Christmas Buying

monkeygirl

So, this will be my first tropical Christmas as a resident and I'm not feeling it yet. I bought a tree (artificial, lighted) on craigslist but am totally unmotivated to decorate it. My friends here and some back in Seattle are in the same boat as I am; we really don't want more 'stuff' and don't have the money to buy experiences so we made a deal for no presents and we just get together and go out instead.

There are no kids in my immediate life so I have nobody to buy presents for this year. Wrapping and displaying gifts used to be one of my favorite parts of the holidays. I should be psyched that his leaves me with money to do nothing but decorate but like three people will see it so it seems like too big of a bother. Decorating means keeping it all dusted, too then I'd have to stow it all nicely again and my storage closet is like a Jenga game.

What are you spending money on this holiday? I wonder if I'm in a space or I'm just getting older and the holiday is losing its glitter for me.

I think we go through this kinda funk after we lose someone dear to us. I haven't felt it since Tina passed away. I was going to put up the tree this weekend but meh. I went shopping and spent 100$ on socks! I did buy some fun shoes (Allbirds in pink normally $120 and they were on sale for $23.00) for me and under pantz and bras (OMG Macy's had bras for $16.99 and they weren't the crappy ones). I think I'm working on shop therapy but instead of spending on others I did it for me.

We exchange names in my family so we just have to buy for the person we exchanged names for and you write the things you want or make sure your Amazon Wishlist is updated.  I asked for a crock pot and a dutch oven to replace some worn out stuff I had been using. I'm fixing to start crafting hopefully so that may help the funk. I just don't want to force it. Also as another funny aside I asked for socks on my wish list and then went out and brought me some fun ones this weekend. LOL.

I look forward to singing the Christmas concert for church every year. This year we're going caroling to nursing homes. I'm singing at both Christmas Eve services too. I plan to spike the apple cider because I hate egg nog.

More than likely I am about to spend $5000 to get my Prius fixed. A strut in the front is acting weird and I need a head gasket replaced. I'd rather fix up the Prius than go in debt so I've been saving my dollars for this big expenditure. I'm going to rent a nice car though while it's in the shop getting repaired. 

Giant hugs, Tami. I'm wanting to go East for spring break so I hope to visit you in March and then go to my parents. I have a ham in the oven that's my own personal ham and I'm having little ham sammiches for dinner tonight with some steamed broccoli. I'd invite you over and then we'd go sit in the hot tub. And I would seeth about the neighbor making me take down my bird feeders and forcing the maintenance man to cut my beautiful crepe myrtles which were making a beautiful bird bough. 

Some pics of the new socks:

00000000_zi_b78066ad-1be3-4a5f-b070-1399

So earlier this month I was all about decorating the tree. My family told me to chill until Thanksgiving weekend. And now that it's here... I don't want to. I think I'm in a little bit of a funk because of our upcoming remodel that is going to last 2-3 months starting in February. It's going to restrict us to our bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, the dining room, the office/den, and our small family room. Losing the downstairs bathroom is not a big deal, but losing the kitchen and washer/dryer for so long is going to be rough. So the idea of rearranging the living room to fit the tree does not have a lot of appeal right now. I might move it to the billiard room this year, even though that's not a great spot for opening presents. My husband noticed last night that I seemed off, and the best I could explain was I'm just thinking too much.

However, this year I actually got Christmas cards early because I didn't have to wait until Christmas day to beg everyone for a family picture because a friend who is a realtor set up a bunch of family mini photo sessions this fall. It's an ongoing joke that I do New Years cards because I can't get my shit together for Christmas cards. I stuck with my usual funny theme instead of pretty/nauseating perfect family cards.

