Keyboard, I splurged and bought the Apple Pencil and love it! But I want my home computers LARGE monitor I bought a year ago as it’s much easier to multitask,. I know I want a desk top. That’s about it.

8 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I plan to try a Best Buy outlet tomorrow. The blue screen of death will eat my lunch or tax return but my last computer lasted from 2018 I think and I bought it as an out of box special at Best Buy. Current set up at home and school is my school issued tablet with a Magic Keyboard, I splurged and bought the Apple Pencil and love it! But I want my home computers LARGE monitor I bought a year ago as it’s much easier to multitask,. I know I want a desk top. That’s about it.

Funny, I dropped by the Best Buy Outlet near my office earlier today. I saw a couple of PCs for under $300 and then I noticed that both of them only had 8GB of RAM. I would steer clear of that.

They had some really nice displays though. I saw a 32” 1440p 165 Hz UHD display for $250.

Why didn’t I get the pencil for my iPad sooner? OMG it makes it so easy to grade papers on my iPad until I get my new computer.

Sooooo if I went to a website to have a computer built to avoid hulk smash anger at building my own where would you go?

I sold my old RTX 3060Ti for $240 to a guy through Craigslist about a week ago. I got a text from the guy a day or 2 ago, being very thankful for selling the card to him. I gave him a really good deal, considering that the card was $650 two years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.