Theories on what exactly the Knights of Ren are

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not EU. Yoda says it at the end of The Phantom Menace.

No, he did not. Yoda said, "Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." The term "Rule of Two" was 100% an EU invention.
The rule of two was a Lucas invention. He was created for the EU, but was mentioned in TPM novelization first.

The negative consequence is I've wanted to see this in a movie since I was 8 years old:

And I know, I know--you think it would have changed what worked in the PT. But I say SO WHAT! Even if it worked in the PT, there was a way it could have worked better had the ideas been explored more.

It's funny, I never expected to see anything like this in the PT. I actually expected the PT to be very cloak and daggerish with small scale action compared to the OT. Well I guess I expected to see the Clone Wars take place early in them, which I suppose could have taken place in Ep I with II and III being more cloak and dagger.

Basically I kind of expected it to be like Julius Caesar or the first season of "Rome" (which I know is the same story). I actually think it would have been awesome if the attempt on Palpatine's life took place in the Senate rather than in his office with no one around.

Thanks to TFA, my son has rediscovered the OT. He had seen them before-- but after growing up on the Clone Wars cartoon he identified more with the PT. I didn't realize it, but he actually had forgotten a lot of the smaller moments in the OT. He was sucked back in-- and to be honest, it's been awhile since I just sat and watched them without thinking of the PT.

Watching it for the first time in awhile it's still jarring to listen to people talk about the Clone Wars and to picture what the PT showed. It still just doesn't match up for me. What was cool though was just pretending it didn't happen and imagining the possibilities again. I'm sure it's fleeting and I'll go back to anger soon enough.

Also-- side notes. I have no idea what thread it was being discussed in-- but the digital versions of the OT ONLY has the @0th Century Fox logo and fanfare in ANH. ESB and ROTJ are just like TFA-- just the Lucasfilm logo.

Also-- the special edition stuff is nowhere near as anger-making as it used to be. They've done a lot more work on the more contentious shots. Han and Greedo now actually fire at the exact same time. The only things I really disliked were Jedi Rocks and Vader screaming NOOOOO as he picked up the Emperor.

3. The Knights of Ren are all former disaffected Jedi knights from Luke's order, who were led by Kylo Ren, and ended up destroying the Jedi order. Ren could be a place where these Jedi are from, or possibly Ren is a dark side philosophy.

What are your ideas?

That would make Luke look like a total screw-up. Of all characters, Luke knows the dangers of power, temptation, etc., so who else would be the best teacher to prevent most new trainees from losing the path?

3. The Knights of Ren are all former disaffected Jedi knights from Luke's order, who were led by Kylo Ren, and ended up destroying the Jedi order. Ren could be a place where these Jedi are from, or possibly Ren is a dark side philosophy.

What are your ideas?

That would make Luke look like a total screw-up. Of all characters, Luke knows the dangers of power, temptation, etc., so who else would be the best teacher to prevent most new trainees from losing the path?
True, but he had to start over from scratch, and had nobody to help him except perhaps force ghosts. It's such a tall order that failing doesn't make him a total screw-up, IMO.

Jedi Rocks: the musical number in Jabba's Palace

Knights of Ren: I feel like since Kylo was the only one with the saber, maybe they are some non-forcing using evil group of baddy bad bads they Kylo hooked up with. If they were all Luke's failures, (which goes contrary to what Leia and Han say) that would be too much.

I hate, HATE, HAAAATE the fact that they changed the story after ANH about Anakin and Vader. Don't get me wrong-- it worked out for the story, but every plot inconsistency or continuity error can be dismissed with somebody saying it was just "a certain point of view."

Guest El Chalupacabra

Also-- the special edition stuff is nowhere near as anger-making as it used to be. They've done a lot more work on the more contentious shots. Han and Greedo now actually fire at the exact same time. The only things I really disliked were Jedi Rocks and Vader screaming NOOOOO as he picked up the Emperor.

Probably the only changes I actually liked were replacing the Emperor hologram in the 2004 version of TESB with Ian McDiermid, and showing Vader leave cloud city and arrive on the Star Destroyer on his shuttle. I won't be satisfied until we have a relatively unaltered version of the OT on bluray, with video/audio remastering, corrected sound effects and coloring. I really didn't care for all the additional CGI creatures in the various special editions, and in some scenes like Mos Eisley, it just makes the screen look super busy.

Probably the only changes I actually liked were ... and showing Vader leave cloud city and arrive on the Star Destroyer on his shuttle.

Ugh, no, that is the WORST change for the ENTIRE saga!!! "Bring my shuttle" is so, so, SO much better. Cutting to Vader landing on the Star Destroyer completely ruins the pacing of an otherwise perfect

It is the WORST.

Probably the only changes I actually liked were ... and showing Vader leave cloud city and arrive on the Star Destroyer on his shuttle.

Ugh, no, that is the WORST change for the ENTIRE saga!!! "Bring my shuttle" is so, so, SO much better. Cutting to Vader landing on the Star Destroyer completely ruins the pacing of an otherwise perfect

It is the WORST.

I don't have that intense a reaction but it is jarring.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.