The future of the "Terminator" franchise is up in the air...

Tangent

Saw this today. I think it was better than the previews made it out to be. Much better than the last 2 movies.

It was fun. Things blew up. Terminators fought other terminators. Terminators walked out of fire. Time travel screwed with everybody's heads. Fun.

Agree with that comment - much better than the last two and worth it for the cleverly done 1984 sequences.

I like a time travel story as much as the next man, but that took the biscuit!

I now see where Matt Smith fits in! Small, but important role!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the odd one out, I thought this was easily the worst in the series so far. Considering how it played out as well, I don't understand why they needed to pick up from T2 and pretend the last two didn't exist - I mean Days of Future Past made it work, no reason a series that deals in time travel can't just make it an alternate timeline.

The casting was totally off - not a slight against the actors, but they looked nothing like their predecessors. They weren't written like them either, they may as well just have been two separate characters. The writing wasn't crash hot either, a whole bunch of this film made no sense (how did he become a T1000? And how come they don't for a minute suspect that a shape shifting Terminator might not actually be Pops?) and to be honest there was no urgency in the story at all.

T3 wasn't anything compared to the first 2, but it had some decent action scenes and had the plot actually wasn't too bad (not the execution mind you) while the worst I could say about Salvation was that it was bland. The movie was probably the best shot of the franchise, looked stunning. . .but there was nothing interesting about the actual story and characters. But one thing I think this movie could have benefited from was having Christian Bale and Anton Yelchin reprising those roles instead of who we got.

That said, Arnie was the one thing I expected to be truly awful about this movie, yet if anything he was the only thing good thing about it. Also didn't help that the last movie I saw in the cinema before this was Fury Road.

The casting was totally off - not a slight against the actors, but they looked nothing like their predecessors. They weren't written like them either, they may as well just have been two separate characters.

Nothing to say about Reese but for Sara the reason could be that the last 11 years of her life were completely different from what she had experienced in the previous timeline. I thought she felt more like her T2 persona than the carefree one she was in the original Terminator.

I'm a mixed bag on it. It was fun and explodey and had robots fighting. That was cool. There were some giant plot holes, but like I said before, I appreciate the multiple timeline angle as it allows them to primarily say that they are working with T1 and T2, but at the same time, give explanation as to how T3, Salvation, and TSCC technically still "happened," just in alternate timelines.

Honestly my biggest problem was the casting. It's hard when John Conner has played by no less than 6 actors, Sarah by 3, and Reese by 4. It's hard to really get consistent characters, and of course we have to constantly compare them to the originals. Reese in this movie was particularly awful. Jai Courtney is so butt ugly, and was beefy enough to be a Terminator himself... and he had some terrible lines.

But at the end of the day, aside from the original, Terminator has always been kind of a mixed bag that is ultimately fun for robot action and explosions, and this movie delivered on that.

• 5 months later...

Make the movies suck less and they'll do better.

I guess I never saw that last Driver reply. See for me the more different actors play iconic characters the easier it is to get into new actors doing them. And you agree because back before NuTrek premiered you said the reason you couldn't get into a new Kirk is because only one person played him for 40 years. I agree. You gotta mix it up before it's too late.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.