The New "What Song Are You Listening To?" Thread

Starchick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From the songwriting and producer's standpoint this is a perfect recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwThVQTNeAo

Twenty men had tried to take him, twenty men had made a slip, twenty one would be the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Martry Robbins was an excellent singer. He executes the western style croon perfectly, and the tight harmonies bring it home predicting the Statler Brothers. The thumping rythmn section keeps the pace as we hear the chilling tale of the stoic Arizona Ranger and his stand against the vicious outlaw Texas Red. The succinct wording never lags for a second and every lyric rings clear with a snappy, tight delay on the production. Clever choices of wording like "Texas Red had not cleared leather 'fore a bullet fairly ripped" quickly paint vivid imagery and the effortless hook sets it far apart from your standard country tune of the time. I love the goofy noodling lead guitar taking a backseat, like some dude in the back of the session is just jamming away. I'm sort of ashamed to say I found this song in a video game. I never took much notice of Marty Robbins before, as I sort of lumped him in with the other 50s and 60s crooners like Hank Snow and Jim Reeves, but I'm going to look more closely at this guy. I actually try not to listen to this song because it ends up on repeat, and then I can't stop...

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.