Simpsons fires Harry Shearer's ass

ShadowDog

Yeah, but you're in that business without millions of dollars to throw around. If you have the money, and characters that people have been hearing and imitating for 20+ years, it's not going to be as difficult.

It's why Mickey Mouse didn't disappear with Walt Disney, and why Kermit didn't die with Henson. If you have the money, and I've read Shearer was up for $14 million, you can find the talent.

Fozzie makes a good point there. I'm sure Steve Perry thought Journey could never find another singer that sounded like him. Meanwhile, they've had 3, so far.
But Steve Perry left because he vocally couldn't be Steve Perry anymore.

Not true-he quit because he had serious hip problems.

Here's 4 unused Harry Shearer Burns lines:

From episode 13:09 "I remember back in ought-four we ate seal teeth and we liked it!"

Episode 15:20 "I have never seen Homer Simpson before in my life."

Episode 19:14 "Where is my car? Why can I never find my car? ... What? ... Oh yes I'm driving it!"

Episode 22:04 "For the last time Smithers, I'm staying in bed the rest of the year!"

Now cut that together to make a scene. See the problem?

Lines that didn't make the final episode.

Its an interesting creative exercise I've contemplated myself because I've compiled hundreds of hours of vo sessions with 113 different actors since 2010. I've often wondered if I could splice together new audio plays from all this material. It would be a lot of work, mostly on the writing side.

It used to be illegal. It used to be if you voiced something, the client had use of that for only one quarter. If they used old audio, they had to pay your rate each quarter they ran it-but that's commercial copy, not voice acting.

How do you have access to unused Simpsons v/o?

There's examples of it working...

Orson Welles in Transformers the movie, Rod Serling's intro for The Tower of Terror Disney ride, R2D2/Chewbacca in the PT, and there is another really famous example I can't think of.

Not saying it would be easy-- just that with the likely hours upon hours of used or even unused Shearer audio it would be possible if they wanted to pull a total dick move. I'm sure it would cause a legal battle. Technically they own the performances but i'm sure Shearer (and his union) would have something to say about it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, but you're in that business without millions of dollars to throw around. If you have the money, and characters that people have been hearing and imitating for 20+ years, it's not going to be as difficult.

It's why Mickey Mouse didn't disappear with Walt Disney, and why Kermit didn't die with Henson. If you have the money, and I've read Shearer was up for $14 million, you can find the talent.

Fozzie makes a good point there. I'm sure Steve Perry thought Journey could never find another singer that sounded like him. Meanwhile, they've had 3, so far.
But Steve Perry left because he vocally couldn't be Steve Perry anymore.

Not true-he quit because he had serious hip problems.

The second time he left.

The first time was because he was starting a solo career.

There's examples of it working...

Orson Welles in Transformers the movie, Rod Serling's intro for The Tower of Terror Disney ride, R2D2/Chewbacca in the PT, and there is another really famous example I can't think of.

Laurence Olivier in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

Here's 4 unused Harry Shearer Burns lines:

From episode 13:09 "I remember back in ought-four we ate seal teeth and we liked it!"

Episode 15:20 "I have never seen Homer Simpson before in my life."

Episode 19:14 "Where is my car? Why can I never find my car? ... What? ... Oh yes I'm driving it!"

Episode 22:04 "For the last time Smithers, I'm staying in bed the rest of the year!"

Now cut that together to make a scene. See the problem?

Mr. Burns gets dementia.

Plot(s) written.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember complaining that the show hasnt been fresh since season 13. However you watch the newer episodes a 3rd or 4th time and it sticks to you. They start to earn your respect. For example, I dont know if anyone even remembers the character Shauna, but she is freakin hilarious and I never wouldve noticed her if I hadnt given the new episodes another watch.

Simpsons never really lost its touch. Its plain old too many episodes to wrap your head around syndrome that makes people tune out. But that being said, this is the first time I ever felt like the series died. The show is as old as me (26) and I always wondered when will a major actor show up and change the series for good and the answer is today. Maybe Im exagerating maybe itll be the same Simpsons but its really hard to fool

me. This is my whole life we're talking about. Harry Shearer's really important.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.