So far I've bought all of the kids gifts. I'm going light this year, they have a lot of stuff already, and I can't tell you how much stuff they've never played with. They have their favorite toys and they play with those 90% of the time. E is getting an indoor climbing gym that mounts to a wall. Q got a bedroom makeover and a ski bag. I got my dad some cheap Bluetooth earbuds because he listens to his cheesy Christian worship music on his phone on full blast and the sound quality is TERRIBLE. I also bought us a new desk so I can get rid of this gigantic corner desk that my husband HAD TO HAVE like 7 years ago that is beat to heck because he also had to have a gigantic desk chair that doesn't fit into it and it's beat the desk up so bad and I'm tired of banging the chair every single time I get in and out of the desk. Now that we don't get work from home benefits anymore because our executives are mad about their apparent lack of control over us, we need a smaller desk and we're changing the office back to a den/gaming room/playroom.

Maybe I am in a bit of a grief funk. I've been thinking about my parents a lot lately. I spent Thanksgiving at my cousins and heard many stories, which was nice. I do want to send cards this year but I'd like to buy local and I'm loathe to go out shopping.

I'd love you to visit, Spam! Girl trip is March 7-11th this year. But I live here now, so ... LOVE the new socks!

Nicole, I"m impressed with your shopping so far

I gave up on Christmas. I live alone with two cats, I'm tired of putting up decorations and then having to find someplace to store them when they're not up. That's a big issue when you live in a small apartment, there's no place to store seasonal decor. I saved a few that I really like, and I keep those up all the time, because why not? Most of them aren't really Christmas-y, they're just sparkly things I made to hang up and enjoy. I'm nearly 60, I don't need a lot of stuff, anyway, time to downsize. Did anyone here go shopping on Black Friday? I never do, but I hear there wasn't much of a turnout anywhere this year. There are no deals anymore, some stores literally put sale signs up that are the same as the original price! I don't think many people feel the need for big-screen TVs and new gaming systems when they can barely afford groceries. 

I always buy an Arcade 1Up cabinet for Christmas.  They usually put some up for sale, so I bought the Marvel vs. Capcom table style cabinet.  The Star Wars cabinet wasn't on sale but I bought it as well because they're kinda hard to find.

My kids are sneaker freaks and Finish Line had some decent deals on Black Friday.  I got them all new pairs of New Balance 650s for 50 bucks.

My kiddos are all adults (oldest is 24, youngest is 20) but I still like to spoil them on Christmas.  It's more for me, now, than it is for them.  

Most of my time spent here was when they were toddlers and I'd put them to bed for the night.  Damn.

Forget Christmas, I have to buy a birthday present.  When I mentioned my youngest being 20, his birthday is actually Monday.  I'm thinking of buying him Foo Fighters tickets.  But, the concert in Cincinnati is sold out and the cheapest third party tickets are $159.  Holy hell.

I have a first world problem. How do I get my Boomer dad to stop buying not just 1, but 2 proof sets every fucking year for my kids? They do not collect coins. They don't collect shit other than art supplies. I've tried to tell him it's just clutter, that it just goes into a box, that it's not actually worth what he pays for it. The man won't stop. He is convinced crap like will be worth something, especially if you have a lot of it, and he loves collecting junk.

What is it with old people and coins? 

My grandma bought a roll of quarters every year for christmas to give her great grandsons. It caused all kinds of grief because it was given to kids loose in a sock that were toddlers. At christmas it was all who has the sock full of quarters? then it'd get put up because of choking hazzards. I once offered to get piggy banks for her to gift the great grand children but that was a heckin' nope. It was always a roll of open quarters in a balled up used sock.

It made her happy so we stopped stopping her from this because it was a round of circle talk and she'd still do it even though two days before she'd said well I understand a kid that's two may want to eat this maybe I should get a rattle? Then Christmas day she'd grin and under the tree would be a balled up black sock that ching chinged. It was okay as long as it was taken away shortly after unwrapping so we'd not worry about kids going to emergency rooms on Christmas but later it got funnier.

She'd give them these quarters in a tube sock and boys being 10 year oldish boys would use them as weapons. 

Thankfully she passed away but god, old people and their coins. I also inherited a lot of weird travel videos and those "PRICELESS" statues that were bought from the Franklin Mint that were thanked for and oh what a memory and dumped off at Goodwill drop off that day because some other relative was super sappy about parting with such meaningful dodgy old readers digest sales schlock.

