Kids Watching movies

ShadowDog

Crazy people do crazy things. Sane people do not. Video games and movies don't make people do anything, but they may give them ideas.

False. Playing video games makes me throw down my goddamn controller all the time. Maybe I just suck at video games.

The argument that violent films or video games cause people to do violent shit is retarded and lazy. Looking to find rationalisation for crazy happenings that aren't easy to rationalise. But the simple fact is psychopaths and violent people like film and video games too. Of course the kid who looks up girls skirts and sets animals on fire likes playing GTA. EVERYONE likes playing GTA. But he shouldn't be playing it anyways. It's an R18 game. Ratings on games mean things too you know, parents. Blaming entertainment media for the behaviour of children and adolescents is lazy. This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just the scapegoating of violent and sexual entertainment media annoys the shit out of me. Parent more. Point the finger less.

Crazy people do crazy things. Sane people do not. Video games and movies don't make people do anything, but they may give them ideas.

False. Playing video games makes me throw down my goddamn controller all the time. Maybe I just suck at video games.

Yeh but it doesn't make you try and rocket-jump off the top of your building onto an unsuspecting passer by, rip their arm off with your own hands and beat them to death with it.

The argument that violent films or video games cause people to do violent **** is retarded and lazy

Not really. One need only point to classic Bandura Bobo doll experiments that anyone who took Psych 101 knows about to make a rational argument that being rewarded throughout youth for violent behavior might cause detrimental effects.

Yeh but it doesn't make you try and rocket-jump off the top of your building onto an unsuspecting passer by, rip their arm off with your own hands and beat them to death with it.

It doesn't need to. The effect is cumulative among the masses. If you have a million kids who play these games you might have:

700,000 that show no effect whatsoever.

200,000 that are more likely to be surly when they get up in the morning and talk back to their parents and teachers.

50,000 that are more likely to push another child when they say something mean to them.

30,000 that are more likely to engage in minor anti-social crimes such as petty theft.

17,000 that are more likely to engage in more major crimes.

2,999 that are more likely to commit murder.

1 that is more likely to rocket-jump off the top of your building onto an unsuspecting passer by, rip their arm off with your own hands and beat them to death with it.

The argument that violent films or video games cause people to do violent **** is retarded and lazy

Not really. One need only point to classic Bandura Bobo doll experiments that anyone who took Psych 101 knows about to make a rational argument that being rewarded throughout youth for violent behavior might cause detrimental effects.

It doesn't need to. The effect is cumulative among the masses. If you have a million kids who play these games you might have:

700,000 that show no effect whatsoever.

200,000 that are more likely to be surly when they get up in the morning and talk back to their parents and teachers.

50,000 that are more likely to push another child when they say something mean to them.

30,000 that are more likely to engage in minor anti-social crimes such as petty theft.

17,000 that are more likely to engage in more major crimes.

2,999 that are more likely to commit murder.

1 that is more likely to rocket-jump off the top of your building onto an unsuspecting passer by, rip their arm off with your own hands and beat them to death with it.

Of those stats only the first couple have a direct correlation to gaming. That is, directly after gaming people can be more irritable or short tempered. It comes from being exposed to flashing images and putting the brain into "action" mode.

But there is no way to make a direct correlation between gaming and 2,999 to be more likely to commit murder. There are innumerable other reasons for 2,999 children or young adults to be more likely to commit murder than the control figure other than gaming.

For instance exposure to REAL LIFE violence, either within their communities or via domestic abuse for instance. That these children also happen to play violent video games is moot. Yet people time and time again will point to the games as responsible for the direct link to violence, not the fact that Timmy's dad is a drunk asshole who beats his wife who keeps coming back to him time and time again.

The Bobo doll experiment is exposing a child to REAL acts of violence by a REAL human on an inanimate doll. When simulated computerised violence is so realistic it is indistinguishable from real life, then that example might be relevant.

Listen, I'm not condoning 10 year olds play call of duty or Grand Theft Auto V. Ratings are there for a reason. Adult entertainment is for ADULTS. An parents shouldn't let their kids play games with an age rating that is out of their bracket. Not because they're gonna go kill someone after or because it's scarring.. But because they don't need to be exposed to that shit yet. They're kids. They should be outside playing.. Using their imaginations, climbing trees, whatever... And the kid who shoots up a school who happens to listen to death metal and play call of duty zombies 12 hours a day... More questions should be asked of his environment and of the people who are surrounding him and his/her real life influences, not the entertainment media he/she consumes.

There are innumerable other reasons for 2,999 children or young adults to be more likely to commit murder than the control figure other than gaming.

What's your point?

Yes, there are innumerable reasons why people might become violent ranging from a person's upbringing, to their own history of violence, to their brain chemistry, to the their setting, to how much sleep they got last night. Using your logic, only one thing at a time can contribute to a tendency towards violence.

The question isn't whether there are multiple factors in whether someone acts in an anti-social manner. That is known and isn't controversial. The question is whether media violence is but one of those factors.

Ah I just edited my post when you replied. In answer to your question I don think video game violence IS one of those factors. I think that is entirely circumstantial evidence.

It's like saying kids who play with GI Joe dolls or BB guns are more likely to kill someone. It's an easy target.

That's really not the same. Convincing millions of people watching football that they want to buy beer, soda, chips, or a car isn't quite the same as motivating your average Joe Jr. to start running people over for "points". Most Super Bowl ads are simply trying to steer people into buying a certain brand of a product they were very likely to purchase anyway. What if ads were suddenly trying to sell a certain brand of microscope? Do you think millions of people would suddenly run out and want that microscope? Of course not. It's the same with violence. The average kid doesn't have a natural proclivity for violence (they're not going to buy the microscope). Advertising it isn't going to have much of an effect.

This, obviously, doesn't apply uniformly across the board. Those with extreme exposure to violence, those with certain mental illnesses, etc. are going to be more susceptible to fantasy violence as an influence for real violence.

I'm not trying to make a direct analogy-just pointing out how much video images with intent influence humans. I see it sort of like hypnotism; it won't force you into doing something you'd never, ever do but it can be a serious unconscious motivator for unusual or exacerbated behavior. Also, I don't think most people realize just how much they're influenced by advertising. At this time in history, it is ubiquitous so it's tough to realize for most.

Well, for starters, I'm not a wookiee.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.