The Let's Bitch About Work Thread!

Iceheart

Yeah, a friend of mine took it up to learn the escrow/financing side of the market last year when he got laid off thinking he could start his own business in Austin. It didn't work out so good for him but if you have a good attention to detail I'd recommend that. 

In other matters why do I work in a school district that has back to school on January 3 and not one where they're going back next week on January 9. I don't wanna work when it's windy, raining and 48 degrees. *cries* There's mass chaos in my classroom right now because the kids can't go outside and schedules have been out the window for the whole time off.

• 3 months later...

So, I've been frustrated lately. My application package is getting great reviews. I'm told I am one of the strongest candidates my organization has, which has shocked the managament team. I'm trying to drive important, visionary work. Nothing is getting done unless I'm personally working on it. I've tried to set accountability measures up, and the simple fact is no one cares, and no money to make stuff happen out of thin air.

While on vacation, my work bestie texted me about a job opening. I told her hell no. The reason she texted me is because this was my dream job 10 years ago. I asked the guy in the job if he would mentor me, and he told me no. He then started bad mouthing me to all the senior engineers. Finally someone asked my old boss if it was true that I was an idiot, and my boss stood up for me AND came to tell me what was being said behind my back. This guy had run multiple people out of their jobs, including a former mentor. They transferred, got laid off, you name it. He destroyed careers. I said screw it and joined my former mentor in his new organization. After a few years of being bored out of my mind, I went back to my old job, and looked that asshole straight in the eye and told him I was back. He looked legitimately terrified. A few years later COVID hit and he took a voluntary layoff package and retired. Last summer, we heard they were trying to hire him back and like 10 of us banded together and told our director how toxic and useless he was. The director actually listened and refused to listen to the VP who wanted him to hire him back. The VP responded by transferring him to work for her and forced him to hire him back. He's been back, bad mouthing everyone, and I have steadily avoided him. Everyone is furious. Well, I'm not sure if he's getting bored or what, but the VP decided she needs another one of him, and gave my organization a list of names. I was apparently the management team's first choice out of that list. I told them I'd love to take it but I have some serious concerns about working with that guy again, and that I needed the VP to trust me and not listen to this guy shit-talk me. I met with my new director who has my back and wants me to document ANYTHING this guy does. Since he is a consultant, he has to keep his nose clean and if I file a complaint of harassment, he is likely out. I was given discretion to keep my hybrid work schedule (I told them that summer was most of the issue, during the school year it is less of a problem). I am actually really excited about the new position. I've started attending meetings and this is a space that I am very comfortable in. My last role was what you would consider a stretch assignment because I am a mechanical engineer and it had a heavy software focus, which is not my strongest suit. I was never super comfortable there with all the jargon (and honestly I feel like some people were making shit up as they went and no one was calling them on it because they didn't know either). My last concern is my mentor. This was supposed to be his role. However, he's also a victim of this guy, and he's pissed off that VP in the past. He's also an introvert and doesn't like making a big stink. I told management they need to smooth it over with him a little bit because he IS getting screwed and pigeon-holed. He and I kept making eye contact at the office yesterday and he mouthed, "We will talk later," but he was swamped all day. I have a ton of respect for him and I want our working relationship to be intact. I don't think he's mad at me, but he should be mad at the situation.

Also, I'm told my rival's application is not scoring well. He is a former manager who decided to return to engineering because he realized it was more cush and better paying. And because he thought he'd get this role no problem. Turns out that while he can fool management, the technical folks aren't fooled. His biggest ally also left, and with the new director, there's been a massive organizational shakeup, and it's been to my benefit. She is returning a lot of power to the workers and telling her management team to get their crap together, and asking why we do stupid things.

I'm trying not to speak too out of turn, but I've found that working with top-tier scientists and engineers has a lot of pros and a handful of cons. 

There's always a handful who are extremely well over-qualified in their fields and are absolutely brilliant at what they do, but also know that and make sure that everyone else knows that.  It takes some tact and skill to work around immense egos sometimes.  I'm not even talking about any particular area, or even about NASA specifically.  For example, I adore Neil DeGrasse Tyson immensely and still consider him a hero, but he can be a total jackass when it comes to that sort of thing too.

I'm lucky that I'm connected to that realm but am able to keep it at an arm's length at my current position.  I just need to be able to book them for speaking appearances and get enough bullet points from them to effectively communicate it to the public, which keeps me almost completely out of the mix with most potential drama.  It did admittedly take me a bit to learn to navigate it the right way though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.