So the secret I learned dealing with certain people was to agree with the dementia stroke weirdness and then let it happen. Like if they said the sky was green I'd say yes it is and then move on because it was less frustrating than arguing the point.

On 11/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, Zathras said:

So far, my x-mas shopping has been for....ME!  

I got these babies on sale for my car, along with other engine parts:

https://www.edelbrock.com/small-block-chevy-e-street-cylinder-heads-64cc-5089.html

Totally dumb and I almost regret the purchase, but screw it.  You only live once, right?!

I know absolutely nothing about automobiles, so I'm going to assume these make your car fly. :yes:

Boomer problems part 2:

Earlier this week my dad sends me a big list of options for the kids and us and asks for my advice. On one hand, please stop making me do it for you, I've already given you a list to pick from. On the other hand, he is actually pretty bad at picking out gifts. (Last year he was going to buy me a Princess Peach Halloween costume I had put on there as a Halloween idea. No Dad, just no.) He wanted to buy E an alarm clock that was on there, but it was out of stock. So I wrote him back to tell him that it was now in stock. He missed it and texted me some other suggestions that were similar. I explained that what E really wanted was an alarm clock, not a wall clock, and it needed to be battery powered and not USB powered because the USBs are short and the plug is not close to his bed. So then he found other sketch places to buy it for a much higher price. I told him chill, there's 20 days until Christmas, it will come back in stock.

My mother-in-law emails me this morning, asking for the 428th time for a link to the Amazon wishlists so she can buy presents. I go check the lists to make sure there is still decent stuff on there to buy. It's a little picked over but that's not my problem, and my MIL is notorious for not buying what's on the list anyway because she doesn't like the same things as the kids. (You don't say.) So she sends me her confirmation email and she just decided to buy a different alarm clock that is USB powered. Lady BUY SOMETHING ELSE OFF THE DAMN LIST.

Oh my god my parents do the exact same shit with Amazon lists. Every birthday, every Christmas, it's a brand new concept. I'd give my mom a pass on this because of the dementia, but my dad, I swear to god... he works as hard as he can to make everything as difficult as possible. Just bookmark the damn lists, or add them to your profile, the way I've shown you every single birthday/Christmas since they were born.

Also, I absolutely hate the idea of not buying someone a gift that's on their list/what they tell you they want, and instead buying them what you want to give them. The point of giving a gift is supposed to be about making the recipient happy. Buy them what they fucking want, then, even if it's something you don't like/care about. My brother likes video games and anime and table top games. None of that is for me. But it's on his list, and I buy him it because it'll make HIM happy. That's the goddamn point! This rant is only partially inspired by the fact that virtually no one in my life ever buys shit for me off my list.

My MIL has bought Q clothes that are so painfully ugly that it's been comical. She wants Q to be her mini me so bad and Q is my little jock girl who lives in t-shirts and adidas soccer training pants. I definitely didn't dress her frilly when she was little because she was at daycare and rough and tumble and tearing holes in the knees (she's 12 and still gets rips in the knee). So we never did the Princess dress theme other than Christmas dresses for choir concerts. So a couple of times she bought her old lady outfits with roses and cardigans and shit in toddler sizes and Q was so glad they didn't fit.

Otherwise, she did buy stuff on the list this year. But it looks like the alarm clock is arriving tomorrow so I will have to return that myself and get a credit. I did put some funny stuff on there like a back scratcher. He's a funny kid, he likes weird stuff. And all the Boomer grandparents are staying away from anything video game related because video games are the devil even though that's what he likes.

2 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

You guys are making me happy I don't have to deal with family and Christmas buying.

You and me both. I have no close relatives, just a few cousins scattered here and there, and no idea what to get them even if I wanted to. I really don't do Christmas anymore, anyway. Kinda pointless, since I live alone, and my two cats don't care.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.