Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

That was so awesome. ONE, because it more or less proves my theory! And TWO, because I always felt like Paul McGann deserved more given that he seems to have such love for the character. So cool. I just wish they had more than 6 minutes and 10 pounds to spend on it.

I also read a quote from Moffat today that said it seems like we know a lot, but that's just because the press covered what the shot outside. What they've shot on soundstages is totally a secret still. The last episode surprised us with some extra Doctors, maybe Day of the Doctor will too.

I recently rewatched the 8th's movie and there is so much in it that IS the modern version of Doctor Who. McGann was great and I felt jipped I never got to see him again.

So does the entirety of the internet apparently. Maybe the BBC will see that and consider it a way to make money and not lose it and give him a one-off episode or TV movie or something.

There's other ways they could work him in. Every multi-doctor story we've had brings them together by crossing his own timeline-- but they could always go a more traditional route and just do a story that has flashbacks.

For YEARS I was a TV Movie hater but I just recently watched again as part of my own 50th Anniversary marathon and it actually holds up quite well. The half human storyline is still a stinker. Little Short Round Asian guy is still annoying and the Master is meh. But it still has the best TARDIS interior and McGann does do a great job with the material he’s given! Compared to some of the material we’ve been given the past few years, the TV Movie is hardly the worst of Doctor Who.

At the beginning of the Night of the Doctor I literally suppressed a groan when I saw the TARDIS flying after the ship because I, like everyone else, expected Spas Doc 11 to leap out with all smiles and waving around his tricorder screwdriver. But nope! It was 8! And then a regeneration! Yes, I am now in the chorus of “Bring me more Doc8!”

Kinda sad that McGann's two canonical appearances are his birth and death!

Obviously they aren't going to give him his own show, I don't think they'd confuse the brand like that. They've done spin-offs before, but I think they'd be worried about two Doctor's at the same time.

What they SHOULD do is more webisodes like this. Do them as 5 minute serial episodes and have them run during the long hiatuses they always have between seasons.

Kinda sad that McGann's two canonical appearances are his birth and death!

Actually, that's not true. The people the 8th Doctor mentioned before he drank the regenerating elixir, Charlie, Lucie, Molly, Tamsin, and so on? They were all companions from the Big Finish audio dramas. Which brings his stories in those into canon with the television show.

That was a nice gesture on Moffet's part, as it legitimizes all the work Paul McGann has put in over the years.

I know he does the audio dramas, by canonical I meant on-screen. Tons of fans have been saying him name checking his companions canonizes the Big Finish stuff, but I feel like it's like EU. It's canon until it isn't.

Also-- whee the hell you been?!

I know he does the audio dramas, by canonical I meant on-screen. Tons of fans have been saying him name checking his companions canonizes the Big Finish stuff, but I feel like it's like EU. It's canon until it isn't.

Also-- whee the hell you been?!

My computer crapped out back in April, and it took me four months to get a new one. I just didn't feel like jumping through the hoops to dig up my Nightly password until yesterday. I didn't think anyone really noticed my absence.

WHOVIANS! ALERT!

Check your DVR settings and guide to make sure the new specials record this coming week. The 50th Anniversary Special is listed in my cable guide as "Doctor Who/Day of the Doctor" and so my series setting for "Doctor Who" doesn't acknowledge it. If your guide is the same, you will need to manually set the special to record.

WHOVIANS! ALERT!

Check your DVR settings and guide to make sure the new specials record this coming week. The 50th Anniversary Special is listed in my cable guide as "Doctor Who/Day of the Doctor" and so my series setting for "Doctor Who" doesn't acknowledge it. If your guide is the same, you will need to manually set the special to record.

Also, just a reminder: It's being simulcast all around the world when it airs in Britain, so it will air in the middle of the day in the U.S. So, American Whovians, don't look for it at it's usual time. According to TVGuide.com, It's airing around 2:00PM Central time, give or take 10 minutes.

His last comment-- that he's a "box-set" sort of guy and wanted to see every regeneration. Maybe that's a hint they've got Eccelson to do a cameo for either Joh Hurt, or a rebooted outside of the timelock McGann regenerating into the proper 9th Doctor...

His last comment-- that he's a "box-set" sort of guy and wanted to see every regeneration. Maybe that's a hint they've got Eccelson to do a cameo for either Joh Hurt, or a rebooted outside of the timelock McGann regenerating into the proper 9th Doctor...

I've heard a theory that there will be a surprise cameo of Eccelston, with Hurt's 'Doctor' regenerating into the '9th' Doctor. Of course, you know how rumors go, and Moffat has a tendency to put out red-herrings about things ('The Name of the Doctor' not actually mentioning his name, 'The Doctor's Wife' not having River Song, etc), so I would take things like that with a grain of salt.

I'm holding on to my theory that John Hurt does NOT regenerate into Eccelson and that his existence is an echo from the timelock. In my head that's how the numbering stays consistant. That or the timelords gave him his next regeneration as a freebie.

I think they need to somehow revisit the Fires of Pompei episode, with Tennant playing Caecilius now that Capaldi is the Doctor. Karen Gillan would obviously be brought back for this episode too, if they could somehow come up with a clever way to address her playing both Amy and the Soothsayer. They could something really neat with that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.