Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Just rewatched Day of the Doctor cause the kid hadn't seen it. (he loved it)

When we first see the war room on Galifrey, the guy in charge says that the "plans of the high council have failed." SO I think that means, the events with Rassilon and the Master and the taking the planet to Earth has already gone down.

That sets up a nice little sequence then, because it means the 10th Doctor* inadvertently sets up a last ditch scenario for Gallifrey where they are now receptive to The War Doctor's plan.

*This new numbering thing will wreck havoc on convos. I have decided to not change. Tennant is the 10th etc. etc.

Cool to hear that Oliver enjoyed the special, my kids also loved it. My daughter is attached to Matt Smith, of course she is aware the Doctor changes but she has just never been on board when it happens. I'm interested to see how Smith's departure will hit her, she is quite adamant that the Doctor is him and the other guys are "just whatever!"

Oliver watched pretty much the full run since the relaunch in the last year, so he's excited for regenerations. He says Matt Smith is his favorite, but knows he's about up.

And I think that Tennant will always be the tenth, because he was the tenth actor to play the Doctor. That's how I'm thinking it. The ads for the next episode still call Smith the 11th, so...

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting because traditionally, the regeneration is at the end of the episode, damage is done, the story is resolved and its denouement time. Also, the Christmas specials are generally self-contained, not cliffhangers. So, if there's still Daleks trucking around while he's regenerating, it might imply that CapaldiDoc actually hits the ground running and does stuff in this episode aside from just appearing at the end of the regeneration.

Or maybe the current Doc just "holds it in" like the last one did and the Daleks know it.

Exactly - with them being present still at this point, it does give the option of it being a regeneration earlier than we normally see in a final episode. He could be fleeing back to the safety of the Tardis maybe if his main objective is complete I guess.

Also, I wonder who the person is that Clara is talking to off camera, asking for their help...

Not long to go now!

It's interesting because traditionally, the regeneration is at the end of the episode, damage is done, the story is resolved and its denouement time. Also, the Christmas specials are generally self-contained, not cliffhangers.

I'd say The End of TIme pt 1 ended on a pretty massive cliffhanger on Christmas '09. I've always thought they missed a unique opportunity by not having the Doctor regenerate mid-story sometime. I guess the TV movie counts but that was 85% McGann. Also, as a back-door pilot, probably not the best time to have done such a thing.

What a cliffhanger that was! I had to reach down to the floor to pick up my jaw! It seemed a long week of waiting to find out how they were to resolve that one! Agree that he should have changed - that would have been the best kept secret!

With you there about the TV movie - nice to have the history remembered, but too confusing for new people to a show they wanted to relaunch and they wisely avoided that with the Eccleston series.

It's interesting because traditionally, the regeneration is at the end of the episode, damage is done, the story is resolved and its denouement time. Also, the Christmas specials are generally self-contained, not cliffhangers.

I'd say The End of TIme pt 1 ended on a pretty massive cliffhanger on Christmas '09. I've always thought they missed a unique opportunity by not having the Doctor regenerate mid-story sometime. I guess the TV movie counts but that was 85% McGann. Also, as a back-door pilot, probably not the best time to have done such a thing.

Good point-- but we knew we were getting new episodes before long. Capaldi's run doesn't start until March. I guess they've had cliffhangers hang on that long... it's more American to end a season on a cliffhanger, where as the British sensibility is to do it for the mid-season break.

Who knows!

• 2 weeks later...

So that happened.

Sorta felt like Lindelof wrote it... no payoff. Also I'm growing weary of the Doctor "holding on", just die. Sounds harsh, but really the older Doctors would have moments that just happened and boom! Moved on. All this "resetting" and "holding on" to get a hullabaloo ending hurts the moment, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the episode had some wonderful monents. Loved 'Handles'. Granny was neat. Clara's resolve and "grip" was great (would have loved to see that from her POV). The Boy Who Waited was a nice touch.

Everything other than that felt hamfisted and super rushed, almost like the episode was hacked to pieces in post.

Afterthought: In 25 years for DW's 75th anniversary it could be neat if Matt returns in a story featuring the old 11th.

Obviously there were plot holes galore, and inconsistencies, and unanswered questions-- mainly, if they changed the outcome of the battle of adrenal ore, how does Clara become the impossible girl? I could handle retconning Galifrey because removing it from the universe still worked with the timelock stories. But changing the whole reason he found Clara opens up some serious holes.

At the end of the day though I loved some of the monologues Smith had in this episode, so I liked it.

One theory floating around the innarwebs... Tasha Lem.... LEM backwards is...

****ing time travel, that's all in Clara's personal past though, right? How does DW typically handle changing someone's past?

Ok, so if Twelve (right? we're sticking with the original numbering for simplicity's sake?) doesn't remember how to fly the Tardis, are we thinking he won't remember what really happened to Gallifrey?

He could just be confused-- being crazy post regeneration has happened several times.

So I'm digging the Tasha = River theory. There's a familiarity between them, he kisses her, there is an off hand remark about River to remind us about her, the Papal Mainframe sounds like a computer-based society, last we saw River (chronologically) her consciousness was uploaded into a computer, last time we saw River on the show (episode wise) she was a hologram on Trenzalore, Tasha holograms herself everywhere, Tasha knew how to fly the Tardis, River is the only person aside the Doctor we've seen fly it with any skill...

So what I think happened... AFTER she was uploaded into the library computer she later was transferred to the papal mainframe and ultimately became their leader. since the Doctor knew who she was, I'm assuming he had a part in getting her a new body.

The battle of Trenzalore happens, and the Papal Mainframe crashes on the planet or is blown up, but not before Tasha/River hacks herself into the Tardis and sends it to Clara so the Doctor doesn't die alone, which we saw in Name of the Doctor.

Clara does her time stream trick, becomes the impossible girl, and makes the Doctor wary of Trenzalore which makes the outcome play out as it does in Time of the Doctor, where Tasha's body is being taken over by Dalek programming. Given she is a program herself, she overcomes it.

Which means the splinter group she mentions are the ones that kidnap her as a baby!

I assumed that the first draft of the episode had River Song in it but the actress wasn't available so they did a quick rewrite and now Tasha Lem is the Thanos to River Song's Darkseid. I do, however, like Tank's read on it but I imagine if it's correct then Tasha Lem doesn't know she's River but, naturally, The Doctor does.

- The "everyone's naked under their clothes" line is one of Gaiman's from The Sandman.

- Is the truth field still working hundreds of years later when The Doctor lies to the kid about having a plan?

- Not sure how I feel about using regeneration as a weapon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.